Transfer Speculation Summer 2017

Villan4Life

17 minutes ago, KSV said:

hes also 30. I thought he was younger. Keepers do last longer but hes already on a downward spiral

Or he had a bad season or two and under the global spotlight struggled to regain form.

We've all seen players on a much smaller stage struggle so for someone like Hart with everyone picking apart every mistake it was likely impossible.

I think all he needs is a good run in a side that should be winning every game. We could rejuvenate him if anything. 

Edited by Daweii
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I don't agree at all with the suggestion that a) he'd be surplus to requirements as soon as we're promoted.

I've softened my stance there.  I think he would be OK for stage 1 of Premier League existence.  I think we just differ on whereabouts he sits above the lower Premier League echelons.  I would have him in tier 3 outside the De Geas of the world, and I'd have him mid to lower mid table.  Which means I also agree that right now, and for the next few years he'd be perfectly good for us.

I do still think he's over-rated though.

I think he's been lucky to keep his England spot but he'd still be a very good keeper for someone in the Premier League.  Putting my logical hat on I can actually see circumstances where we are an option for him, if City won't loan him to another team in the PL and nobody else needs a new keeper who can afford the £18m, it restricts the places he can go.  Like everyone else I'd be very, very shocked if we pulled it off though.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, BOF said:

I've softened my stance there.  I think he would be OK for stage 1 of Premier League existence.  I think we just differ on whereabouts he sits above the lower Premier League echelons.  I would have him in tier 3 outside the De Geas of the world, and I'd have him mid to lower mid table.  Which means I also agree that right now, and for the next few years he'd be perfectly good for us.

I do still think he's over-rated though.

Fair enough, I think we largely agree. I rate him slightly higher than you do, but I think we both agree that right now this would be a very good signing.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, carewjust4u said:

Messi, the greatest player to ever grace this earth, once called Joe Hart one of the best keepers on the planet....

....and yet still there are people on VT that react negatively at the prospect of him in claret and blue :thumb:

Won't he be in green, or yellow or some sort of daglow number?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BOF said:

Maybe.  But that's the extent of it for me.  We'd need rid if we wanted to progress beyond that.  I think there's still a slight undeserved aura around him because of his bewildering England involvement.  He's just spent a season letting clangers in for Torino.  We know England hype their players, and he's a prime example of that.  Bottom 6 Premier League is his level, and yes we want to get to that level for next season so maybe he's a good stopgap.  He's certainly another profile boost for the club, and landing Terry has made landing Hart all the more possible, if not entirely likely.

Maybe I'm being too negative.  He's good for where we are and he's probably good for stage 1 of our Premier League adventure if we get there.  So bring it on and we'll deal with the bit after that when we get there.

Yes, lets worry about *actually* getting promoted first!

• Like 2

I'm not much of a Hart fan and reckon he's been making plenty of mistakes recently.  That said he is still (just about) the current England no1 and added to that we don't have a keeper at all.  So on balance, though I know it would be a massive coup to get him, I'm not that enthused by it.

For the first time in a long time I intend to learn from the past and will be letting zero excitement pass through the empty channels in my brain until the season starts. 

Who a player is, what he's done in the past, how much he costs means little diddly until he's played in a Villa shirt. 

I'm very much looking forward to the 5th Aug and Hull but nowt else I tells ya. Even if we do sign the current England No1. 

16 minutes ago, sne said:

So would we be paying the full £110.000/w for Hart?

That is quite hefty for a Championship club to be paying for a GK.

It would certainly be a signal of intent. 

I think we could likely talk him down a bit, but likely not much as he is still coming to us (if he does) on a previous huge wage.

3 minutes ago, Daweii said:

It would certainly be a signal of intent. 

I think we could likely talk him down a bit, but likely not much as he is still coming to us (if he does) on a previous huge wage.

Are we actually signing him for the reported £18m? Surely not.

I was thinking it was a loan. If so he's under contract and that is £110K. 

Hopefully City will pay half of that.

Seems this is close - 

Steve Bruce is close to signing Ahmed Elmohamady for a THIRD time as the Egyptian edges towards a move to Aston Villa.

The Villa boss wants the right winger on board having previously worked with him at Hull City and Sunderland.

Elmohamady is keen on re-uniting with Bruce but Villa still need to agree a fee with Hull before the switch is sealed.

It’s understood that around £3million will be enough to land the 29-year-old but Villa are still negotiating and could swoop in the coming days.

Bruce has already tempted John Terry to sign for the claret and blues this summer and is making good progress with his next target.

He’s keen on Elmohamady because he can operate at right wing-back and a switch to three at the back could be on the cards next season following Terry’s arrival.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/aston-villa-transfers-elmohamady-closing-13292789

This Joe Hart thing is blatantly bs. Wyness said a couple of days ago we were in pole position to sign Sam Johnson. I think people are getting carried away with Twitter news and that mostly seems a mistake of a thing to do.