17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

4 hours ago, Midfielder said:

But anyway. Fingers, toes and nob crossed that our shirts sport the premier league arm patches next year (and the year after)!

Surely, to cross one's nob, one needs a double stranded nob? Or some sort of skin flap they could substitute it for? 

11 minutes ago, VERB27 said:

Think this is all on us. Our competitors are good, but over a season we should be better.

Our squad is more than good enough for top 2. 

If we perform, we go up - don't think it will quite be that simple though unfortunately. 

This is Aston Villa, for some reason things just don't go out way 

Just bear in mind that Newcastle lost their first two games of the season last year and still went up.

Its consistancy that we need this year - convert those draws last season to wins and those losses to draws and we will be near the top.

Regards

Del

• Like 1

1 hour ago, delboy54 said:

Just bear in mind that Newcastle lost their first two games of the season last year and still went up.

Its consistancy that we need this year - convert those draws last season to wins and those losses to draws and we will be near the top.

Regards

Del

They went up as Champions too. It's a long old season. I do think we need to hit the ground running, but that's more for a consistency and confidence point of view than and actual points need. Couldn't hurt to win the first 3 games though :) 

1 hour ago, delboy54 said:

Regards

Del

Dude we lose our first game there will be a VT meltdown.  Never mind first 2! 

I think we'll going to wrap things up quite early in the season.  I'm really optimistic.  

The unbeaten run we went on towards the back end of last season showed us that we're capable of being a real force in this division and any lower than 4th would definitely be poor. We've since added experience to the side and had time to bed in the hundreds* of players we bought last season. I'm feeling optimistic and looking forward to this season.

* exaggeration. 

8 hours ago, delboy54 said:

Regards

Del

I think if we go unbeaten we will be better than near the top.

• Haha 1

Hogan is the key to our promotion charge this year if he catches fire we go up ,think we will be solid at the back it's goals that worry me if we can supply Hogan it will be vital .Kodjia has proved he can score just needs more help  .Get Hogan scoring and a few more regular scorers from midfield and we will be hard to stop .

• Like 2

We need a good start to the season as that will give the players much needed confidence. Bruce definitely needs a good start as manager, otherwise the fans will turn on him. That much is plain obvious to me. 

This is all about results for me. While I would like to see us play attractive football, I just don't think we will under Bruce. At this point I don't really care so much. Let's just get winning plenty of games. My fingers are crossed!

I think this theory bruce plays this football, that football, or other football is a total myth.

steve bruce plays practical football to get results.

if that same football is bringing in results week in week out......you can then afford to do it in a bit of style, with a bit of swagger.......you have to earn that, not just go out and play it.

thats called attractive football.........in that order.

• Like 3

I think we'll see more goals this throughout the team, especially from set pieces.

Terry -6

Chester -4

Samba - 4

Jedinak -3

Hourihane - 7

Lansbury -6 

Green - 4

Grealish -6

Elmohamady - 4

Gabby - 7

Hogan - 12

Kodjia - 21

Horihane 7 - Hogan 12 - what on earth makes you think that ? . I be chuffed with a combined total of 6 from those pair.

I think as last season - we will struggle to score goals, just hope Bruce, even at that late stage brings in another striker.

7 minutes ago, hippo said:

Horihane 7 - Hogan 12 - what on earth makes you think that ? . I be chuffed with a combined total of 6 from those pair.

I think as last season - we will struggle to score goals, just hope Bruce, even at that late stage brings in another striker.

Anything less than 10 for Hogan will mean he has drastically underachieved, and whilst I can't see Hourihane getting more than 5 it's certainly not outside the realms of possibility.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, 7392craig said:

Anything less than 10 for Hogan will mean he has drastically underachieved, and whilst I can't see Hourihane getting more than 5 it's certainly not outside the realms of possibility.

Why would that be such a surprise though ? - he's looked a million miles of the pace since he joined us. Didn't look any different to last season v Watford.

Wait, another striker? I thought that was a joke first time I read it, but it seems to be doing the rounds. 

Kodjia, Hogan, Gabby, RHM, Davis, O'Hare.

Kodjia and Hogan are proven goalscorers at this level, Gabby looks fitter than he has in a decade and we know what we're getting from him which should be capable at this level. Then we have 3 young strikers of varying styles backing them up, you have to think one of them will make some kind of impact. McCormack is still on the books at this present moment too.

Another striker? Nah not for me, no more money for strikers thanks. Bruce has to work with what he has. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, hippo said:

Why would that be such a surprise though ? - he's looked a million miles of the pace since he joined us. Didn't look any different to last season v Watford.

It should be a surprise due to the fact he's looked like a natural goal scorer until he joined us, and still showed glimpses of it during his time here. He was either injured or carrying an injury last season so I'm not passing judgement on him yet until he's had a full season. I think judging players too quickly is one thing our fans do too much.

• Like 2