The retro gaming thread!

BOF

7 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Oh of course. Especially for me as I have a PS2 that is completely backwards compatible.

But have a gander at physical prices though. They're ridiculous and only keep rising. I just want to play games like Suikoden 2 and Vagrant Story or Xenogears. You're looking at more than a grand for the 3 of them. Ugh. 

Ah, a man of culture. 

More than a grand seems a bit much though. Vagrant Story CIB is ~£40, Xenogears CIB is ~£80, and Suikoden 2 CIB is something like £250. 

So maybe £400, being about AU$750 (you are Aus, right?) which is still unbelievable, but unless you want either sealed or mint only, you should be able to get them for a bit less than that. 

Humble brag, fortunately I have all three, and I'd argue all three are worth it. Immense games, proper pieces of gaming history. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, hogso said:

Ah, a man of culture. 

More than a grand seems a bit much though. Vagrant Story CIB is ~£40, Xenogears CIB is ~£80, and Suikoden 2 CIB is something like £250. 

So maybe £400, being about AU$750 (you are Aus, right?) which is still unbelievable, but unless you want either sealed or mint only, you should be able to get them for a bit less than that. 

Humble brag, fortunately I have all three, and I'd argue all three are worth it. Immense games, proper pieces of gaming history. 

Canadian, so about the same currency wise but the NTSC copies which seem to fetch a bit more than the PAL ones.

Good thing about emulation is it's a try before you buy type deal in an era where renting games is extinct. Not that you could even rent these anyway. Who knows, I might like em so much they might just so be worth that grand or so to me.

Does anyone does anyone have any experience softmodding OG Xbox’s?

Seeing as MS borked PAL Xbox by limiting them to 480i I can’t get my games to look any good on modern TV’s where’s as our NTSC friends had the ability to output up to 1080p. 
If I go ahead and soft mod my Xbox will I still be able to play my PAL discs at a better resolution?

I’m not interested in playing roms, I just want to play my discs with a decent picture.

On 16/03/2021 at 20:42, Keyblade said:

Just wanted to drop this incredible video here. The quality and effort that must have went into it is astounding. If someone told me this was on Netflix I wouldn't blink twice.

Really puts into perspective the work that goes on behind the scenes in the retro gaming community. For example the segment about Even Amos and his photos was a real eye opener. The other 2 parts of this series are well worth a watch too.

Really enjoyed that. Can't believe (well, I can ...) that they're actually de-capping microchips and documenting them under a microscope at this stage. Wowzers :lol:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

Does anyone does anyone have any experience softmodding OG Xbox’s?

Seeing as MS borked PAL Xbox by limiting them to 480i I can’t get my games to look any good on modern TV’s where’s as our NTSC friends had the ability to output up to 1080p. 
If I go ahead and soft mod my Xbox will I still be able to play my PAL discs at a better resolution?

I’m not interested in playing roms, I just want to play my discs with a decent picture.

Mate i bought one on Ebay and i have to say when it works its fecking epic. I have eveeything on it from nes to n64 Sometimes it red rings so you have leave it a few days  but its great.

12 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Mate i bought one on Ebay and i have to say when it works its fecking epic. I have eveeything on it from nes to n64 Sometimes it red rings so you have leave it a few days  but its great.

Red rings? That’s the 360 isn’t it? I’m on about modding the very first Xbox so that I can run games at 720p. What I’m not sure about is if it means I can play my discs at 720p or roms only.

5 hours ago, BOF said:

Really enjoyed that. Can't believe (well, I can ...) that they're actually de-capping microchips and documenting them under a microscope at this stage. Wowzers :lol:

It's quite amazing what people can achieve when they're passionate about something. 

3 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

Red rings? That’s the 360 isn’t it? I’m on about modding the very first Xbox so that I can run games at 720p. What I’m not sure about is if it means I can play my discs at 720p or roms only.

No mate i have the original xbox the first one ever its modded. It red rings though but usually happens if the fan over heats ive noticed

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

No mate i have the original xbox the first one ever its modded. It red rings though but usually happens if the fan over heats ive noticed

Oh ok. Is it software modded or is hard modded with the internals and outputs changed? 

3 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Oh ok. Is it software modded or is hard modded with the internals and outputs changed? 

I think the latter as he looks like he has changed some shit internally. I have no idea how he did it as shen it works the emulator layout is fantastic 

13 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I think the latter as he looks like he has changed some shit internally. I have no idea how he did it as shen it works the emulator layout is fantastic 

Ah, I want to go the soft mod route but I’m unsure as to whether once it’s done I can still play my discs at the new higher resolution. 

17 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Ah, I want to go the soft mod route but I’m unsure as to whether once it’s done I can still play my discs at the new higher resolution. 

I did a quick search, and I think it does apply to disc games as it appears to simply be a configuration setting in the main menu. There is apparently a button combination trick in the settings menu where you can force HD resolutions, but this menu isn't available to PAL users. This is where soft-modding will come in and you need to run something called Enigmah that will change your console's region. You'll need component cables though.

This will only work for the games that support the higher resolutions though, which in the case of 720p looks like about 30 games or so and 1080i even less. Good news is though almost all of them support 480p (just not in PAL region) so you can now take advantage of that. 480p from 6th gen consoles honestly looks superb on modern TV's with component cables anyway. 720p would only theoretically be better for 4K TVs as it's an even integer scale and might look cleaner. But it's nowhere near the jump from 480i to 480p.

29 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I did a quick search, and I think it does apply to disc games as it appears to simply be a configuration setting in the main menu. There is apparently a button combination trick in the settings menu where you can force HD resolutions, but this menu isn't available to PAL users. This is where soft-modding will come in and you need to run something called Enigmah that will change your console's region. You'll need component cables though.

This will only work for the games that support the higher resolutions though, which in the case of 720p looks like about 30 games or so and 1080i even less. Good news is though almost all of them support 480p (just not in PAL region) so you can now take advantage of that. 480p from 6th gen consoles honestly looks superb on modern TV's with component cables anyway. 720p would only theoretically be better for 4K TVs as it's an even integer scale and might look cleaner. But it's nowhere near the jump from 480i to 480p.

Oh bollocks, my tv doesnt have component input 😑

1 minute ago, Ingram85 said:

Oh bollocks, my tv doesnt have component input 😑

I think SCART works too, not sure if they still include those on European TV's. There's this cable by retrogamingcables in the UK (who I highly recommend, I bought their SCART cables for my Saturn and it is superb), that has a SCART head but is actually outputting a component signal (regular RGB SCART won't get you the HD resolutions unfortunately).

Alternatively there are these analog to HDMI transcoders. They're kind of a roulette as to whether or not they do some extra processing or not. I've bought one identical to this before (but for the opposite direction, HDMI to component), and it works flawless. Might be a nice cheap solution if you get it right. 

• Thanks 1

I’d love MS to release a box that plays all gens of Xbox not just the bc stuff. Some of the bc stuff is so poorly optimised and runs like a ms dos computer. I just want to play PGR, Sudeki, Thief DS etc... at decent clarity and frame rates 🙁

19 hours ago, Chindie said:

Original Xbox consoles are infamously ticking time bombs with capacitors that eventually blow out.

Ive had mine for a while so far its been ok but i have heard of something od that nature 

Been playing wwf smackdown (first one) and GT2 all day today. Graphics wise, yea they are bad by today’s standard but they both hold up surprisingly well considering and they both play absolutely brilliantly. I never thought I’d ever be playing ps1 games again. Bought back a few memories today. Makes you realise how quick life goes by. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ingram85 said:

Makes you realise how quick life goes by. 

I've had an urge recently to buy an original Nintendo Gameboy. They came out over 30 years ago! Where does time go?

• Like 1

Â