The retro gaming thread!

BOF

23 hours ago, Chindie said:

Yeah the remaster looked better, much better, but still ultimately looked a bit rough even for that time (because fundamentally what they were doing was tidying up the game - boost the resolution, frame rate, up the texture quality etc). 

But the original release is a horror show these days. It's so so blurry and foggy and murky, and the frame rate drops constantly. But at release I thought it was incredible. 

Worse than that is the PS1. There's some rough stuff in that first period of home console 3d games. If anything that was highlighted by the PlayStation Classic - there's some games that released on that that are absolutely atrocious today.

PS1 (and N64 really) absolutely need to be played on the old CRT tv's. Seriously, they (mostly the 3D ones) look so bad. 2D sprite based games are the ones that aged best for sure.

I don't know if we can really blame the developers for not having the foresight that in 20 years we'd all have displays that will display every single pixel at a 4K resolution, but they used the quirks of the TV's and monitors at the time to mask a lot of things and bring out their art direction. Something that's lost when we view them with sharp pixels in 2021.

An example of a 2D game (one of my favorites of all time). We just weren't meant to see the image the way it is on the left.

Edited by Keyblade
  • Like 3

GTA5 on PS3 was a real technical feat since the graphics (enough of them to make a genuine difference) were uploaded in real time from the online server. If you played the game offline, it didn't look as good. Some of the night-time views of the city on this game, from a hill or other vantage point, were superb. Quite a fitting way to play out the console really.

Burnout: Paradise was one of the best PS3 games, particularly if you had a PS camera.

On 26/03/2021 at 17:29, Ingram85 said:

I don’t think we will ever see again the jump graphics wise going from the ps1/n64 to ps2/Xbox/GC. Was massive at the time and looking back it hasn’t been repeated IMO. Diminishing returns I suppose.

Surely the jump from SNES/Mega Drive to N64/PS1 was bigger? To me that's a huge watershed moment in gaming because of the jump to 3D, or rather the jump to widespread 3D usage. In my head I still think of retro as pre-N64/PS1 because of that jump

54 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Surely the jump from SNES/Mega Drive to N64/PS1 was bigger? To me that's a huge watershed moment in gaming because of the jump to 3D, or rather the jump to widespread 3D usage. In my head I still think of retro as pre-N64/PS1 because of that jump

I guess you’re right thinking about it but I never really experienced it myself as the ps1 was my first proper console. We had a master system 2 before but I never really played it and my parents were very hesitant to let us even have a console for whatever reason. I suppose I should have said it was the biggest leap for me personally.

I think like Chindie said, the early years of ps1/n64 the graphics were so so terrible, I remember even back then thinking some games were about to fall apart lol, you could see all the seams and gaps between the polygons, the textures were always so hazy and wobbly like a model made from the flimsiest thinnest paper, held together with the worlds crappest non sticky sellotape and propped up with drink straws.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

When I was growing up, the jump was pretty outrageous but, although I didn't own either, I'd seen/played SEGA CD, Atari Jaguar, and even the SEGA Saturn before the PS1 really took off in the UK. I feel these consoles kinda bridged the gap at the time.

Totally agreed on what I consider 'retro' though.

48 minutes ago, Beastmix said:

When I was growing up, the jump was pretty outrageous but, although I didn't own either, I'd seen/played SEGA CD, Atari Jaguar, and even the SEGA Saturn before the PS1 really took off in the UK. I feel these consoles kinda bridged the gap at the time.

Totally agreed on what I consider 'retro' though.

Yeah I guess you're right. And also for me I never had a SNES. So I jumped from NES to N64.

Don't get me wrong, I'd played plenty of SNES and Mega Drive but in terms of owning anything I went NES -> N64 so maybe that graphics jump is bigger in my head than it is for other people.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Beastmix said:

I'd be quite interested to hear what everybody's pre-ps2 console journey was, actually...

In terms of actual consoles I went

NES - N64 - PS2 - Xbox360 - PS3 - Wii - PS4 - Switch

Before the NES I was still a big gamer though. Too young to make my own decisions, but played the shit out of various home computers.

ZX Spectrum - Spectrum 128k - Commodore 64 - Lynx and I think my Dad got a BBC computer from somewhere as well. He used to get most things from car boots so it was a bit of a random mix. I specifically remember us getting the 128k and a huge box of games for £20 from a car boot sale. My dad was chuffed!

30 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I think my Dad got a BBC computer from somewhere as well.

We had those BBC Micro computers in our Primary School. We all just used to use its primitive version of MS Paint and a game called Podd:

BBC Micro's 'Podd Can. . . ' | Childhood, Nostalgia, Canning

Edited by Beastmix
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Beastmix said:

We had those BBC Micro computers in our Primary School. We all just used to use it's primitive version of MS Paint and a game called Podd:

BBC Micro's 'Podd Can. . . ' | Childhood, Nostalgia, Canning

Haha yeah those are the ones. We didn't have one for very long so I can't really remember the games we had for it.

Spectrum 128k was the one we had the longest and the one I played the most. I used to get the magazine every week which came with a free tape loaded with demos and games. And my dad would go to car boots and get boxes of tapes with (I assume) loads of games pirated on them, usually unlabelled.

I'd spend hours just getting a tape and going through it playing a random game and then just moving onto the next one if it was no good. **** knows how many hundreds of games I played like that :D 

48 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah I guess you're right. And also for me I never had a SNES. So I jumped from NES to N64.

Don't get me wrong, I'd played plenty of SNES and Mega Drive but in terms of owning anything I went NES -> N64 so maybe that graphics jump is bigger in my head than it is for other people.

Yup same. I had an NES until I got an N64 pretty late in its life actually. The jump from Super Mario World to Super Mario 64 was ridiculous (for me it was even more exaggerated, Super Mario Bros 3 to Super Mario 64). SM64 was truly revolutionary. The 360 degree controls and the fully 3D environments were like nothing I ever saw before. 

Edited by Keyblade
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Haha yeah those are the ones. We didn't have one for very long so I can't really remember the games we had for it.

Spectrum 128k was the one we had the longest and the one I played the most. I used to get the magazine every week which came with a free tape loaded with demos and games. And my dad would go to car boots and get boxes of tapes with (I assume) loads of games pirated on them, usually unlabelled.

I'd spend hours just getting a tape and going through it playing a random game and then just moving onto the next one if it was no good. **** knows how many hundreds of games I played like that :D 

Those Spectrum cassettes were hilariously bad. I remember having my ZX hooked up to my dad's paint-splattered work hi-fi so I could wait 20+ minutes for a game to load...

Bad (yet nostalgic) times 😄

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Beastmix said:

My pre-ps2 journey went: Atari 2600, Spectrum ZX, Master System (which I still have), Mega Drive, PS1 (simultaneously, my sister had an N64)

My mum won £1000 on the Villa lottery and went on the pitch to be presented with it. The next day she took us to Carrefour in Minworth and brought us an Atari 2600. Money was so tight in those days it felt like a real extravagance to own the system with a few carts

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Like 3

35 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

My mum won £1000 on the Villa lottery and went on the pitch to be presented with it. The next day she took us to Carrefour in Minworth and brought us an Atari 2600. Money was so tight in those days it felt like a real extravagance to own the system with a few carts

Yep. I had an NES until 2001 when I upgraded to an N64, a year before its successor came out 😂 

I envy the kids that grow up with iPads and PS4's etc from birth pretty much. It was a struggle back in the day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Follyfoot said:

My Mom used to work at Carrefour when I went to Walmley junior school. It became a Gateway for a while as well?

Â