Conor Hourihane

dont_do_it_doug.

10 hours ago, TRO said:

I think he is decent.....not consistent, struggles to impose himself on his opposite number, is limited in as much he takes good deadballs, but pitch craft, not good enough.

I think he's not so good as one a two in midfield but you put him in a an attacking midfield role that's where his class shows. You want him on the ball in the final third of the pitch. BRUCE didn't adapt his tactics for tougher match.  

• Like 1

He needs to stop and get set on his left to do everything that goes through him. Slows everything right up.  Not meaning to have a cut at him, he's contributed with lots of goals, but his general play....iffy at best.

Why has he stopped passing forwards? It's like he's been told off for trying to create and now takes the easy option and just pops it to the defence every time. He's looked good going forward and has the ability to pass long range, create and score yet he's getting worse not better. You can't have both centre Mids keeping it simple at tines yes do repercussions than our defensive midfielder! 

Hung out ti dry by Bruce v Wolves.

Anyone who thinks that a 3-4-3 with a narrow MF 4 can be negated by Whelan in slo-mo sitting deep and one other MFer has NO football brain.

I felt truly sorry for Conor

24 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

Anyone who thinks that a 3-4-3 with a narrow MF 4 can be negated by Whelan in slo-mo sitting deep and one other MFer has NO football brain.

But equally GH ....2 wingers bang at it could have skinned their back 3.

There are many ways of looking at it.....but you have to impose yourself on your opposite number, they did, we didn't.

1 hour ago, Grasshopper said:

Perhaps we should try it next game if it is so successful?.....I would suspect their success had a bit more to it than just that.

It didn't work against Cardiff or Sheff Utd

Edited by TRO

57 minutes ago, TRO said:

Perhaps we should try it next game if it is so successful?.....I would suspect their success had a bit more to it than just that.

It didn't work against Cardiff or Sheff Utd

To be Honest, I think a 3-4-3 setup of Chester LCB Terry CCB & Baker LCB would have been a very balanced back 3 with Terry freed to bring the ball out from the middle. A MF 4 of Snodgrass (or Elmo or Adomah) Lansbury (or Onomah) Hourihane and Green (or Adomah would be a great MF when you have a front 3 of Hogan (right) Davis (center) Kodjia (left) with the instructions to press/bully the opposition.

The main thing about this setup is that we would have to take the game to the opposition but Bruce cant and wont adopt that mentality (and he sold Baker)

If a manager really wants to get something out of Conor he MUST let him play without too many defensive/covering responsibilities (for example his hattrick game) he needs to operate in that „zone“ from 5yrds in their half to in and around the box. He doesnt have the engine or pace to be a box 2 box player so why expect that from him (he‘s also not a holding or deep lying MF)

11 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

He needs to stop and get set on his left to do everything that goes through him. Slows everything right up.  Not meaning to have a cut at him, he's contributed with lots of goals, but his general play....iffy at best.

Quite. He is nearly always half facing the right touchline when he receives the ball.  So as he is incapable of playing a pass with his right foot, he inevitably knocks it square or backwards most of the time. I find him incredibly frustrating to watch.

He's obviously got a shot on him, but doesn't show a lot of drive to get in a position to use it in open play. And from dead balls, we've also got Snodgrass whose left foot is at least as useful. I'd say Hourihane is close to being surplus to requirements.

5 hours ago, BigJim said:

Quite. He is nearly always half facing the right touchline when he receives the ball.  So as he is incapable of playing a pass with his right foot, he inevitably knocks it square or backwards most of the time. I find him incredibly frustrating to watch.

He's obviously got a shot on him, but doesn't show a lot of drive to get in a position to use it in open play. And from dead balls, we've also got Snodgrass whose left foot is at least as useful. I'd say Hourihane is close to being surplus to requirements.

Yet he is our topscorer :rolleyes:

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Some really dangerous balls in the box, showed why he should be on set pieces over Snodgrass. Still would like him higher up the pitch as feel as times he bottles challenged in the centre 

Was in a great position to shoot on the edge of the box and tried to thread it through - lovely set piece delivery for JT goal 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Eastie said:

Was in a great position to shoot on the edge of the box and tried to thread it through - lovely set piece delivery for JT goal 

Yeah, My Dad and I were stunned that he did not shoot from there. He was 18 yards out with no defenders between him and the GK. I am not sure what he was thinking with that attempted through ball. 

Great cross in for Terry’s goal though.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, NeilS said:

Yeah, My Dad and I were stunned that he did not shoot from there. He was 18 yards out with no defenders between him and the GK. I am not sure what he was thinking with that attempted through ball. 

Great cross in for Terry’s goal though.

Can only think its because it was on his right but still should have taken a shot on !

1 hour ago, cb_82 said:

Can only think its because it was on his right but still should have taken a shot on !

You may be right, he did have space and time to get it on his left, but he probably didn’t realise the time he actually had. I guess it is easy to say when you are sitting in the stand and can see the space he had around him. As you say though, needs to trust his right foot more.

Â