New Manager : 2017

darrenm

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

Can't agree. 

New players, who are proven at the level they're at, needing time to gel should not result in some of the worst form by any professional team in 2017. 

That's more than just needing time to gel. 

I accept, you can't agree and I have now way of proving to you.... but my resolve on this matter remains.

Edited by TRO

11 minutes ago, TRO said:

I accept, you can't agree and I have now way of proving to you.... but my resolve on this matter remains.

If what you say is true, then our potential is probably very low for when things to do gel. 

Because let's be honest, it's highly unlikely that a team goes from worst performing in English professional football, to promotion to the premier league, based on a few new players clicking with existing ones. 

5 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

If it was just gelling TRO then surely we'd see some attempts to play a certain way and some sort of progress, even if it were slow progress. But we play different formations and chop and change players game by game. Perhaps there is a plan, but I'm afraid I can't see what it is. Talk of Richards coming back just adds to a sense of floundering desperation. It's a bit like justice, it can't just be done, it has to be seen to be done.

Dave I am not attempting to try and convince anyone, that I know whats wrong.....but I am comfortable in my own mind that I do know.

I don't think its the manager,......in the sense that its the way they are being told to play, but it could be in the sense of what players he has bought...they are good, but they the right types to balance a team?

Don't misconstrue me on that, they are players I was/am pleased with, but I am unsure the balance is still right......I did say in earlier posts it will take more than one window to arrest the demise.

I have difficulty in trying to explain my feelings on this suffice to say, I hope he is able to secure a win to get the time......I do understand folks opinions in saying you just can't go on losing....I think every manager would agree on that.

but equally, we must accept  that those that never favoured Bruce have now got sufficient ammunition and that do, in tangible terms, have the stronger argument.....I guess if he went on a run of several wins my argument would gain strength.

1 minute ago, TRO said:

Dave I am not attempting to try and convince anyone, that I know whats wrong.....but I am comfortable in my own mind that I do know.

I don't think its the manager,......in the sense that its the way they are being told to play, but it could be in the sense of what players he has bought...they are good, but they the right types to balance a team?

Don't misconstrue me on that, they are players I was/am pleased with, but I am unsure the balance is still right......I did say in earlier posts it will take more than one window to arrest the demise.

I have difficulty in trying to explain my feelings on this suffice to say, I hope he is able to secure a win to get the time......I do understand folks opinions in saying you just can't go on losing....I think every manager would agree on that.

but equally, we must accept  that those that never favoured Bruce have now got sufficient ammunition and that do, in tangible terms, have the stronger argument.....I guess if he went on a run of several wins my argument would gain strength.

Sometimes things just click with the right personnel in the right position and I dare say jedinak could be the key  to getting the best from hourihane and Lansbury.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

If what you say is true, then our potential is probably very low for when things to do gel. 

Because let's be honest, it's highly unlikely that a team goes from worst performing in English professional football, to promotion to the premier league, based on a few new players clicking with existing ones. 

Well one has just gone from Premier league champions to fighting relegation.....(.We did something similar in 1986, when HDE ripped the team apart. He sacked Tony Barton for finishing 10th in (1984)with the best win Ratio in his stint since the war 47%.....Graham Turner then played Mortimer on the wing at Forest and we lost 5-0 in sept 1984)......They dismantled the Team on the excuse of high wages.

It can equally go the other way.

We have good players make no mistake.....but not a good team.

Dave I am not trying to be holier than thou, I'm really not......but you can think you can see it or you can't.

I might be wrong, but I don't think I am.....Stick with Steve Bruce for as long as we can, unless results do just take over.

only results can save him....until they all get a bit of confidence back.

its a bit of a paradox really.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Sometimes things just click with the right personnel in the right position and I dare say jedinak could be the key  to getting the best from hourihane and Lansbury.

I think he will have a big say in that.....but unfortunately every game we lose another nail goes in to the proverbial coffin.

I agree TRO confidence is a bit of a chicken or egg thing :P.

As far as sacking Steve Bruce is concerned, I'm only for it if we have a plan. We can't just sack him and then ask, what next? On balance the best thing for the club is he gets a few results and we lift the threat of relegation, then we can use the time to properly assess where we're going. My fear is he won't get the results amd we're stuck between a rock and a hard place. Hopefully we have plans for both scenarios. 

22 minutes ago, TRO said:

Well one has just gone from Premier league champions to fighting relegation.....(.We did something similar in 1986, when HDE ripped the team apart. He sacked Tony Barton for finishing 10th in (1984)with the best win Ratio in his stint since the war 47%.....Graham Turner then played Mortimer on the wing at Forest and we lost 5-0 in sept 1984)......They dismantled the Team on the excuse of high wages.

It can equally go the other way.

We have good players make no mistake.....but not a good team.

Dave I am not trying to be holier than thou, I'm really not......but you can think you can see it or you can't.

I might be wrong, but I don't think I am.....Stick with Steve Bruce for as long as we can, unless results do just take over.

only results can save him....until they all get a bit of confidence back.

its a bit of a paradox really.

I remember that game  well - it was actually 6-0 to forest, think it was 86 and turner was fired next day .

edit - just realised you meant the home game - not sure which was worse to be honest - both dreadful .

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Eastie said:

I remember that game  well - it was actually 6-0 to forest, think it was 86 and turner was fired next day .

edit - just realised you meant the home game - not sure which was worse to be honest - both dreadful .

sorry Eastie, I meant to put 6.....i think it was 5-0 the next season.

ps I'm getting my wires crossed 5-0 at home with Morty on the wing in '84............6-0 away in'86 and yes turner got sacked next day and we went down that season.

My point being teams can change fortunes very quickly.

Edited by TRO

Also wondering how come no one has mentioned Jaap Stam, quietly got Reading to 4th with a game in hand!

4 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Genuine question but what is the villa way? For as long as I have supported the club we've had different managers with different ideas. I couldn't say we've played a specific way.

I can only remember us being a renkowned "counter attacking" team under MON.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

Unless there is an amazing manager ready to come in, we may as well give Bruce more time to see if he can gel these players. Surely he is capable of avoiding relegation with what is a very good squad.

Top half finish should be the absolute minimum for this season .

20 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Genuine question but what is the villa way? For as long as I have supported the club we've had different managers with different ideas. I couldn't say we've played a specific way.

In my opinion.....There is no Villa Way.....Managers have not lasted long enough to develop one.

Martin O'Neill (4-3-3)had a bit of counter attacking style with Ashley Young the main outlet. 

RS ( 4-3-3)Developed a bit of a style that was built around 110% work rate as he called it ( or the media called it)and had a very industrious Midfield that got it out to the wing (Tony Morley)at the end of penetrating runs.....They had a very competent duo up front who could mix it up a bit and could cope with most types of ball between them.

Both Managers had very competent wingers that caused much damage.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, mikeyp102 said:

There isn't one. Perhaps we could do with one, though. Going from one different managerial style to another, whilst wasting money on player after to player to fit that manager's identity, just hasn't worked out for us. Perhaps we need a new approach.