The retro gaming thread!

BOF

9 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Ah okay, wasn't sure if they still included them in TVs in Europe or not. Looks like TVs are doing away with analog inputs completely, which makes it a pain to play old consoles. 

Now that I think of it, unless you're putting the RCA jacks directly into the TV, you'll end up with the same issue of your TV not accepting 240p over HDMI if you use some sort of adapter. Your only option really if you don't have any analog inputs on your TV is to get something that at least upscales it to 480p for it to understand.

Sadly there's no middle ground between the cheap upscalers that ruin your image and the very good ones that start at 70 pounds. Honestly, if you're up for it and have the space and can source one, I'd find a CRT on Facebook Marketplace or something and never have to worry about this issue again. Lots of ifs, but it's the cheapest, and funnily enough in most cases the best solution. It's the other logistical bits that are hard :P 

Im starting to think easiest pption is just buying an older tv with the scarts and analogue inputs for a n64

Edited by Demitri_C
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Ah okay, wasn't sure if they still included them in TVs in Europe or not. Looks like TVs are doing away with analog inputs completely, which makes it a pain to play old consoles. 

Now that I think of it, unless you're putting the RCA jacks directly into the TV, you'll end up with the same issue of your TV not accepting 240p over HDMI if you use some sort of adapter. Your only option really if you don't have any analog inputs on your TV is to get something that at least upscales it to 480p for it to understand.

Sadly there's no middle ground between the cheap upscalers that ruin your image and the very good ones that start at 70 pounds. Honestly, if you're up for it and have the space and can source one, I'd find a CRT on Facebook Marketplace or something and never have to worry about this issue again. Lots of ifs, but it's the cheapest, and funnily enough in most cases the best solution. It's the other logistical bits that are hard :P 

I have a 43” TV with a scart input in my loft conversion, so I can play it up there no problem. I’m just being fussy because we’ve got one of these daft super king size beds in the bedroom where a flatscreen TV appears, like magic, out of the bottom. I was just hoping to do some retro gaming in there, but maybe PS1 games on the PS2 will be a no-go.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

I have a 43” TV with a scart input in my loft conversion, so I can play it up there no problem. I’m just being fussy because we’ve got one of these daft super king size beds in the bedroom where a flatscreen TV appears, like magic, out of the bottom. I was just hoping to do some retro gaming in there, but maybe PS1 games on the PS2 will be a no-go.

Yeah sounds like it. I popped in a PS1 game into my PS2 yesterday just to see if it works over component and it did so it's definitely a TV thing.

On the bright side, your PS1 games will likely look great over SCART. 

12 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Im starting to think easiest pption is just buying an older tv with the scarts and analogue inputs for a n64

Depends on how much space you have and if you can find one but I agree. It also appears to be the one of the best options for appearance as well. 

7 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Depends on how much space you have and if you can find one but I agree. It also appears to be the one of the best options for appearance as well. 

Im thinking one of the odler flat screen tvs they usually have audio outputs

On 07/05/2021 at 23:00, Keyblade said:

It worked! I wasn’t expecting it to after what you said, but the little ‘mcboot’ memory card (for £8.99 :D) must have done some magic. I just clicked on the ‘PS1’ PAL option and D Derby PS1 is working, through a PS2 console, on a 2021 tele with HDMI inputs.

The picture quality doesn’t look bad, to me. But I am a novice to this retro gaming in modern times thing. I’ll see if I can upload a photo.

Edit: adding photo. And yes, my bedroom is pink :rolleyes: Thanks Mrs Rob182.

41CEEA0F-87CE-4DA0-AC68-44CBCBC2364E.jpeg

Edited by Rob182
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Rob182 said:

It worked! I wasn’t expecting it to after what you said, but the little ‘mcboot’ memory card (for £8.99 :D) must have done some magic. I just clicked on the ‘PS1’ PAL option and D Derby PS1 is working, through a PS2 console, on a 2021 tele with HDMI inputs.

The picture quality doesn’t look bad, to me. But I am a novice to this retro gaming in modern times thing. I’ll see if I can upload a photo.

Edit: adding photo. And yes, my bedroom is pink :rolleyes: Thanks Mrs Rob182.

41CEEA0F-87CE-4DA0-AC68-44CBCBC2364E.jpeg

Nice! Didn't even think about forcing the resolutions through software.

Now that you have that card, you can play backup PS2 games (or from an HDD/USB/or even over a network), which is great especially if you want to preserve your laser (or for other reasons :ph34r:). 

4 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Nice! Didn't even think about forcing the resolutions through software.

Now that you have that card, you can play backup PS2 games (or from an HDD/USB/or even over a network), which is great especially if you want to preserve your laser (or for other reasons :ph34r:). 

This all sounds like another language to me :D ...but it sounds good!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Rob182 said:

This all sounds like another language to me :D ...but it sounds good!

Basically, you've now modded your PS2 and can play burned games (that you already own of course ;) ) or off of a hard drive. 

Got an absolute result today. 

Dying Light (XB1), Dead Space, Dark Sector, Spec Ops: The Line, Quake IV & Toy Story 3 all on 360. Total: £10.

Very Happy with that, Dead Space and Quake IV go for quite a bit. I think someone got rid of some stuff at Cash Converters. Whoever it was, cheers!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Got an absolute result today. 

Dying Light (XB1), Dead Space, Dark Sector, Spec Ops: The Line, Quake IV & Toy Story 3 all on 360. Total: £10.

Very Happy with that, Dead Space and Quake IV go for quite a bit. I think someone got rid of some stuff at Cash Converters. Whoever it was, cheers!

There are 2 game series that I hope will one day get remastered or even a new game in the series. The first is Eternal Darkness, an old Gamecube game, the other is Dead Space. I loved the DS series and even though DS3 wasn’t as good as the first two it was still pretty enjoyable.

3 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

There are 2 game series that I hope will one day get remastered or even a new game in the series. The first is Eternal Darkness, an old Gamecube game, the other is Dead Space. I loved the DS series and even though DS3 wasn’t as good as the first two it was still pretty enjoyable.

Got to agree with both. I hope the Mass Effect Trilogy Remaster sells really well because it may convince EA to give another of their sci-fi trilogy’s the remaster treatment in DS.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Basically, you've now modded your PS2 and can play burned games (that you already own of course ;) ) or off of a hard drive. 

No way!

So, hypothetically, if, when I was a teenager I used to ride my bike to Apollo Video, rent out a PS1 game, then ride it to my computer nerd uncle’s house for him to copy the disc and the covers, and then return the game to Apollo the next day, and ended up with around 80 copied games, then I’d be able to play them all?! Hypothetically.

That bike ride was knackering, by the way. It took me about 3 hours.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rob182 said:

No way!

So, hypothetically, if, when I was a teenager I used to ride my bike to Apollo Video, rent out a PS1 game, then ride it to my computer nerd uncle’s house for him to copy the disc and the covers, and then return the game to Apollo the next day, and ended up with around 80 copied games, then I’d be able to play them all?! Hypothetically.

That bike ride was knackering, by the way. It took me about 3 hours.

Hypothetically, yes! In this case they would have to be DVDs though, hypothetically of course.

19 hours ago, jacketspuds said:

Eternal Darkness is a gem of a game

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Hypothetically, yes! In this case they would have to be DVDs though, hypothetically of course.

Also, I should add, this only applies to PS2 games and not PS1 games. 

However depending on what PS2 model you have, there's been a recent hack of the later models that lets you play (region free!) PS1 backups as well! But there's a bit more setup involved. It's a shame that my PS2 is one of the older ones, otherwise I would have been all over it.

More information here.

• Thanks 1

On 14/05/2021 at 14:22, villa4europe said:

Zombies ate my neighbours and ghoul patrol are coming to the switch, xbox, ps this summer

Loved those games in my youth 

Now they just need to get to work on animaniacs and daffy duck the Marvin missions

Tiny toons on snes was fecking awesome. So annoying they havent put this in the switch  snes online

• Like 1

I just bought a super console x. I wanted to get a retro station but due to brexit it costs too much to ship so had to settle for this

It looks pretty good backup option. My modded xbox seems to be fecked now. It doesnt load past the menu screen annoyingly

Â