The retro gaming thread!

BOF

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

I envy the kids that grow up with iPads and PS4's etc from birth pretty much. It was a struggle back in the day.

I don't envy them. Being bombarded with tech from such a young age, I'm not sure is a good idea, personally. 

I'm glad I didn't discover the internet until I was about 18! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Beastmix said:

I'd be quite interested to hear what everybody's pre-ps2 console journey was, actually...

Despite being the right age to have a NES onwards, my folks didn't get us a console until PS1 so my linear computer-gaming journey has been Spectrum ZX81 > Atari ST >  home PC > PS1 > Xbox > Xbox 360 > PS4.  That doesn't account for the Master System II, Mega Drive II, SNES and PS2 I've picked up at random points along the way as second-hand/garage sale finds.  Console gens prior to the PS1, I had to go round mates' houses to "play" i.e. sit there like a plum watching said mate play, hoping to be chucked a 5-minute long scrap if lucky; how the hell this experience ever came to be popularised - monetised, no less - in the years that came as streaming/Twitch culture, I will never, ever understand.

Edited by GarethRDR

6 hours ago, Beastmix said:

Those Spectrum cassettes were hilariously bad. I remember having my ZX hooked up to my dad's paint-splattered work hi-fi so I could wait 20+ minutes for a game to load...

Bad (yet nostalgic) times 😄

When a game was like the 6th one on a tape and you waited all that time and then accidentally stopped it at the wrong time. That was the worst

This loading noise gives me chills

Edit: having read the comments it seems that if you had an actual spectrum and used an MP3 to cassette adapter then that YouTube video would actually load Manic Miner onto the spectrum. No wonder they were so easy to copy :D 

Edited by Stevo985
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Edit: having read the comments it seems that if you had an actual spectrum and used an MP3 to cassette adapter then that YouTube video would actually load Manic Miner onto the spectrum. No wonder they were so easy to copy :D 

TV shows used to play an electronic garble of noise at the end of an episode for people to record and then load onto their computers.

Which kinda feels increasingly bizarre as time goes by.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Man, so you would just sit there for 3 minutes and listen to that noise while the game booted up? Here I thought spending 2 minutes blowing on an NES cartridge and putting it in the console at different angles was as bad as it got.

It's not even an oddly pleasing noise like dial-up was. That's just grating :lol:

Edited by Keyblade

8 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Man, so you would just sit there for 3 minutes and listen to that noise while the game booted up? Here I thought spending 2 minutes blowing on an NES cartridge and putting it in the console at different angles was as bad as it got.

It's not even an oddly pleasing noise like dial-up was. That's just grating :lol:

3 minutes if you were lucky.

A lot of the tapes I had would have multiple games on. You couldn't just fast forward to the game you wanted, you had to sit there and wait for each game in turn to load in order until you got to the one you wanted.

(actually you probably could fast forward if you knew exactly where to fast forward to. But without a counter on the cassette player and knowing where to stop it that wouldn't be possible

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Keyblade said:

3 minutes was considered a Turbo loader on the Spectrum and C64. 

Some of the bigger games like Elite you would be looking at 15 minutes easily.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

3 minutes was considered a Turbo loader on the Spectrum and C64. 

Some of the bigger games like Elite you would be looking at 15 minutes easily.

Yeah, I had to wait about 15 to 20 minutes for every game I owned.

12 hours ago, Xela said:

I don't envy them. Being bombarded with tech from such a young age, I'm not sure is a good idea, personally. 

I'm glad I didn't discover the internet until I was about 18! 

I wouldn't have it any other way. There was a particular magic about having the old consoles at the time. Everything was fascinating.

Consoles have no 'heart' these days. It's just 'load times' this and 'frame rates' that.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Feck me my ears

• Haha 1

I'm now looking at ZX Spectrum 128Ks on ebay...

Quite tempted! You can get one with a bunch of games for under £100

Although my dad's is probably in a box somewhere in my mom's garage

23 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I'm now looking at ZX Spectrum 128Ks on ebay...

Quite tempted! You can get one with a bunch of games for under £100

Although my dad's is probably in a box somewhere in my mom's garage

This was the Daddy IMO

12 hours ago, Xela said:

My Mom used to work at Carrefour when I went to Walmley junior school. It became a Gateway for a while as well?

Indeed it was, been an Asda since 1989, I feel very old 

Some good memories in this thread.

My first experience of gaming was a Commodore Vic20, it was my Dad’s really but I remember playing Pac-Man on it as little kid. We also had a Binatone TV master, which was great fun for a game of tennis. Anyone remember them? (Picture down below)

My first computer was the C64, well a joint present for me and my sister. She was obsessed with Manic Miner, I was into Dizzy, Double Dragon, Bubble Bobble etc... this was the time (late 80’s/early 90’s) where you could buy games from most newsagents for about £3. my favourite game before I sold it was Speedball, loved that game.

Next up was a Sega Megadrive, fond memories of Streets of Rage, Mortal Kombat, Sonic, and the first ever FIFA game (which was nowhere near as good as Sensible Soccer). 

The futuristic PS1 came next, and the discovery of International Superstar Soccer (ISS), which later became Pro Evo. I pretty much just played that all the time, with a few other games thrown in for a break. Same for the PS2, it was 2-3 hours a day of Pro Evo, with Tekken and GTA as a change. 

That was the last console I had, I don’t play anymore as adult life these days doesn’t leave much time for that. I’ve had some good runs on my kid’s consoles though, they’ve gone through Nintendo DS’s, Wii, Xbox and Switch. At one point I could thrash them on MarioKart, and competed the New Super Mario Bros on the Wii, when they couldn’t do it. Now though, they’re serious gamers and I don’t understand today’s gaming 😢

Take me back to the sprawling arcades of 1990 and give me a couple of quid to play Streets of Rage, and I’d be very happy. 

DADDDDF2-5EC1-4CDC-AC2D-98C0578D7FA4.jpeg

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

Got stuck right back into Gran Turismo 2, graphics aside it’s still a phenomenal game. I’d love an update of the Grindelwald track in GT7.

How's the performance on PS3?

Â