Players that you think are Good/Excellent

FrenchVillaLova

Seems a bit of a Newcastle love in here but I've always had a soft spot for Shelvey. He hasn't helped himself at times in his career with his attitude and lack of discipline on the pitch but I think he's a decent tempo midfielder. Not as extreme case as Grealish but he has only 6 England caps despite being a premier league regular since 2013 and having some decent seasons at Swansea and Newcastle.

Certainly would offer more at breaking down packed defences than the typical English sideways passing defensive midfielder.

• 2 months later...
5 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Are Norway going to be the new Belgium?

You'd think qualifying for Europe should be a minimum requirement with the amount of talented players coming through these days.

Its definitely a golden generation. 

We do however lack defensive players playing at a high level. 

they're going to be in league B again of the nations league which may give them an alternative route to the world cup with a higher seeding (if i understand how that damn thing works)

and you cant really say it because the hype gets too much but with all the success at the yoof tournaments england should be the next belgium with us winning the youth competitions, that said spain were runners up in the U17s and are the current U21 euro champions and are maybe better at bringing players through as a unit than we are and holland have some crazy talent coming through with de ligt, schuurs, koopmeiners, bergwijn, ihatteren, boadu, kluivert, wijndal, gravenberch, van de beek, de jong, stengs, malen

and all that said belgium have some more good youngsters coming through, doku, kana, vershaeren, vanheusden, plus lukaku who is as good as anyone at international level, a few of the golden generation have gone already and even the likes of hazard will be phased out after the euros (0 caps this year) but their time isn't over, they just need a better manager

and then even all of that is before you throw in France's seemingly 10 deep at every position mental youth development

the euros should be brilliant next year

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

and you cant really say it because the hype gets too much but with all the success at the yoof tournaments england should be the next belgium with us winning the youth competitions, that said spain were runners up in the U17s and are the current U21 euro champions and are maybe better at bringing players through as a unit than we are and holland have some crazy talent coming through with de ligt, schuurs, koopmeiners, bergwijn, ihatteren, boadu, kluivert, wijndal, gravenberch, van de beek, de jong, stengs, malen

This is the sticking point for me. I genuinely believe the FA doesn't care about England being successful as a football team, as long as it's full of marketable players. Call me cynical, but that's how it seems to be.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

Anthonee Robinson, if Joe Bryan was playing today Liverpool would be comfortably ahead.

This is curious to me as I saw a side of him yesterday I haven't seen in his performances with the U.S. National Team. It's always been clear there's a player in there, and I certainly think he deserves time to develop, but it's his defensive abilities that have left people wondering a bit—to the extent that many seem to favor moving Sergiño Dest over to his less favored left-back position and playing Reggie Cannon on the right. Against Liverpool, I saw evidence of a more complete player and that's really encouraging. He made an end-line tackle on Salah that made me cheer out loud.

On 15/12/2020 at 19:07, Keyblade said:

Olivier Giroud. Doesn't get the respect he deserves. Think him being part of the Arsenal circus tarnished his name. Elite hold up play, and excellent finishing. That's 8 in 14 for him so far this season.

Agreed. The disrespect he got from Arsenal fans when he was their most consistent striker, and arguably their best, for years was criminal. He should be starting every week, no question.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Greenfly said:

Agreed. The disrespect he got from Arsenal fans when he was their most consistent striker, and arguably their best, for years was criminal. He should be starting every week, no question.

Sounds like an Arsenal trend 😉

I'm watching RB Leipzig v Köln and I would just like to reiterate how good I think Angeliño is. He's just a terror along the left flank. I can't imagine why he isn't more interesting to Man City, except it being a matter of him being a mis-fit for their particular system. I can see him being a major contributor to any team playing with a back three.

• Like 3

Â