Transfer Speculation Summer 2017

Villan4Life

1 hour ago, rubberman said:

I can understand the sentiment, and yes it was a disastrous time to be relegated, but I think this is a bit overdramatic.  There will still always be 3 teams that get promoted and we will always be a bigger club down here - have bigger support and have better resources for developing kids etc - so (given the right manager) we would always be in the mix to go up.  FFP constraints apply to all clubs in the division.

But I agree it's depressing seeing the cash that the 'small' clubs in the PL can now splash about.

A bigger club, but hanging around mid table. And supporters will become increasingly disinterested. Falling attendances, less sponsorship, less clout in the transfer market. Not a pleasant situation.

And you cannot assume that we would always be in the mix to go up. We were not in the mix last season, and unless there is a dramatic upturn in our fortunes we will not be in the mix this season either. 

And that is with spending money and being a `big club'.

14 minutes ago, nazvfc said:

If it dwindles then goodbye to those that only follow villa when they are winning or in the premier league. Different times but we've always had big crowds in the lower leagues. 

I'd rather we have the supporters that will support no matter what division we are in than those who are 'plastic' and only want to support us if winning or in the top league. 

Most of us 'old farts' were there in the 70's in division 3 and will be here no matter what! 

I don't think Villa have any plastic fans left naz. The only plastic left takes the form of season tickets and pacemakers!

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Would give us the option of a different dimension to our game but at this stage of his career he'd want to be a starter - I'd still take him though .

Me too - I wanted us to get hi last January. I think he'd help get the best out of the rest of the team. Just look at the difference a 19 year old Davis made - but he can't play every game this season.

1 minute ago, TheAuthority said:

Me too - I wanted us to get hi last January. I think he'd help get the best out of the rest of the team. Just look at the difference a 19 year old Davis made - but he can't play every game this season.

Not sure I would have wanted hi , but with Ho in high office it might have been a silver lining ;) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

So far the average age of the players we've signed on permanent deals so far this summer is 32.8 y.o

Really hope we can Get Peter Crouch 36 y.o in so we can push it over 33 y.o.

If you count loans it down to 29 thanks to Onomah. Crouch would push it over 30.

#buildingforthefuture

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sne said:

So far the average age of the players we've signed on permanent deals so far this summer is 32.8 y.o

Really hope we can Get Peter Crouch 36 y.o in so we can push it over 33 y.o.

If you count loans it down to 29 thanks to Onomah. Crouch would push it over 30.

#buildingforthefuture

Regardless of the age thing we're not building for future anyway. At absolute best we're going to need to replace Terry, Samba, Johnstone, Onomah and Snodgrass next year. You could easily also need to be replacing a few of the older ones (Whelen, Jedinak) and the promising ones (Kodjia, Green etc) who are disappointed we won't challenge for promotion.

So I can see us needing basically a whole new team next year regardless of our divisional status. I'd rather we had Premier League money to do it so, as this is the route we've gone, I don't think a few more veterans can really hurt us if they can help us in the short term. We're on the brink and have all our eggs in one basket already so a few more won't make a difference. Personally I think we're scr*wed anyway now; wrong route, no plan and ever decreasing funds... good time to be a Villa Fan...

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Were you saying this when we signed them? I can't be arsed to go trawling through your posts from a year ago but I don't recall too many people kicking off about it then.

Hindsight, great thing.

As for the business SHA are doing, maybe best to wait and see how it pans out before putting it up against our own dealings as some form of shining example of how to do business.

Ill save you the searching i basically said i have reservations of spending that sort of money on a 30 year old but would support the manager. As for tish i had no idea how good or bad it was. Its all good you saying "hindsight great thing" but its terrible business. 

Even che adams got more goals than mccormack and he cost 1.2m! Candleface as much as i dislike the bloke has done great business on paper. Jota is a good lil player at 6m bargain and they can double their money eithin a couple years if he continues his form.

Meanwhile what return would we have made on mccormack?

6 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Agreed but Hepburn-Murphy has been injured a lot recently 

True. I still think his best bet is going on loan where he will be a starter. Best case scenario he gets a few sub minutes and maybe a start in the cup. No way Bruce starts him over Hogan or Kodjia. Also now with Davis' good form, I just don't see Murphy getting minutes

8 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

True. I still think his best bet is going on loan where he will be a starter. Best case scenario he gets a few sub minutes and maybe a start in the cup. No way Bruce starts him over Hogan or Kodjia. Also now with Davis' good form, I just don't see Murphy getting minutes

I think you are correct