17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

I thought 87/88 points would be enough. Not so sure now. Especially with Fulham coming up the way they are and the fixtures they have left. We just need to win every game. That's the way we should look at it. We have some really tough games still left to play.  I am hoping teams like Leeds, Derby, Ipswich, Millwall will have nothing to play for so might take their foot off the gas. 

• Like 1

I hear a lot about Fulham and Cardiff "coming up". I'm not sure it's true - over the last 10 games they have both gained 1 point on us (admittedly, they have a better for and against over that period).

image.png

With 10 games to go, there's plenty of room for slip ups - as you can see from Wolves recent form (dropping 11 points against their nearest rivals). It really is a matter of keeping a winning run going, something I'm confident we can do.

Edit: 1 image was enough.

Edited by ozvillafan

10 hours ago, A'Villan said:

The form guide over the last 10 would actually have Fulham and Villa in automatic promotion places come season end.

Provided that Villa beat Cardiff.

I highly doubt that will happen, but I'm just saying if things continue as they are results wise, that's what will happen.

The form guide is fantastic for all 3 teams, who is in the best form depend on how many games you use. Fulham have the best results for me, they have won vs the best teams.

If you take the last six games, Cardiff ends on 103 points (maximum points for them). We ends a point behind Wolves and Fulham, all around 92-93 points. 

Wolves will do better than that for sure. They have played away to us and Fulham. Think they felt a bit safe too, some games ago.

if we ends on 91-93 points, Cardiff have to drop points in four games or more. Lose only 3 and they finish on 94 points. This week its two must win games for us.  Cardif have to give away points too, if not they can't win more than half of the last 8 games.

Fearing Fulham more but Cardiff, have that knack like us at picking up results. They have a really tough run and I echo what was said above that if they are 2nd in a months time they deserve it and they'll probably get it.

The one thing with Fulham is their recent run has coincided with Mitrovic getting the majority of the goals, if he goes off the boil or gets injured it will be interesting to see if their pattern continues. Kamara got the majority of his goals in two games and Fonte didn't seem to work for them. They are then relying on a 17 year old Sessegnon to keep up with his fantastic form.

Cardiff spread their goals more evenly which has proven even with their injury issues that they can be confident of getting a goal from somewhere every game.

1 hour ago, ozvillafan said:

I hear a lot about Fulham and Cardiff "coming up". I'm not sure it's true - over the last 10 games they have both gained 1 point on us (admittedly, they have a better for and against over that period).

image.png

With 10 games to go, there's plenty of room for slip ups - as you can see from Wolves recent form (dropping 11 points against their nearest rivals). It really is a matter of keeping a winning run going, something I'm confident we can do.

I’ll take that over the next 10 games with the one exception of us beating Cardiff. 

11 minutes ago, praisedmambo said:

So that would leave us third then surely? :unsure:

No Cardiff would be ahead of us but we would both be ahead of Wolves....Ill give him the benefit of the doubt :)

2 hours ago, ozvillafan said:

image.png

Thing with Fulham that’s very impressive is in those 10 games they’ve played and beat most of the top teams.

Edited by Eastie

2 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Thing with Fulham that’s very impressive is in those 10 games they’ve played and beat most of the top teams.

Yup. Worrying. However, our hope is that we have a 2 game cushion on them and they tend to struggle more against the weaker teams.

4 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Yup. Worrying. However, our hope is that we have a 2 game cushion on them and they tend to struggle more against the weaker teams.

If we carry on as we have the last 3 games we will be unstoppable - exciting times ahead 

Edited by Eastie

I think the good thing from our point of view is that we have a run of easier games now, with harder games to follow towards the end of the season. We need to make up 3 or 4 points on Cardiff whilst the fixtures are relatively kind and carry that confidence into the Cardiff game and the tricky games that follow that game. Yes it will get nervy towards the end of the season, but if we are in the hot seat at that point then we will have had a good run of wins to give us confidence we can get the job done. Not to mention many of the mid-tablers will be on the beach at that late stage of the season.

3 hours ago, ozvillafan said:

image.png

Good to see Brentford doing so well!

Wolves Result Points Cardiff Result Points Villa Result Points Fulham Result Points
    76     73     69     68
Reading (H) W 79 Brentford (A) D 74 QPR (H) W 72      
Burton (H) W 82 Derby (A) D 75 Bolton (A) W 75 QPR (H) W 71
Boro (A) D 83 Burton (H) W 78 Hull (A) D 76 Norwich (A) D 72
Hull (H) W 86 Sheff Utd (A) D 79 Reading (H) W 79 Leeds (H) W 75
Cardiff (A) D 87 Wolves (H) D 80 Norwich (A) L 79 Sheff Wed (A) W 78
Derby (H) W 90 Villa (A) L 80 Cardiff (H) W 82 Reading (H) W 81
Blues (H) W 93 Norwich (A) D 81 Leeds (H) W 85 Brentford (H) D 82
Bolton (A) D 94 Forest (H) W 84 Ipswich (A) D 86 Millwall (A) D 83
Sheff Wed (H) W 97 Hull (A) W 87 Derby (H) W 89 Sunderland (H) W 86
Sunderland (A) D 98 Reading (H) W 90 Millwall (A) D 90 Birmingham City (A) W 89

Total Points   98     90     90     89

The run-in predicted. Not sure my heart could take that. 

• Like 1

2 defeats between 4 clubs in that many games ? No way, not for me. We shall see.

My view...

I don’t think many teams will live with us if Snodders Jack, Albert, CH and Grabban stay fit. That’s a lot of firepower for this League. I think over the next 10 games it will give us the edge.

• Like 1