17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

Wasn't just the snow, we were absolutely terrible, they were totally there for the taking. Was so hard to watch us against Bolton, the QPR loss had killed the belief and then the going (weather) got tough and we **** off.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Well would it not have hampered Bolton as well?

Logically, anything that evens a tie up favours the inferior team. In addition, it hampered us more because we aren't as direct as Bolton. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, AntrimBlack said:

Gotta say it, AV, you are crazy. With a very few exceptions, we are producing average to poor performances against shitty little teams, many of whom have an entire team made up of players I have never heard of.

And most of the games have left me, even as a long term supporter, bored and sleep-inducing.

If we remain in this division, the most exciting part will be avoiding a steady, uninspiring decline.

Yes, this is the scary and depressing part of it. We probably won't continue "this winning thing" even if we stayed down here.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Well would it not have hampered Bolton as well?

Furthermore, what hampered us at QPR, and Hull for instance?

We have dribbling wingers and an attacking midfielder in Grealish who likes to pass the ball whereas Bolton play hoofball. That day the ground was covered with snow so the ball wasn't running true - it completely hampered our game much more than Bolton. I think the game should have been called off, but Bruce couldn't even adjust because an hour before kick off it didn't look that bad. Then the blizzard arrived and he'd already picked the team. If he had know it was going to be so bad maybe he could have had Jedi, Whelan, Davis etc. and gone "agricultural."

Bruce has said himself that his biggest mistake of the season was not mixing the team up for QPR. We were exhausted after Wolves and couldn't get anywhere near the same energy levels. (The game was on Tuesday after the Sat night game.)

Hull - you could say we should be winning against them but they aren't that bad and a point away from home isn't terrible in the scheme of things.

The game that really annoyed me was Norwich last week. They had nothing to play for and we simply got outfought. That was on the players IMO and out of all of the recent results that would be the one I'd be most critical of.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great team spirit in the last  2 games - well done to Bruce and his coaching team and all players for getting things back on track - let’s hope Norwich and Brentford do is a favour today -at worst it looks like we will finish 4th and avoids Fulham or Cardiff until Wembley should we go down the play off route -onwards and upwards !

whats gone is gone and we need to all unite behind manager and players in the coming weeks and see it through .

What happens in the summer can be left on the back burner until the season is over .

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

I don't care what anybody says I totally believe the snow at Bolton seriously hampered us.

It would be sickening to lose out by a couple of points just because of some bad bloody weather. 

A season is 46 games. We are surely not blaming the weather for not going up automatically are we? 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Apparently 80 points was enough to get 2nd last year ffs

Newcastle got 94

Brighton got 93

Fulham finished 6th with 80. 

(Source: Google) 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Apparently 80 points was enough to get 2nd last year ffs

To finish ahead of Reading who finished 3rd, we'd have needed 85 points and a goal difference of better than +4.

10 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

And had we done that we would have finished 3rd, not 2nd.

No, that's not how it works. For example if Brighton had finished with 85 points with a goal difference of +5, they would still have been promoted. To assume we would have needed to finish above 2nd to finish second would put us in a league of 25 teams, not 24.

20 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Sheff Utd and Milwall drew. 

Boro and Bristol City currently drawing.

Derby currently drawing to Burton.

Those other two play off spots really are up for grabs.

Burton winning now, fighting for their lives, hopefully the relegation candidates find another gear to derail the teams above us. lol

• Like 1