17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

14 hours ago, Jareth said:

Had the pleasure of a night out with an ex-footballer / Man Citeh fan t'other night (I say pleasure..). He thought Villa were clear favourites to go up, and I said fair enough but we've had 6 seasons of decline - I can't be optimistic. That was my heart talking, my head says we will go up. 

From an outsiders perspective we should definately go up!

• Like 1

On 7/10/2017 at 22:51, wazzap24 said:

Assuming we sort the goal keeper issue out, we've got the best squad in the league by a mile. There's nothing unrealistic about expecting automatic promotion. The manager just needs to get us playing.

How do you feel about that now that we haven't "sorted the goal keeper issue out"?

(Unless you call re-signing a rookie 21 year old sorting out our keeper problem of course)

Edited by One For The Road
  • Like 2

What i like about our planning for promotion is we got most of the players in before the season starts. Hopefully this will help with team bonding getting to understand each other etc.  I think adding so many players in January took time to blend in 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

What i like about our planning for promotion is we got most of the players in before the season starts. Hopefully this will help with team bonding getting to understand each other etc.  I think adding so many players in January took time to blend in 

But that was 6 months ago and they still haven't "blended". Im not sure I see the relevance of the time of year when they have been playing together for half a year and still play like strangers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, One For The Road said:

But that was 6 months ago and they still haven't "blended". Im not sure I see the relevance of the time of year when they have been playing together for half a year and still play like strangers.

How do you know they haven't?

3 hours ago, One For The Road said:

How do you feel about that now that we haven't "sorted the goal keeper issue out"?

(Unless you call re-signing a rookie 21 year old sorting out our keeper problem of course)

To be fair, I think he's decent and got better the more he played. Another year older and no settling in. I'd have preferred him permanently, because I've never really been a fan of developing other people's players,  but it'll do for me. 

Doesn't change my view and as we get closer I'm more confident it's gonna happen for us this year. 

@Demitri_CNo. I said the players that we signed in January have not blended in 6 months. Therefore I dont think its the fact that they were signed in January that's the problem.

Also, we have looked dreadful in pre-season and I believe that even taking just those games, (which I'm not) Id say we are in trouble. Add to that the disaster of the last 6 months and I can't see where we are going to get the goals and points needed to finish in the top 6.

We haven't addressed any of the key areas where we lacked last year and as such I expect us to finish in a similar, though slightly better, position.

Edited by One For The Road

At present based on last season under Bruce and the preseason so far, i would say we have no chance of automatic promotion.

The squad is good enough to get a play off place, but i wouldn't put money on it, it could be another January manager change and another rebuilding process or the new signings solidify the team enough that we become hard to beat, whatever happens it won't be pretty.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

@Demitri_CNo. I said the players that we signed in January have not blended in 6 months. Therefore I dont think its the fact that they were signed in January that's the problem.

Also, we have looked dreadful in pre-season and I believe that even taking just those games, (which I'm not) Id say we are in trouble. Add to that the disaster of the last 6 months and I can't see where we are going to get the goals and points needed to finish in the top 6.

We haven't addressed any of the key areas where we lacked last year and as such I expect us to finish in a similar, though slightly better, position.

I would probably share that view with you if they perform the same way at the start of the season. But I think we will see better from the likes of Lansbury and hourihane

I'm nervous about the amount of new faces again, i really suspect I'll be reading about how they "need time to gel" going into November again. Then when January comes around and we're mid-table we'll probably bring in another half a team.

The only thing I can complain about from Dr T is backing the manger too well...

9 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

One more at most, as a loan unless anything really unexpected happens. I agree, there are no excuses to be had with this squad. It's all on Bruce's head now...

II do think the players need to carry some degree of responsibility. I know there's differences of opinion between fans on tactics generally, but I do think some players need to step up a gear performance wise. 

The settling in, adjusting to expectations at a bigger club, getting to know new team mates etc - all that's done now, we need to see some big performances from the likes of Hourihane, Hogan and Lansbury. Bruce needs to give them the platform, but they've got to go out and fill the shirt. 

• Like 1

do you mean like McCormack (20 games 3 goals) and Hogan (13 Games 1 goal)? and both reportedly signed for 'up to £12m'?

I know McCormack isn't a Bruce pick but it does highlight your point. I'd be inclined to agree with you. We need more from Johnstone, Green, Grealish, Birkir, Hourihane, Lansbury, Hogan, McCormack and Gabby on what we saw last year.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Met my Leeds fan mate today and he thinks we are the galactose of the Championship and will piss it.

its funny how other fans see us.

It's that new sports drink the pros are raving about! 

But seriously, we are the Galacticos of this division and we should piss it. 

41 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Met my Leeds fan mate today and he thinks we are the galactose of the Championship and will piss it.

Under a different regime I'm sure most of us would also share that view.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Met my Leeds fan mate today and he thinks we are the galactose of the Championship and will piss it.

I've got a Leicester City mate who thinks exactly the same. 

Neutral who look at our squad and manager should think we will piss it because we should. Watching how we play is the thing that brings those expectations down. I just pray we can get enough right to move out of this league. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

we only need Hogan or McMackintosh, or Gobby or even Grealish to actually score the goals they are paid to score we might actually be alright

• Like 1