New Manager : 2017

darrenm

7 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Keeping him might do the same.

Well to be honest if we are to go down with either then id say stick with Bruce!

At least we dont have to start again, whilst simultaneously putting off any credible manager with yet more knee jerk recruitment

3 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Well to be honest if we are to go down with either then id say stick with Bruce!

At least we dont have to start again, whilst simultaneously putting off any credible manager with yet more knee jerk recruitment

We've been swapping managers for years and we still attracted a proven one at this level. I seriously doubt sacking Bruce would put off credible managers. 

4 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

We've been swapping managers for years and we still attracted a proven one at this level. I seriously doubt sacking Bruce would put off credible managers. 

Alright then DC now that I'm turning to the dark side, give me a credible name you would put forward.....

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

If we are to get rid of Bruce Id only want to do so on the proviso that we would be getting a BETTER manager than Bruce.  

Most of these managers are in work with other teams.

Would it help us poach one from another team? Id guess yes.

I know the league table and our form are terribly worrying but we are not going down, any halfwit should be able to keep this squad of players in the championship. 

The key is next season, we simply have to go up. So a decision has to made now, not in the summer, not next xmas, now. The club either continue to support Bruce of the think he's the right man, or give him the bullet allowing a new manger a good run at next year. 

The silence is deafening at the moment so i suspect they are considering their options, in which case i think he will be gone sooner rather than later. 

After RDM i said that i thought the idea of a Villa fan in charge would really appeal to Xia (he just seems like that sort of bloke) so i thought we would go for Rowett. Alas, that wasn't the case, but using the same logic i think Rowett and Dean Smith could be high on the clubs shortlist. 

Dean Smith would be my pick. He has done a very good job at Walsall and Brentford and clearly knows how to get the best out of Scott Hogan. And he absolutely Villa mad, the bloke would walk here. 

56 minutes ago, av1 said:

Dean Smith would be my pick. He has done a very good job at Walsall and Brentford and clearly knows how to get the best out of Scott Hogan.

He's really not universally liked at Brentford. I'm not saying he's a bad manager but I know there are significant frustrations with what he's delivered so far. As far as those in charge of the club are concerned, they believe he is underperforming at the moment but not to such a significant level that they're considering moving him on (there are mitigating circumstances). 

I think he is at his current level. He may well be a better manager in future but I think he needs much more experience before stepping* up to a job like Villa.

*Obvious caveats about league position, stepping up, etc

1 hour ago, Nigel said:

If we are to get rid of Bruce Id only want to do so on the proviso that we would be getting a BETTER manager than Bruce.  

Most of these managers are in work with other teams.

Would it help us poach one from another team? Id guess yes.

The funny thing is, the names you see being put forward on this site are managers in the Championship who are doing well this season. Managers who obviously wouldn't be leaving at this point so we'd have to wait until summer. If those managers were to get promoted to the PL, they wouldn't be joining us. So we'd be signing someone who bottled it. Unlike Bruce, who actually did achieve promotion in his previous season.

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

No chance after the way he left and dumped us in it. Rowett for me. Maybe he's young and inexperienced but we have gone down the other route and most importantly he's available, but wont be for long

Too much of a risk for me - could be another who can't cope with a club the size of villa - if I was to choose from those available it would be warburton .

Bruce & co. out now, get Rowett in immediately & then take stock and review after this season.

Don't waste anymore time, give someone else a chance or we are going down.

Completely beyond a joke now, Enough is enough.

post-59605-star-trek-picard-that-is-enou

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1

Last night was frightening. I expected to lose to Newcastle, but the display in the second half was a disgrace, it was like a training kickabout for a Newcastle side who were poor themselves. Steve Bruce did nothing to try and get us into the game, the subs were way too late and he just stood there looking glum, with no clue what to do. 

I was in the camp of giving him time, but there was no glimmer of light, nothing. It was almost as if we went out to play for a draw and that was our only plan. When we went behind, it was almost as if the attitude was "ah shit, that didn't work, oh well we tried" 

There was nothing to convince me that he stands any chance of turning this around (or has any idea how to). 

We are not going to get better and we are in serious danger of being relegated. 

Last season, I did not believe until fairly late on that we would really get relegated from the Prem, now we are in serious danger of being relegated from the Championship. 

Bruce needs to go. Bring in Rowett, a Villa fan so will not put up with this shit and will do something about it.

Edited by TheStagMan

Things have gotten so bad under Bruce that you can forget about using the word promotion or even thinking about it. We are actually just struggling to survive in this bar steward of a league now!

Right now, we don't need the best or a wonderful manager (that's how far we have fallen). We need someone who can get wins, can motivate and instil some belief and confidence into these players who are looking bereft of that and clearly have no clear idea, systems or instructions to follow under the current incumbent. 

Times are desperate, the time for change is now.

Do it or we are gone...

4 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Don't want another ex blues boss certainly not as recent as rowett , warburton did a good job for  rangers a big club and he's also got championship experience - would prefer him to rowett

Ex blues means nothing, he only managed the club. He didn't support them. After the way he was treated by the new owners there he will have a massive point to prove.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PaulC said:

Ex blues means nothing, he only managed the club. He didn't support them. After the way he was treated by the new owners there he will have a massive point to prove.

Still a risk as he's never managed a big club or played for one and could easily be swallowed up by expectations here - Wagner would be a great coup but I doubt he would come here - warburton has managed rangers and is a top motivator - he would be a solid choice but I doubt any permanent decision would be made until the summer - id take rowett until the end of the season at a push but he wouldn't be first choice .

No question Wagner has done a magnificent job at Huddersfield. Rowett managed to get a very poor set of players at Blues to compete for a play off spot. Not sure who I would prefer, but the football Huddersfield are playing is excellent.

1 minute ago, PaulC said:

No question Wagner has done a magnificent job at Huddersfield. Rowett managed to get a very poor set of players at Blues to compete for a play off spot. Not sure who I would prefer, but the football Huddersfield are playing is excellent.

I think the passion and quality Wagner brings is fantastic - could we get him if Huddersfield don't go up or will he will looking for bigger things ,

wagner would be my top target if there is any chance of getting him 

• Like 1

Rowett is EXACTLY what we need. He's tailored made for eradicating the mercenary, don't give a f**k culture we have had for the past 5 years. I have mate who is close to a few down the blues and they say no-one steps out of line with him.

It actually frustrates the hell out of me that we are where we are and he is free and available.

The added bonus of rubbing it in the bluenose's faces too would be priceless.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Eastie said:

I think the passion and quality Wagner brings is fantastic - could we get him if Huddersfield don't go up or will he will looking for bigger things ,

wagner would be my top target if there is any chance of getting him 

Yes he learnt a lot from Klopp

Just now, villanmac said:

Rowett is EXACTLY what we need. He's tailored made for eradicating the mercenary, don't give a f**k culture we have had for the past 5 years. I have mate who is close to a few down the blues and they say no-one steps out of line with him.

It actually frustrates the hell out of me that we are where we are and he is free and available.

The added bonus of rubbing it in the bluenose's faces too would be priceless.

Yes it annoys me that he is out of work and we are stuck with Bruce

• Like 1