The retro gaming thread!

BOF

On 17/02/2021 at 16:26, Paddywhack said:

I just got really excited because I managed to find this online. Criminally underrated IMO.

3777-ultimate-soccer-manager-98-windows-

I'm not very technical and usually when I download something like this, I can't get it working or I get a big horrible virus.

This was a big tease though. It was easy to download and install and it played the intro video perfectly. I got nostalgic listening to the music. Then it got the start screen but it was just black. 

Still, fun whilst it lasted..

Literally had exactly the same experience a few months back! Loved that game. Was never a Champ Man but great fun. 

• Like 1

To anyone thinking of getting a Carby adapter (£70) or EON GCHD adapter (£105) for their GameCube. Don’t bother. Get a GC compatible Wii (£20-30) and a £8 wii2hdmi adapter from eBay or Amazon instead. 

Hardly any noticeable difference at all. Complete waste of time for me personally. Not worth the extra money at all for absolutely minimal gains. If you’ve got a framemeister, OSSC or MCable then yeah you will see results but they are all mega bucks themselves and that’s on top of the adapters. 

Around £250-£350 for excellent quality or £40 for very good quality. Go the Wii and wii2hdmi route. 

Edit: Also, does anyone want to buy a Carby Adapter for their GameCube? 

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

To anyone thinking of getting a Carby adapter (£70) or EON GCHD adapter (£105) for their GameCube. Don’t bother. Get a GC compatible Wii (£20-30) and a £8 wii2hdmi adapter from eBay or Amazon instead. 

Hardly any noticeable difference at all. Complete waste of time for me personally. Not worth the extra money at all for absolutely minimal gains. If you’ve got a framemeister, OSSC or MCable then yeah you will see results but they are all mega bucks themselves and that’s on top of the adapters. 

Around £250-£350 for excellent quality or £40 for very good quality. Go the Wii and wii2hdmi route. 

OEM Wii component cables are pretty cheap compared to the ridiculously priced GameCube accessories, think they're about 20-30 bucks. If your TV still supports Component input then that's the best value for money. That's how I play my Gamecube games and they look absolutely glorious in 480p (I do have an OSSC, but the 480p signal is passed through with no upscaling).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

OEM Wii component cables are pretty cheap compared to the ridiculously priced GameCube accessories, think they're about 20-30 bucks. If your TV still supports Component input then that's the best value for money. That's how I play my Gamecube games and they look absolutely glorious in 480p (I do have an OSSC, but the 480p signal is passed through with no upscaling).

I don’t have component inputs on my tv. How would those cables look on a modern 4ktv with a component to hdmi pass through box I wonder? 

Just now, Ingram85 said:

I don’t have component inputs on my tv. How would those cables look on a modern 4ktv with a component to hdmi pass through box I wonder? 

It depends if all the box is doing is transcoding the analog signal to digital. The problem with a lot of the cheap boxes on Amazon is that they add some ugly extra processing and upscaling that completely ruin the image.

One thing I realized is that if I'm not mistaken, PAL games don't typically support progressive scan, do I have that right? Probably why the image you're seeing isn't exactly spectacular even with the expensive cables as you're still at the mercy of how your TV deinterlaces the 480i signal. It's why I have a love hate relationship with my PS2. Most games are 480i, and GameCube games invariably look better than PS2 because they support 480p. Modern TVs handle that signal much better.

So even if you get component cables, I suspect the results might be similar. Might as well go with the Wii2HDMI if anything better than that is diminishing returns anyway. The alternative is to start collecting NTSC games, or there are some homebrew options like Swiss (which also works on the Wii) which can force 480p for PAL games. I think the best option is (if you have it) is play on a CRT, which 480i signals were made for. I'm seriously considering getting one for my PS2.

It’s like a minefield. I’d be tempted to get one but I want one that is just a straight pass through, I’ll have to check out reviews. 

I have a 14” Sony Trinitron which looks good apart from its slightly too small and the image is warped and every time I change the settings to sort it out it never saves my settings so it’s a pain in the arse every time I want to use it. So I don’t. But I can’t moan as it was a freebie.

ideally I want a 32 inch one with a screen I don’t need to recalibrate each time I turn it on but they are getting rarer than rocking horse **** in the UK plus people are cottoning on to the fact that enthusiasts want them so the prices are going up and up instead of typically being given away for peanuts. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

It’s like a minefield. I’d be tempted to get one but I want one that is just a straight pass through, I’ll have to check out reviews. 

I have a 14” Sony Trinitron which looks good apart from its slightly too small and the image is warped and every time I change the settings to sort it out it never saves my settings so it’s a pain in the arse every time I want to use it. So I don’t. But I can’t moan as it was a freebie.

ideally I want a 32 inch one with a screen I don’t need to recalibrate each time I turn it on but they are getting rarer than rocking horse **** in the UK plus people are cottoning on to the fact that enthusiasts want them so the prices are going up and up instead of typically being given away for peanuts. 

I managed to find one on eBay, that I've seen other people report did a good job of doing pass through. But this was the opposite, HDMI to component whereas you want the other way around. Definitely need to snoop around enthusiast corners of the internet. Amazon reviews aren't helpful because most people just want a picture and aren't too discerning about the quality.

Yeah that's a good size, I was thinking more like 27 inches simply because the buggers are so heavy. Almost increase in weight exponentially with each inch of screen size. Also holding out for one that has component inputs. In Europe you guys are luckier because TVs had RGB inputs and most of the older consoles supported RGB.

But yeah it sucks re: PAL GC games not supporting 480p. If you're not against it, it's very easy to install the Homebrew Channel on the Wii (and then install other apps, I think the pertinent one here is called PriiLoader) and you can then put NTSC Gamecube games (that you own ;)) on an SD card or USB Drive to play and they should automatically load up in 480p if your Wii system is set to that display option. You do need component cables (or possibly RGB SCART, not sure if the Wii supports that) though as any other cable will not get you the 480p signal. A bit of work required here, I guess you have to weigh it against searching for the right CRT and then breaking your back when you do find it :lol:

I did like the gamecube. Forgot that u can play gamecube games on it. 

Might have to get it out if the ottoman bed and revive it (my wii is chipped i have about 50 games on it half still in wrapper) 

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

I did like the gamecube. Forgot that u can play gamecube games on it. 

Might have to get it out if the ottoman bed and revive it (my wii is chipped i have about 50 games on it half still in wrapper) 

Only the first few models of the Wii are backwards compatible. Easy to tell though as there are 4 GameCube controller inputs on the top of the compatible ones and the Wii logo on the front is horizontal I think. 

The Wii gets a bad rep for the motion control stuff and the amount of shovel ware but it’s a unique system with a lot of fantastic top tier games plus GameCube support. I love it personally, I feel it’s a very underrated and unfairly treated console but it’s one of my favourite of all time.

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

Only the first few models of the Wii are backwards compatible. Easy to tell though as there are 4 GameCube controller inputs on the top of the compatible ones and the Wii logo on the front is horizontal I think. 

The Wii gets a bad rep for the motion control stuff and the amount of shovel ware but it’s a unique system with a lot of fantastic top tier games plus GameCube support. I love it personally, I feel it’s a very underrated and unfairly treated console but it’s one of my favourite of all time.

The Virtual Console was really underrated too, not to mention how easy it is to use homebrew software now that that's been discontinued. You can turn it into a all-purpose retro console if you want to. The emulation is solid. 

Think the Wii also has the most solid first party line-up of the recent Nintendo systems. 2 Zelda games, 2 Mario Galaxy games, the New Super Mario Bros. Wii game, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Metroid Prime 3 (and the trilogy, in widescreen + motion controlled shooting which is great), Kirby, Smash Bros. The Switch currently doesn't even come close.

5 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

I agree. The wii was very under rated. Wa certainly better than that disaster the wii u.

It had skem really good games. Wii sports is still fun today

I bought my wii quite early and a mate chipped it for like £20 and was selling me games for like  fiver with a case

Working my way through the Mario series at the moment; having only played Mario 64.

Finished Super Mario Land on GB, now onto Super Mario Land 2 on GB.

Realised that I've missed Super Mario Bros on NES, so will be going back through those next.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, wilko154 said:

Working my way through the Mario series at the moment; having only played Mario 64.

Finished Super Mario Land on GB, now onto Super Mario Land 2 on GB.

Realised that I've missed Super Mario Bros on NES, so will be going back through those next.

Probably the most important game in video game history. Also my first ever game and the game that got me hooked on gaming for life. 

• Like 1

On 12/03/2021 at 09:37, Demitri_C said:

OMFG!!!

As a hige fan of turtles in time i cannot wait for this

Fingers crossed this turns out good. Good trailer that, took a few watches before the theme tune sounded good though, thought I recognised the voice, it’s Mike Patton from Faith No More. 

10 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

Fingers crossed this turns out good. Good trailer that, took a few watches before the theme tune sounded good though, thought I recognised the voice, it’s Mike Patton from Faith No More. 

Im hoping its going to be aa excellent as SOR4 but not as hard!

Â