Conor Hourihane

dont_do_it_doug.

1 hour ago, Thug said:

With all due respect, and not to disagree with many of your points, but I don’t think anyone is comparing to peak Barkley at Everton.

Go take a look over at Spurs and Gareth Bale.  It doesn’t matter how good you were 5 years ago. You’re only as good as your last few games.

Nah the post I quoted was comparing Conor's goal/assist ratio to Barkley's best season.

Even this current hobbled Ross Barkley is better than Conor.

10 hours ago, Xela said:

I think we'd let him go for £5m. He's 30, last year of this contract this summer and cost us next to nothing. He's been a good servant and I don't think we'd do anything to stop a move if e wanted to leave and the price was ok for us. 

I agree that his price would likely be around 5 mil, but Purslow doesn't strike as someone who'd be sentimental about these things. He seems way more cutthroat, although admittedly we haven't yet been able to see how they act when they're in a position to sell. 

Edited by BG_Villa_Fan

3 goals in 3 games, all outside the box. 

Yet I had to debate about 10 pages back with people who were saying let him go on a free or he's only worth 1-2m 

Why do we always undervalue our players. Daniel Levy could easily get 12m for this type of player. I got pelters for suggesting it.

He's worth it for promotion chasing championship teams and bottom half premier league teams. 

Just look at some of the prices we paid for absolute rubbish when we were down there. 

Keeps this up I don't see why not. I knew he would kill it, much improved player since we were down there.

• Like 4

On 06/02/2021 at 10:38, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Whatever it may be, it will feel alien as we seem to never sell players for an actual fee.

Villa earning transfer fees? 

Its Been A Long Time Mueller Report GIF

• Haha 4

I think he's a little too honest at times. Some things are better left unsaid. His comment regarding the manager picking Jacob's instead of him should have been left behind closed doors, let's not forget, he's still a Villa player. I can't see Dean Smith being too pleased. Also his comments, last season, regarding Grealish being too good for us, certainly wasn't conducive to keeping a good spirit amongst the players.

I agree, he's been great on occasions,for us, but all players have a sell by date, even Grealish, or maybe not, in his case.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

I think he's a little too honest at times. Some things are better left unsaid. His comment regarding the manager picking Jacob's instead of him should have been left behind closed doors, let's not forget, he's still a Villa player. I can't see Dean Smith being too pleased. Also his comments, last season, regarding Grealish being too good for us, certainly wasn't conducive to keeping a good spirit amongst the players.

I agree, he's been great on occasions,for us, but all players have a sell by date, even Grealish, or maybe not, in his case.

where did he comment about Ramsey?

Just now, MaVilla said:

where did he comment about Ramsey?

Speaking to The Southern Star, Hourihane revealed the exact moment he knew he had to leave the Midlands for the good of his career in the short term.

He said: "Listen, I'm always honest and it was when we played Wolves away. Ross (Barkley) was injured and the gaffer played Jacob Ramsey ahead of me, the young lad from the academy which I was very disappointed with. That was probably the moment where I thought, 'I'm going to struggle here a little bit moving forward'.

"Ever since then I haven't played at all with Jacob in front of me. Listen, Jacob's a very good player. A very young player with a lot of talent but I thought it was a harsh decision on myself at the time.

"The gaffer actually came out afterwards and said it was probably harsh to leave me out. The lads went onto win the game so his decision was probably justified but that was the trigger for me to think I might be in a little bit of trouble here."

Swansea, he added, then got in touch just a week or so later.

A little too honest there lol. No hard feelings though and he had the right attitude of trying to get first team football elsewhere.

I have always liked a part of his game, he has a talent, there is no doubt.

However, he doesn't have the engine for this premier league, you need mobility and drive....Conor is limited with that.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

He is over 30 with only about 30 top flight appearances. I don't think we will get more than 5 mil. Still he has been excellent value for money given what he has contributed at Villa.

You never know. An owner similar to Xia might be knocking about. He paid 12 million for a 30 yr old Ross McCormack and no PL appearances.

• Like 1

On 09/02/2021 at 13:47, handsworthvilla said:

I'm a big fan of Conor and think generally speaking he has received some pretty harsh treatment from fans on here and the occasional bit of scapegoating after defeats. 

But to suggest he is comparable to Barkley talent wise is a massive exaggeration. In terms of natural ability Barkley is streets ahead. You may take issue with his work-rate or sharpness over the past few games, but can't see how anybody can question is ability 

I don't think anyone is actually saying talent wise. But in terms of application in games this season I wouldn't take barkley over any of the players in our squad. 

7 minutes ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

Good interview here, starts a couple of minutes in. Apologies for the parasitic bookmaker sponsor.

Urgh....

interviewer - "should Grealish move to a "big club?""

Hourihane - "no comment"

not....."Villa are doing well this season, Jack loves the club and the way the club is going, if they keep investing both Jack and the club can go far".

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Urgh....

interviewer - "should Grealish move to a "big club?""

Hourihane - "no comment"

not....."Villa are doing well this season, Jack loves the club and the way the club is going, if they keep investing both Jack and the club can go far".

A nod to his comment last year when he said Grealish was too good for the Villa team at the time which was poor form but you could see what he meant. Thankfully the signings since have brought the team closer to his level. 

Interesting to hear him say that the club have spent a lot of money to bring Barkley to the club, I wonder is that just on wages and loan fee or if he was hinting that a future transfer is agreed? I might be reading too much into it.

33 minutes ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

A nod to his comment last year when he said Grealish was too good for the Villa team at the time which was poor form but you could see what he meant. Thankfully the signings since have brought the team closer to his level. 

Interesting to hear him say that the club have spent a lot of money to bring Barkley to the club, I wonder is that just on wages and loan fee or if he was hinting that a future transfer is agreed? I might be reading too much into it.

prob meant wages and loan fee, wouldnt be surprised if Barkley was our second highest paid player, added to X millions loan fee??

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

prob meant wages and loan fee, wouldnt be surprised if Barkley was our second highest paid player, added to X millions loan fee??

I think the loan fee is just paying his wages which are a lot. 5 million a season I believe

Edited by Kiwivillan

Â