The retro gaming thread!

BOF

All this talk of games being bundled in reminds me of one of my pet hates.

Lists of the most sold games of all time including games that were bundled in with EVERY console. So like WiiSports is, i think, the most sold game of all time (or it's at least right up there). But that's because it came with every single Wii. You had no choice but to buy it.

It's technically correct, but it pisses me off :D 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Beastmix said:

Some games were just designed to be played on CRT. This tweet shows a great example of how crap old games can look on modern TVs: CRT Pixels on Twitter: "Mega Man X (1993, Capcom) - SNES Raw Pixels vs. PVM-20L2MD S-Video Mega Man X is quickly becoming another one of my favorite CRT examples. https://t.co/igUHPverLf" / Twitter

The example that sticks out to me the most is the Donkey Kong Country series which just looks so bad on modern displays but was one of the best looking games of the SNES era.

ERt-XslUYAUVCGW?format=jpg&name=small

• Like 1

To anyone, possibly no one, thinking of getting Brian Lara Cricket on the ps1 then know the sound is all messed up to the point you have to turn it off and the pauses between bowling is mahoosive. I researched and it’s one of only two games that doesn’t play nice with PS3. The other one? Another cricket game by EA. Mr Sony San must really hate cricket. 

• Like 1

We’ve just bought and set up a new bed where the TV magically appears out of the foot-end.. bit. With that, I’m considering bringing my PS2 into the bedroom to do a bit of retro gaming! (and to double up as a DVD player).

I’ve spent ages looking at PS1 and PS2 games on eBay today, getting excited about some retro classics. I also never realised that you can get wireless PS2 controllers. They just come with a little plug-in receiver bit that goes into the console.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

To anyone, possibly no one, thinking of getting Brian Lara Cricket on the ps1 then know the sound is all messed up to the point you have to turn it off and the pauses between bowling is mahoosive. I researched and it’s one of only two games that doesn’t play nice with PS3. The other one? Another cricket game by EA. Mr Sony San must really hate cricket. 

Whilst that was definitely the cricket game I'm also not sure there's ever been a game that I've cheated on so much 😂

12 hours ago, Rob182 said:

We’ve just bought and set up a new bed where the TV magically appears out of the foot-end.. bit. With that, I’m considering bringing my PS2 into the bedroom to do a bit of retro gaming! (and to double up as a DVD player).

I’ve spent ages looking at PS1 and PS2 games on eBay today, getting excited about some retro classics. I also never realised that you can get wireless PS2 controllers. They just come with a little plug-in receiver bit that goes into the console.

I still have my PS2 but have not played it for years but now I just might lol.

What's your favorite PS2 game?

Mine is Devil May Cry which has turned it one of my favorite series and one of the few series I buy from day one when a new one comes out.

11 hours ago, Big Salad said:

I still have my PS2 but have not played it for years but now I just might lol.

What's your favorite PS2 game?

Mine is Devil May Cry which has turned it one of my favorite series and one of the few series I buy from day one when a new one comes out.

Mine is the same as V4E’s. Vice City! I think that’s probably one of the games I’ve sunk the most hours into (alongside Skyrim probably). 

I don’t actually have too many PS2 games, looking at my collection. GTA 3, Vice City, San Andreas, God of War, Crash Nitro Kart and then memory, about 4 crappy action games.. that I can’t even remember the names of. The backwards compatability excites me though. I know I’ve got Abe’s Oddysee on PS1 🙏🏻. It’s just a shame that 98% of my PS1 collection are copied.

Edited by Rob182
  • Like 1

Are there any tips for making a PS2 look half decent on a big ‘Crystal UHD’ tv? (No idea what that means. Sounds like a type of milk to me). Is it just a case of reducing the screen size and playing with the settings?

...For a start I’m having to buy some sort of HDMI adaptor to plug the red, yellow and white leads into, as TVs haven’t had scart lead inputs for about 10 years, I guess!

1 hour ago, Rob182 said:

Are there any tips for making a PS2 look half decent on a big ‘Crystal UHD’ tv? (No idea what that means. Sounds like a type of milk to me). Is it just a case of reducing the screen size and playing with the settings?

...For a start I’m having to buy some sort of HDMI adaptor to plug the red, yellow and white leads into, as TVs haven’t had scart lead inputs for about 10 years, I guess!

Read a few pages back. All covered there as I’ve just been on the same journey. 😋

• Thanks 1

I told my wife I was putting the PS2 in the bedroom and asked if there were any old games she’d like me to get. One of the 3-4 she mentioned was Discworld..... it’s like £50-80 on eBay! Wtf. How do some random games become golddust 

• Like 1

So apparently people have been having trouble patching their PS3 games now that the PSN shutdown has been announced. Even physical games aren't safe now, and coupled with the growing trend of the last 2 generations (PS3 survived well into the last generation) of games being released essentially as unfinished betas and needing day 1 patches to be properly playable, this doesn't bode well for preservation. I picked possibly the worst time to get into the bloody console :lol: . Going to have to go through all of my unplayed games one by one now to patch them.

2 hours ago, Keyblade said:

So apparently people have been having trouble patching their PS3 games now that the PSN shutdown has been announced. Even physical games aren't safe now, and coupled with the growing trend of the last 2 generations (PS3 survived well into the last generation) of games being released essentially as unfinished betas and needing day 1 patches to be properly playable, this doesn't bode well for preservation. I picked possibly the worst time to get into the bloody console :lol: . Going to have to go through all of my unplayed games one by one now to patch them.

That’s disgraceful. I’ll have to do the same. I thought it was June or July that all this stopped? Luckily I need to get a few more Tiger Woods games then that’s it. 

Â