New Manager : 2017

darrenm

I keep reading Bruce is experienced in the championship. And yes that's true. But has he any experience at being successful with the challenge that now faces him?

We need stability, but that stability has to be given to the right man and the right kind of manager. When Bruce was appointed I thought we were the right club for a manager like Bruce to be given time with. But I was wrong, we are not that club. We require more than just an experienced man who can organise and motivate the team. We need someone to come and build an identity, a style, through coaching and tactics and build something from the ground up. I don't think Steve Bruce is that man. 

If we give Bruce more time I think we're deluding ourselves into thinking we're a club that we just aren't. 

Next year is so massive in terms of the long term picture for this club. It could be our wasted opportunity by persisting with a decent manager not suited to the task at hand. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

We need stability, but that stability has to be given to the right man and the right kind of manager. When Bruce was appointed I thought we were the right club for a manager like Bruce to be given time with. But I was wrong, we are not that club. We require more than just an experienced man who can organise and motivate the team. We need someone to come and build an identity, a style, through coaching and tactics and build something from the ground up. I don't think Steve Bruce is that man. 

That'd be a nice start though. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

With our financial clout, I'd take Hoddle now . Imo he's one of the best British coaches out there. England played the best football I've seen in my lifetime, under him .

50 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

With our financial clout, I'd take Hoddle now . Imo he's one of the best British coaches out there. England played the best football I've seen in my lifetime, under him .

How anyone can say that Hoddle is a dinosaur is simply beyond me- I can only imagine them being too young to appreciate him.

i'm tying to be supportive of Bruce despite my head telling me differently- but I would have him out tomorrow if there was a sniff of a chance that Hoddle might join us. 

I just want to see an Aston Villa that is aesthetically pleasing . All that money spent ,and for What? Even when we were winning I could see beyond the luck, and now here we are ,probably the most expensive, disjointed, dour team to ever play in this league .

There can be no justification for what we are having to witness week in ,week out .

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dave J said:

How anyone can say that Hoddle is a dinosaur is simply beyond me- I can only imagine them being too young to appreciate him.

i'm tying to be supportive of Bruce despite my head telling me differently- but I would have him out tomorrow if there was a sniff of a chance that Hoddle might join us. 

I'm young enough to not remember Hoddle as a player. But as a manager I fully remember him. His last role (ended 2006)at Wolves and Spurs before that were poor, at one point he was trying to play Carl Cort as a winger. He wasn't involved with professional football until 2014,under Harry Redknapp; when Redknapp and him got sacked for a poor job (as with any managerial sacking).

So despite no management history for 10 years, and failing in his last few roles at the time, you want him over Bruce who got promotion LAST season? On what basis? 

8 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

I'm young enough to not remember Hoddle as a player. But as a manager I fully remember him. His last role (ended 2006)at Wolves and Spurs before that were poor, at one point he was trying to play Carl Cort as a winger. He wasn't involved with professional football until 2014,under Harry Redknapp; when Redknapp and him got sacked for a poor job (as with any managerial sacking).

So despite no management history for 10 years, and failing in his last few roles at the time, you want him over Bruce who got promotion LAST season? On what basis? 

You make some valid points that I cannot argue against, however I note that you do not make mention of the good jobs that he did at firstly Swindon Town and then helping to restablish Chelsea as a force whilst also encouraging big names to the club- England came knocking next and I feel you might be a little surprised by his win ratio here. He also did a very good job at Southampton before Spuds came knocking for him. 

In my view he was and remains one of this country's most forward thinking coaches and whilst I am not clamouring for Bruce to go - if there is a chance to replace him with Hoddle then 1000% yes from me.

Whatever the arguments for keeping or sacking Bruce, I just hope that if and when Bruce goes we get a good **** coach. Someone like Sarri, someone who will place the emphasis on the basics of first touch, passing and movement, not giving away the ball etc. Since I can remember (even under the most recent relative success of MON) we have had trouble with this stuff. Good movement off the ball has been lacking for so long, any kind of pattern of play has been lacking for ages. We seem to be deficient in the basics of game and have been for ages now. I would love a proper coach, not big personality or name or ego or whatever, just a top class coach to bring in a team of people in at bodymoor who can IMPROVE a player, build a coherent team with a style that can adapt to different systems and different problems other teams pose. Can even have a figurehead "manager" just for the press for all I care, we need someone to sort out what happens at bodymoor heath...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dave J said:

You make some valid points that I cannot argue against, however I note that you do not make mention of the good jobs that he did at firstly Swindon Town and then helping to restablish Chelsea as a force whilst also encouraging big names to the club- England came knocking next and I feel you might be a little surprised by his win ratio here. He also did a very good job at Southampton before Spuds came knocking for him. 

In my view he was and remains one of this country's most forward thinking coaches and whilst I am not clamouring for Bruce to go - if there is a chance to replace him with Hoddle then 1000% yes from me.

Because they are irrelevant, his time is in the past. He should be judged on his recent failures

On 2/17/2017 at 06:26, KSV said:

Its such a lose lose situation. We cant have another manager that comes in and doesnt rate the squad and wants to bring his own again. 

However, if Bruce is dire.. it doesnt leave us with many options. Hes been there and done that..  if anyone deserves a longer go at it.. its probably him. 

We just need to pray he scrapes through this season and we stay up. Give him the off season and go again. Maybe bring in better coaches.. better goalkeeper and CB. Sell a few of the awful players. Start again next season. 

Risk is him staying and we go down. Unlikely but we said that last year. 

Pretty much this.

Even if we loss the next three game he has to stay.  We cannot afford another manager and another squad at this level. Bruce has to be given time to work with this squad whether we like it or not.

5 hours ago, astonaidan said:

Because they are irrelevant, his time is in the past. He should be judged on his recent failures

Well his recent failures are not that more or less any relavant than his recent successes in my view.

I'm not happy at all with Bruce and wouldn't mind if he went but I don't buy this "luck" argument with regards to his first dozen games or so. We weren't really that lucky, we were just grinding out wins against teams who mostly had inferior squads. The problem was that we could never perform away and so when we had to play 4 away games out of 5 confidence was totally shot and now we can't even grind out points at home. The buck stops with the manager and it's shameful that he hasn't been able to sort this out but those decent results in November/December weren't "luck".

Mark Hughes had plenty of PL experience when he took the QPR job.  He made a complete hames of it; so much so, they are still counting the cost of it now.  

It's weird, because in most of his other jobs he has done reasonably well. Sometimes it's just destined not to work out.  What both he and Bruce have in common in this scenario is a free hand in the transfer market soon after arriving.   Hughes didn't have that at any other job (he had money at Citeh, but not huge darts initially under the former Thai owner) and nor has Bruce, as far as I can recall. 

For managers used to working to a budget, perhaps being in the unusual position of being able to splurge is ruinous for them. Rather than targeting the one or two key players who can make a difference and trying to get a side to evolve, they rip the whole thing up -and extinguish any existing team chemistry in the process. 

Just a theory, not something to take to the bank. 

What I would say is that QPR wouldn't have been better off letting Hughes carry on on that trajectory just because he'd done OK at other clubs. 

Edited by HolteExile