17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

20 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

Yes but they didn't. Therefore we would have needed 94 points to finish above them. Anyway, it's all academic because we finished nowhere near either total. Lol

You're still playing a 25 team championship!

It's all academic no matter how many points we get as the Premier League won't allow us to transpose this season's points on last season's table to enable us to be promoted (gits!).

Back to the hypothetical game, we could still finish with 87 points, easily enough to have gained us automatic promotion last season. ;)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Results today mean Derby will most likely need to pick up some points soon to stand a chance and their next two games are against Cardiff and Boro.

Then they visit villa park - I think derby have shot their bolt - can see them missing out totally on the top 6 from here .

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, brommy said:

You're still playing a 25 team championship!

It's all academic no matter how many points we get as the Premier League won't allow us to transpose this season's points on last season's table to enable us to be promoted (gits!).

Back to the hypothetical game, we could still finish with 87 points, easily enough to have gained us automatic promotion last season. ;)

How so? Aston Villa were one of the 24 teams in the Championship last season. If we had finished on 87 points we would have finished 3rd out of 24. Had Brighton not got 93 then we could have finished 2nd on 86 but they did so.... 

Anyway, it'd this season that matters now and it's going to be very tough in the play offs if it stays like it is. 

13 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I said boro would be a threat. With derbys bottle job we might get boro over two legs not liking that prospect...

Not worried about boro - only Millwall and Fulham give me concern and I’d expect to beat Millwall over 2 legs - would not fancy playing fulham at Wembley though ,  much prefer Cardiff 

2 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Then they visit villa park - I think derby have shot their bolt - can see them missing out totally on the top 6 from here .

Yup, they really messed up today.

45 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

Huh? 

To finish 2nd you have to finish above the team who finished 2nd. Not the team who finished 3rd. Think about it. If we had finished on 86 points we would have finished above Reading and in 3rd. 

The above does not make sense - unless you add Villa to the 24 other teams (creating a 25 team league!). Instead of a 25 team league, transpose us for the second place team - a team that would still have been promoted with 85 points GD +5. Simples.

5 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

How so? Aston Villa were one of the 24 teams in the Championship last season. If we had finished on 87 points we would have finished 3rd out of 24. Had Brighton not got 93 then we could have finished 2nd on 86 but they did so.... 

Anyway, it'd this season that matters now and it's going to be very tough in the play offs if it stays like it is. 

See explanations above.

We really shouldn't worry about any team more or less than another. We just have to make sure we go in fired up every game from now on. If we do that then we are the strongest contenders imo.

I bet the other playoff contenders are looking at us in there and not liking it one bit.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, TRO said:

Quite frankly, I don't care who we face in the play offs......they won't want  to face Villa.

Thats the villa, we know we can be.

I admire your optimism but can't help remembering when we were favourites over two legs against Bradford in 2013 and I also have some horrible memories of Wembley finals this century.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

We really shouldn't worry about any team more or less than another. We just have to make sure we go in fired up every game from now on. If we do that then we are the strongest contenders imo.

I bet the other playoff contenders are looking at us in there and not liking it one bit.

There's another argument that we should do what Huddersfield did last season - cruise the couple of games and rest players, ready for the playoffs.

Edited by brommy
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, brommy said:

....and then the league would have 25 teams in it. In this hypothetical game we replace the team in 2nd place, i.e. take out Brighton and replace them with Villa. If Brighton (us in our little game) had finished with 85 points with a goal difference of +5, they would have still have finished second.

As further explanation,  playing the supposition for surviving relegation, how many points (ignoring GD) would have needed to survive the table below?

Team W 40 points

Team X 35 points

Team Y 30 points

Team Z 25 points.

The answer is 36 points, NOT 41 points.

Hey @markavfc40remember this ? It all seems so very long ago now......:)

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

Also it’s 3 more games !! Shortens the dreaded close season :)......although on that logic it’s best to lose in the final as we then get at least 46 next year instead of a miserly 38....:unsure:

10 minutes ago, brommy said:

I admire your optimism but can't help remembering when we were favourites over two legs against Bradford in 2013 and I also have some horrible memories of Wembley finals this century.

Do you mean the wembley final where most of our key players were planning an escape route for the following season.

both these examples were the dark old  days.

10 minutes ago, brommy said:

There's another argument that we should do what Huddersfield did last season - cruise the couple of games and rest players, ready for the playoffs.

They scraped through the semi final on pens at Sheff Weds.

• Like 1