The retro gaming thread!

BOF

4 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

That’s disgraceful. I’ll have to do the same. I thought it was June or July that all this stopped? Luckily I need to get a few more Tiger Woods games then that’s it. 

Yeah it's supposed to happen in June or July but people are already reporting problems. It's a disgrace and really putting me off getting a PS5 eventually as I planned. Microsoft has a much better outlook on preservation, and their latest system can basically play every game from all the previous generations, and I mean you pop in a disc and it works. That's how it should be.

Sony need to sack Jim Ryan asap, he has waaaay too much influence on their dealings and shift towards more pleasing the western audience. I’d sack him purely for his attitude to games from older gens. Blokes a clearing. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

Sony need to sack Jim Ryan asap, he has waaaay too much influence on their dealings and shift towards more pleasing the western audience. I’d sack him purely for his attitude to games from older gens. Blokes a clearing. 

His (parody) twitter is rather amusing :D

TCGS recently had a pop at them over it and I'll be honest and say something that I just don't understand, playing old PS3 games doesn't appeal to me in the slightest, I was fortunate to do it at the time and then played whatever remasters I wanted to on the PS4, I get that they've brought over a load of xbox owners last gen but what is the market really for playing resistance or sly cooper? It's got to be tiny and they're the bigger 1st party titles... Some of the niche market 3rd party stuff, why would they invest time and money in to you being able to play it now, whats the benefit to them? 

They want you playing new games

MS approach of "you can play beowulf the game from the 360!!" yeah awesome, I didn't want to play that in 2007 when I had a 360 I'm not bothered about it now 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, villa4europe said:

TCGS recently had a pop at them over it and I'll be honest and say something that I just don't understand, playing old PS3 games doesn't appeal to me in the slightest, I was fortunate to do it at the time and then played whatever remasters I wanted to on the PS4, I get that they've brought over a load of xbox owners last gen but what is the market really for playing resistance or sly cooper? It's got to be tiny and they're the bigger 1st party titles... Some of the niche market 3rd party stuff, why would they invest time and money in to you being able to play it now, whats the benefit to them? 

They want you playing new games

MS approach of "you can play beowulf the game from the 360!!" yeah awesome, I didn't want to play that in 2007 when I had a 360 I'm not bothered about it now 

Bit of a disservice that.

On my PS3 I can play: God of War 1, 2, GoS, CoO, Ascension, GT6, WWE 2008 - 2014, Jak & Daxter 1-3 HD, Loads of Ratchet & Clank games, The MGS Collection, Hitman 2, Contracts & Blood Money, San Andreas, Tiger Woods 07-14, Folklore, Max Payne 3, DuckTales, Tomb Raider Anniversary, TR Underworld, TR Legacy, Sonic & Sega Racing & SSR Transformed, Transformers Cybertron games, Ridge Racer 7, Tales of Symphonia 1&2 HD, Tales of Xillia, The Prince of Persia Trilogy, Splinter Cell collection, Medal of Honour Frontline HD, Epic Mickey 2 and what’s wrong with the Resistance games? They are bloody great games?

Plus all the other games I’m forgetting that are now locked in that system only. Plus the whole library of PS1 games and depending on what version of the PS3 you have then you can also play the whole ps2 library.

Then all the great Xbox and 360 exclusives you can still play on the One/Series models.

Old games don’t become crap because newer versions are out? Don’t you watch old films? Listen to old albums? Read old books? It’s important to preserve gaming history and I find it sad that some of the leaders of the industry have such a dismissive attitude towards their legacies.

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 1

All of those things a big yes... Games? No personally, I'm a trader, play a huge number of games but only have 1 or 2 games at a time, currently 5 due to corona, I don't collect or revisit old games 

I played the resistance games at the time, great games, loved them, absolutely 0 interest in ever replaying them

a new resistance game I'd pick up at launch 

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

All of those things a big yes... Games? No personally, I'm a trader, play a huge number of games but only have 1 or 2 games at a time, currently 5 due to corona, I don't collect or revisit old games 

I played the resistance games at the time, great games, loved them, absolutely 0 interest in ever replaying them

a new resistance game I'd pick up at launch 

Why not games though? What makes them different to other forms of art/entertainment? Genuinely interested 🙂

I play more of my PS3/360 games than I do PS4/XB1 games. 

1 hour ago, Ingram85 said:

Why not games though? What makes them different to other forms of art/entertainment? Genuinely interested 🙂

I play more of my PS3/360 games than I do PS4/XB1 games. 

dunno, i think a good chunk of them dont age well and the leaps and bounds in technology means that i dont want to play assassins creed 1 when i can play valhalla, i am content that i play a lot, i dont miss much, the only consoles i dont own are nintendo after the wii scarred me for life but i had a PS3 and a 360 for many years and gave more or less every game that i wanted to a play through

i do like old snes games but i think thats more to do with the 2D style never really being surpassed in the same way that old 3D have, the old mario games havent aged that badly

and then just in general i dont think games have the same replayabilty as books, films, definitely not music, and they have a higher chance of spoiling fond memories, thats what i find with FF games, every 3/4 years when i boot them up again it diminishes what i think they are little by little, god knows what i would think of say tomb raider if i gave that a go now but i think that was an incredible game, would also say that the games market is a lot less diluted and im more in to it (i worked at game for 3 years on and off), theres little chance that im going to read through here and find a PS3 gem that i missed first time around and think "oh i wish id played that maybe i should try and get hold of it" anything that does ever come up im just more accepting that i missed it - i looked at the "top 50 ps3" games on google and it took me to psu, there are 2 that i didnt play (a fair few that i played for less than 5 hours) tales of xilla which yeah ive never heard of that and catherine which i got as part of PSN+ and it sat in my downloads for over 2 years without me ever actually playing it!

Rogue is available on steam (Link). If you've ever wondered what inspired the slew of "Roguelight" and "Roguelike" indie games that fill the pages of Steam then this is it and available for only a couple of quid.

It's still enjoyable to play today and has a lot of depth but don't expect to complete it, ever. I didn't even realise there was a win-state until the internet, wrongly believing the object of the game was to collect as much gold as possible before a troll would inevitably kill you.

If the lack of graphics put you off then I can heartily recommend the Atari ST version which is very pretty. It's easy to pick up and run on an emulator.

Edited by RunRickyRun
  • Like 1

I think 7th gen games still look great today. It's not like how PS1/N64 games have aged (even though you could argue we're viewing those wrong in the first place). Games like Wipeout HD are still stunning.

Also, it seems the industry nailed the art of making games a long while ago and if anything most of the current gen counterparts kind of pale in comparison? Like there's never going to be another Castlevania Symphony of the Night despite indie developers and others spending all of the last decade trying to make one. They already nailed JRPG's in the PS1/PS2 era. Really the only games I can see benefiting from the new hardware are like sports games, FPS's and action games where the spectacle is just as important as the gameplay.

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

PS3/P/Vita PSN decision reversed!

Saw that earlier on eurogamer. I reckon the shareholders have had a word with Jim and told him to wind his neck in following a month of bad PR.

PSP still doomed though. Tbh, I’m not too fussed about the stores closing, it’s the lack of access to game patches that worries me the most. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Saw that earlier on eurogamer. I reckon the shareholders have had a word with Jim and told him to wind his neck in following a month of bad PR.

PSP still doomed though. Tbh, I’m not too fussed about the stores closing, it’s the lack of access to game patches that worries me the most. 

Yeah, that and the CMOS batteries failing. Though I saw a tweet with an email reply from Sony showing promise in that regard.

I'm not worried about the PSP anymore. It's ridiculously easy to jailbreak if they ever do go through with this.

I’ve upgraded my PS3 HDD to a 1TB drive, a relatively painless process tbh for my simpleton brain. I’m just in the process now of installing all my games, downloading all the patches for them all and getting any available dlc for them just in case Sony pull a fast one in the future.

Hopefully they rock a system patch soon so that playing games isn’t tied to a handshake with psn or checking the internal clock. 

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ingram85 said:

I’ve upgraded my PS3 HDD to a 1TB drive, a relatively painless process tbh for my simpleton brain. I’m just in the process now of installing all my games, downloading all the patches for them all and getting any available dlc for them just in case Sony pull a fast one in the future.

Hopefully they rock a system patch soon so that playing games isn’t tied to a handshake with psn or checking the internal clock. 

I was thinking about getting a HDD upgrade for futureproofing but then I think about how my system is 250gb and I think it's plenty big enough for me. Most of my collection is physical, and I don't ever envisage myself buying 250gb worth of games from PSN. What's the average game size, like 8-10gb? On second thought... :lol:

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I was thinking about getting a HDD upgrade for futureproofing but then I think about how my system is 250gb and I think it's plenty big enough for me. Most of my collection is physical, and I don't ever envisage myself buying 250gb worth of games from PSN. What's the average game size, like 8-10gb? On second thought... :lol:

All depends on how many games you have. All in I’ve got about 70 Physical PS3 games (plus their patches and whatever add ons) and about 25 Physical PS1 games. I think 500GB would have been fine but I wanted to make sure. That said, I’m half way through the mass install and haven’t checked the remaining memory yet 😬

I’d say 50/50 in terms of half of the games are just over or under 1GB and half are around 3-5GB but GT6 is the one that is a behemoth for me, think it weighed in at 14GB. The WWE games are all about 5GB too and I’ve got a lot of them.

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

All depends on how many games you have. All in I’ve got about 70 Physical PS3 games (plus their patches and whatever add ons) and about 25 Physical PS1 games. I think 500GB would have been fine but I wanted to make sure. That said, I’m half way through the mass install and haven’t checked the remaining memory yet 😬

I’d say 50/50 in terms of half of the games are just over or under 1GB and half are around 3-5GB but GT6 is the one that is a behemoth for me, think it weighed in at 14GB. The WWE games are all about 5GB too and I’ve got a lot of them.

Think I have about 40 physical games. I have about 10 or so that I have on a list of must get PSN games, which thankfully I don't have to rush about anymore. From the sounds of it, 250gb might be pushing it. Kind of makes me miss the days of popping a cartridge and being done with it, not having to worry about patched and online only titles.

9 hours ago, Keyblade said:

A 1TB spinning rust disk is about 35 quid. Cheap enough for a throw away buy. I would actually consider getting a SSD to improve on the patches, PSN-installs and loading-times. But that is a 100 quid undertaking for the same space. And installing from physical disks are likely not to be affected as they are slower than hard-drives anyway. So.....I dunno :D

Edit: I saw a video of someone loading GTA5 from a hard-drive vs a ssd. 80 seconds vs 26 seconds.

Edited by Tegis
  • Like 2

Â