Players that you think are Good/Excellent

FrenchVillaLova

Just now, PaulC said:

Well before your time but they were probably even better in the 60s and 70s as well. That team that beat England at Wembley after we won the World Cup, with jim Baxter running the show and the Celtic team that trounced our best team at the time Leeds united were phenomenal.

Yes they had world class player then and in the 80s when they underachieved despite likes of Hansen, Souness and Andy Gray in their 11.

Obviously they don't have anywhere near the calibre but they seem to be slow in capping exciting young players (Billy Gilmour at Chelsea has made a few games for them this season but no senior call yet) which Wales are really strong on and also slow on playing inform players for unfashionable clubs. Republic of Ireland are regularly starting the Sheffield United lads I think.

On 28/12/2019 at 04:14, villa4europe said:

Saw a stat this morning that the real Ronaldo scored 88 goals by rounding the keeper

That's mad 

He has a 10 minute compilation on YouTube of him just rounding the keeper and scoring :lol:

He was an utterly ridiculous player, and it's so sad that we never got to see him reach his prime. He'd be the undisputed GOAT if he did.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Yes they had world class player then and in the 80s when they underachieved despite likes of Hansen, Souness and Andy Gray in their 11.

Obviously they don't have anywhere near the calibre but they seem to be slow in capping exciting young players (Billy Gilmour at Chelsea has made a few games for them this season but no senior call yet) which Wales are really strong on and also slow on playing inform players for unfashionable clubs. Republic of Ireland are regularly starting the Sheffield United lads I think.

Apart from midfield and the two left backs they are weak in most of the other positions. Even in midfield they have a lot of players operating at a similar level so there has been a lot of chopping and changing so its hard to know what their best team is. With everyone fit and on form I'd guess:

Marshall

Palmer        Cooper     McKenna       Robertson

Armstrong      McTominay   McGinn

Forrest                                                    Fraser

McBurnie

17 hours ago, Keyblade said:

He has a 10 minute compilation on YouTube of him just rounding the keeper and scoring :lol:

He was an utterly ridiculous player, and it's so sad that we never got to see him reach his prime. He'd be the undisputed GOAT if he did.

The Ronaldo between 96-99 is by far the best player I've ever seen, had everything, was developing into a world class number 10 at Inter as well (not that he played that role as such but he was creating lots of chances for others and had quite a few assists). 

Testament to how good he was that after being absolutely ruined by injuries he turned himself into a world class and arguably one of the all time great penalty box poachers. Maradona aside he's quite possibly the most talented footballer to have ever lived.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

Adam Idah has scored 2 so far for Norwich in the first half. He has all the attributes to make it.

https://tiger.cdnja.co/v/13/1396.mp4?secure=bno1QGllOY66Ca5sqIoW4A&expires=1578155400

The first goal there.

Hat trick on his first start. Irelands front 4 next year under Stephen Kenny?

Idah

Connolly                         Parrot                       Obafemi

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Josip Ilicic is quality. In fact Atalanta have a number of really good players such as Gomes, Gosens, Zapata etc

Strange that Ilicic and Gomez have performed very well in Serie A over the years and never taken by a really big club. In Gomez case very little international chances too. 

They would stroll into the Milan team for example or recent Inter squads

• Like 1

Forgetting the debacle yesterday but Sergio Aguero hands down the best striker in Premier League history. Consistent, adaptable, scores all types of goals and along with David Silva showed that smaller skillful players can thrive in England

If he didn't get injured or subbed off most games he would probably be a lot closer to Shearer record

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Forgetting the debacle yesterday but Sergio Aguero hands down the best striker in Premier League history. Consistent, adaptable, scores all types of goals and along with David Silva showed that smaller skillful players can thrive in England

If he didn't get injured or subbed off most games he would probably be a lot closer to Shearer record

Henry for me but Aguero is right up there.

• Like 1

It's a shame he didn't spend his whole career in the premier league, in a way. Because I agree he's probably the best striker the league has ever seen (certainly in the conversation) so it would seem fitting for him to have the all time record goals.

If you added the La Liga goals he scored at the start of his career to his current tally he'd only be about 20-25 goals off the record (I know that's not how it works but you get the point I'm making)

I'm sure he's still got a few years left at this level (probably not with Man City) but hard to see him getting the hundred odd goals he requires to break Shearer's record unless he has CRonaldo style longevity, which is unlikely given his injury record.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

He's going back to play in Argentina in two years I think, wants to play for Independiente before he's totally past it.

Shame for me it's never quite happened for him at international level in major tournaments but he's not the only Argentine striker to have that issue. Dybala been brilliant at Juve this season yet only has 28 caps and rarely starts.

6 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Henry for me but Aguero is right up there.

Agree

Henry was someone I'd pay to watch, I respect ageuro a lot but he's never really tickled my bollocks, might be because he's at city I'm not sure, might just be general apathy towards the PL and football

I was watching alot of arsenal as a neutral when Henry and Bergkamp were playing together, both incredible players I have fond memories of, aguero in 10 years will be in the forgotten thread from me

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

Is Reece James the 2nd best English RB now? 

He goes to the Euros for me yep. And he's pretty close to getting in the team.

Trent would start but has to show he can get as involved for England as he does for Liverpool to balance out his weakness compared to James defensively.

If teams aren't as dominant as Liverpool, Trent's effect is lessened.

• Like 1

Â