17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

Hopefully Norwich win this, but a draw would be decent too. Followed up with a draw against Derby and we just have to match them after that.

Or a draw/loss today, and Derby turning up the style to recover from a rough patch and keep their playoff hopes alive.

#winning ;)

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

I don't care what anybody says I totally believe the snow at Bolton seriously hampered us.

It would be sickening to lose out by a couple of points just because of some bad bloody weather. 

Whilst we’re moaning about the snow, remember that the QPR game should’ve taken place on the Saturday before and not the Tuesday after the Wolves game.

Just now, chappy said:

Whilst we’re moaning about the snow, remember that the QPR game should’ve taken place on the Saturday before and not the Tuesday after the Wolves game.

Catch 22, imagine if the extra rest allowed us time to get the Wolves performance?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Sheff Utd and Milwall drew. 

Boro and Bristol City currently drawing.

Derby currently drawing to Burton.

Those other two play off spots really are up for grabs.

A Brentford win at Fulham would see them within a win of the play off places - could be interesting . 

10 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

That's what they said in sky last year clowns have no idea what they are talking about

86 would have got Brighton up .

Hull got automatic promotion on 79 points under Bruce a few years back .

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 1

It's so frustrating to know that we only needed to win two of our matches against Bolton, Norwich, QPR, or Hull, and we'd be sitting in 2nd a point above Fulham even assuming they win their game in hand. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eastie said:

86 would have got Brighton up .

Hull got automatic promotion on 79 points under Bruce a few years back .

85 points and a very, very achievable goal difference of +5 to be precise ;). I've liked your post as someone else who understands how the hypothetical game works. :thumb:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Well would it not have hampered Bolton as well?

Furthermore, what hampered us at QPR, and Hull for instance?

I didn't mention QPR or Hull did I? 

I am not going to get into an indepth discussion about Bolton but 1) They as the home team left our box totally snow covered in the first half then cleared it in the second half for them. And 2) the snow was a complete leveller so it affected us as the superior team more. 

Like I said in my OP I don't care what anyone else thinks I think it hampered us. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, brommy said:

No, that's not how it works. For example if Brighton had finished with 85 points with a goal difference of +5, they would still have been promoted. To assume we would have needed to finish above 2nd to finish second would put us in a league of 25 teams, not 24.

Huh? 

To finish 2nd you have to finish above the team who finished 2nd. Not the team who finished 3rd. Think about it. If we had finished on 86 points we would have finished above Reading and in 3rd. 

1 minute ago, One For The Road said:

Huh? 

To finish 2nd you have to finish above the team who finished 2nd. Not the team who finished 3rd. Think about it. If we had finished on 86 points we would have finished above Reading and in 3rd. 

And Had Brighton  finished on 86 points they would still have been promoted in 2nd place 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eastie said:

Derby 3-1 down at burton - could miss out on the top 6 altogether again :D

God they really are bottling it.

The only positive of this is they will have to win that  Cardiff game.

Please Dean smith the villa fan help us and get a win tonight!

Just now, Eastie said:

And Had Brighton  finished on 86 points they would still have been promoted in 2nd place 

Yes but they didn't. Therefore we would have needed 94 points to finish above them. Anyway, it's all academic because we finished nowhere near either total. Lol