The retro gaming thread!

BOF

15 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Beat em ups needs to come back as a genre. They're so much fun when done right.

I concur. My favorite of these kinds of games would deffo be the Golden Axe series or Double Dragon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Big Salad said:

I concur. My favorite of these kinds of games would deffo be the Golden Axe series or Double Dragon.

A golden axe hd remake would eb absolutely epic.

As DD. Did you ever play DD neon? Its a really good game

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

A golden axe hd remake would eb absolutely epic.

As DD. Did you ever play DD neon? Its a really good game

Agreed on that would be cool and yeah I played that on the 360 was quite entertaining if I recall.

One of my favorites is the Power Rangers Movie one for the SNES (not the Genesis/MD one, which is also a decent beat em up). The soundtrack is so good.

Guardian Heroes is another one, it has RPG elements where you level up your abilities and a story with branching paths. Also just gorgeous looking and result frenetic action with dozens of characters on screen at the same time.

It’s all about Streets of Rage for me. It’s a testament to how good they are that it was only a few years ago I played them for the first time at the age of 32. One of the best soundtracks to a game ever. Still to play number 4 but I hear it’s exceptional.

Just wanted to drop this incredible video here. The quality and effort that must have went into it is astounding. If someone told me this was on Netflix I wouldn't blink twice.

Really puts into perspective the work that goes on behind the scenes in the retro gaming community. For example the segment about Even Amos and his photos was a real eye opener. The other 2 parts of this series are well worth a watch too.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

How do ps1 games running on PS3 look on t’modern day tele visual boxes? 

Pretty decent all things considered. The downside is that they all output 480i and not 240p like most of the originals. But they do look good, of the few games I've tried (namely Castlevania Symphony of the Night and Suikoden 2). You'd probably need to spend a fair wedge to get a ps1 to look like that I'd guess. Emulation is rock solid too. It's slightly washed out in terms of colour, but there's also a smoothing filter, which I imagine would be good for some of the rougher 3D games.

A neat little trick I recently found is with the PS One Classics they sell on PSN. You can also transfer them to your PSP and play them there. I recently bought official component cables which are pretty cheap and I found that if you set your PSP's video output to "interlace', it outputs true 240p instead of 480i You can hook it up to a CRT or to a modern TV like I did and it is just stunning. Like playing an OG PS1 through RGB. Definitely plan on playing PS1 games this way in the future (Suikoden 2 for example costs 300-500 bucks online and only 10 on PSN. No brainer).

• Thanks 1

On 16/03/2021 at 21:42, Keyblade said:

For example the segment about Evan Amos and his photos was a real eye opener.

His pics are absolutely everywhere, major contribution to preservation

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tegis said:

His pics are absolutely everywhere, major contribution to preservation

You kind of just take it for granted. When he said that wiki pages for systems had pictures of the console on the floor in some dude's bedroom, it jolted back memories like "oh right, they weren't always these pristine shots". The current picture for the Xbox Series X is a nice throwback. I'm guessing Evan has yet to shoot that one :lol:

Edited by Keyblade

2 hours ago, Keyblade said:

The current picture for the Xbox Series X is a nice throwback. I'm guessing Evan has yet to shoot that one

Hahaha, Ian Hughes and AsmodeanUnderscore  are not quite on the same level

Edited by Tegis
  • Like 1

I sold my carby adapter and have now ordered a few ps1 games to play on PS3. Went for Smackdown 1, GT1+2, Driver 2, V Rally 2 and Tomb Raider 1-3. Can’t wait! 

On a side note, I’m a bit worried my PS3 laser now, I borrowed Formula One 99 off my brother and it loads up and plays the intro video but doesn’t get past the loading screen 🙄. Phantom Menace didn’t load first time but worked fine every time since restarting it. Hmmmm.

1 hour ago, Ingram85 said:

I sold my carby adapter and have now ordered a few ps1 games to play on PS3. Went for Smackdown 1, GT1+2, Driver 2, V Rally 2 and Tomb Raider 1-3. Can’t wait! 

On a side note, I’m a bit worried my PS3 laser now, I borrowed Formula One 99 off my brother and it loads up and plays the intro video but doesn’t get past the loading screen 🙄. Phantom Menace didn’t load first time but worked fine every time since restarting it. Hmmmm.

Was going to suggest dumping your games and playing off HDD but bad news recently about the PS3 (and by extension PS One classics and digital PS3 games), Sony's reportedly going to shut down the store, so no more downloading. Still unclear if you'll be able to re-download already owned games. 

But even more concerning, if you happen to reset your PS3 or even worse your battery dies, you won't be able to connect to the internet anymore and by extension, your digital games won't boot up anymore 😕 . I'm drawing up a list of PS1 games I need to download before this happens. I just got my PS3 lol!

31 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Was going to suggest dumping your games and playing off HDD but bad news recently about the PS3 (and by extension PS One classics and digital PS3 games), Sony's reportedly going to shut down the store, so no more downloading. Still unclear if you'll be able to re-download already owned games. 

But even more concerning, if you happen to reset your PS3 or even worse your battery dies, you won't be able to connect to the internet anymore and by extension, your digital games won't boot up anymore 😕 . I'm drawing up a list of PS1 games I need to download before this happens. I just got my PS3 lol!

Yeah saw that today, glad I can now have the excuse to go and have a splurge on physical ps1 games from that there internet market place thing. 

Physical > Digital. This is the way.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Yeah saw that today, glad I can now have the excuse to go and have a splurge on physical ps1 games from that there internet market place thing. 

Physical > Digital. This is the way.

Oh of course. Especially for me as I have a PS2 that is completely backwards compatible.

But have a gander at physical prices though. They're ridiculous and only keep rising. I just want to play games like Suikoden 2 and Vagrant Story or Xenogears. You're looking at more than a grand for the 3 of them. Ugh. PSN was a nice compromise. In comparison, I'm paying maybe 20 bucks for the 3 of them, for rock solid emulation and the option to play it on the go on my PSP. Some of the proceeds will also be going to the original publisher (and the devs get royalties too if I'm not mistaken) instead of a third party owner of a used copy.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Oh of course. Especially for me as I have a PS2 that is completely backwards compatible.

But have a gander at physical prices though. They're ridiculous and only keep rising. I just want to play games like Suikoden 2 and Vagrant Story or Xenogears. You're looking at more than a grand for the 3 of them. Ugh. PSN was a nice compromise. In comparison, I'm paying maybe 20 bucks for the 3 of them, for rock solid emulation and the option to play it on the go on my PSP. Some of the proceeds will also be going to the original publisher (and the devs get royalties too if I'm not mistaken) instead of a third party owner of a used copy.

Oh yeah I didn’t think of the ones that are massively overpriced. Yeah get them now I suppose while psn is still alive. Bizarre that the newest console maker in MS is the one who is most proud of preserving its previous gens games. The way the games industry treats its past is abysmal on the whole. 

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Oh yeah I didn’t think of the ones that are massively overpriced. Yeah get them now I suppose while psn is still alive. Bizarre that the newest console maker in MS is the one who is most proud of preserving its previous gens games. The way the games industry treats its past is abysmal on the whole. 

Some consoles seem to have it worse than others. Like GameCube for example. Even the dime a dozen classics are expensive. Like why? Why am I paying more for Super Mario Sunshine of which there are literally millions of copies of out there, than I would for Super Mario Odyssey, a brand new game (or indeed even the Super Mario 3D All Stars bundle that includes Sunshine as 1 of 3 games)? As a rule I try to stay below retail and not feed into the crazy reseller market. Easier said than done though :D 

Ironically, PS3 games are crazy cheap right now. It's in that limbo where it's not quite retro yet, and nobody really cares about it anymore. I already have a couple dozen games, and I paid a lot less than I would for just 1 PS1 game :lol: .

Â