The retro gaming thread!

BOF

13 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

Been playing wwf smackdown (first one) and GT2 all day today. Graphics wise, yea they are bad by today’s standard but they both hold up surprisingly well considering and they both play absolutely brilliantly. I never thought I’d ever be playing ps1 games again. Bought back a few memories today. Makes you realise how quick life goes by. 

The first Smackdown was in that sweet period where they produced some of the best wrestling games ever.

I still think No Mercy on the N64 is the pinnacle but Smackdown 1 and 2 are right up there

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

The first Smackdown was in that sweet period where they produced some of the best wrestling games ever.

I still think No Mercy on the N64 is the pinnacle but Smackdown 1 and 2 are right up there

Yeah I got both of my fixes. Arcade fun? Smackdown. A bit more realistic? No Mercy. Yeah man that was some great times. 

I always remember looking at screenshots in magazines of smackdown and thinking it looked incredible coming from warzone/attitude.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Yeah I got both of my fixes. Arcade fun? Smackdown. A bit more realistic? No Mercy. Yeah man that was some great times. 

I always remember looking at screenshots in magazines of smackdown and thinking it looked incredible coming from warzone/attitude.

Haha yeah.

In fact I remember seeing screenshots of Attitude in N64 magazine and thinking they looked like photographs :D

Seems mental when you look back on it now.

WarZone was the game that got me back into watching the WWF seriously though. At the time I absolutely loved that game. It was probably quite shit but I absolutely loved it.

I feel like that was the first game that had create-a-character in as well. Certainly the first I had encountered. It's absolutely standard these days but at the time it was a pretty big deal

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Beastmix said:

I thought this of the game Three Lions at the time...

Three Lions:

p302 on Twitter: "“@90sfootball: England line up on the Three Lions video  game. http://t.co/hXucZnyipo” Name that player!?!"

That's so funny. I'm trying to figure out who they are...

Campbell?, Seaman, Scholes, Sheringham?, Owen?, Beckham
Adams?, Neville?, It's too late to be him but it looks like Tony Daley, Le Saux?, Shearer

The ones without question marks are the only ones I'm pretty sure of

13 hours ago, Hornso said:

I think I've spent more time playing the NES/SNES simulators on the Switch than the modern releases. I'm a sad, old bastard these days 😂

I have to say i am really disappointed with the switch SNES online.

Snes had a huge catalogue of games yet there really is no little available its really poor. Some really good games that they havent even put in this platform.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

That's so funny. I'm trying to figure out who they are...

Campbell?, Seaman, Scholes, Sheringham?, Owen?, Beckham
Adams?, Neville?, It's too late to be him but it looks like Tony Daley, Le Saux?, Shearer

The ones without question marks are the only ones I'm pretty sure of

I'm trying to figure out why they made the player next to Shearer look like an actual lion...

Also, I think it might be Paul Ince, rather than Daley.

• Like 1

I very vividly remember playing Gran Turismo (1) and thinking that graphics couldn't possibly get better than this. 

I hope that we're saying the similar things in 20 years about the issues with VR now. 

• Like 4

I don’t think we will ever see again the jump graphics wise going from the ps1/n64 to ps2/Xbox/GC. Was massive at the time and looking back it hasn’t been repeated IMO. Diminishing returns I suppose.

7 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

I don’t think we will ever see again the jump graphics wise going from the ps1/n64 to ps2/Xbox/GC. Was massive at the time and looking back it hasn’t been repeated IMO. Diminishing returns I suppose.

PS2 to PS3 was pretty big at the time, I remember seeing trailers for GT5 and the like and being in awe and feeling like the possibilities were endless. . The next 2 generations hardly feel the same in terms of upgrades. The biggest improvements seem to be framerates and refresh rates more than anything.

37 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

PS2 to PS3 was pretty big at the time, I remember seeing trailers for GT5 and the like and being in awe and feeling like the possibilities were endless. . The next 2 generations hardly feel the same in terms of upgrades. The biggest improvements seem to be framerates and refresh rates more than anything.

I don’t know, some of the last lot of ps2 games looked amazing. GT4 to GT5 as big a jump as GT2 to GT3? GT4 was a stunning looking game on ps2, fairly sure it had a 1080p mode as well?

15 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

I don’t know, some of the last lot of ps2 games looked amazing. GT4 to GT5 as big a jump as GT2 to GT3? GT4 was a stunning looking game on ps2, fairly sure it had a 1080p mode as well?

Yeah GT3 looked amazing. I poured endless hours into that in high school. I never played the PS1 games but when I see footage of GT1 and 2, they look like 10 years older than it. GT 4 has a 1080i mode, and some screenshots I've seen of it made it look like PS3 graphics basically. Could never get it to look like that for me unfortunately.

PS3 had a level of photorealism we haven't seen yet though, mostly for facial models and the like. Sports games looked so much better. Look at the difference between San Andreas and GTA4 for example. It's kind of like the jump from GT2 to GT3 in that respect.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wilko154 said:

I remember getting my PS3 and being blown away by Motorstorm. Just looked at some videos of it on Youtube and it still looks pretty bearing mind we are now 2 gens ahead.

I'm only just getting into the PS3, and the graphics are on par with the Switch basically. Some games like WipeOut HD look gorgeous.

On 26/03/2021 at 11:22, Beastmix said:

I thought this of the game Three Lions at the time...

Three Lions:

p302 on Twitter: "“@90sfootball: England line up on the Three Lions video  game. http://t.co/hXucZnyipo” Name that player!?!"

My abiding memories of that game are a frankly bonkers dartboard-style shooting mechanic and an Ocean Colour Scene FMV.

• Like 1

On 26/03/2021 at 16:22, hogso said:

I very vividly remember playing Gran Turismo (1) and thinking that graphics couldn't possibly get better than this. 

On 26/03/2021 at 18:29, Ingram85 said:

For me it it was when the 3DFX Voodoo graphics turned up on the PC. The resolution, quality and framerates took such a gigantic leap. And it was easy to compare as it was the same game, just rendered with an accelerator and leaving the CPU alone.

0213_quake.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, GarethRDR said:

My abiding memories of that game are a frankly bonkers dartboard-style shooting mechanic and an Ocean Colour Scene FMV.

Mine are that there was a button to intentionally elbow a player, and that it was really shit. I actually still have my PS1 copy of it. 

I can remember being blown away by Goldeneye. Now it looks like a video of a foggy day filmed on bad VHS played back on a crap telly smeared in Vaseline as viewed by someone with bad cataracts.

I mentioned it last year in OT but it kinda blows me away that in 1999 we had Tony Hawk's Pro Skater come out with multiple characters, multiple levels, iconic soundtrack, on a single CD - 700mb or so. Last year a remake came out where the demo, with a single character and single level, was 4gb. The size and detail now being thrown around in even comparatively simple games now is crazy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Chindie said:

I can remember being blown away by Goldeneye. Now it looks like a video of a foggy day filmed on bad VHS played back on a crap telly smeared in Vaseline as viewed by someone with bad cataracts.

Somebody posted (you?) the leaked cancelled xbox360 release. It looked pretty fantastic :)

12 minutes ago, Tegis said:

Somebody posted (you?) the leaked cancelled xbox360 release. It looked pretty fantastic :)

Yeah the remaster looked better, much better, but still ultimately looked a bit rough even for that time (because fundamentally what they were doing was tidying up the game - boost the resolution, frame rate, up the texture quality etc). 

But the original release is a horror show these days. It's so so blurry and foggy and murky, and the frame rate drops constantly. But at release I thought it was incredible. 

Worse than that is the PS1. There's some rough stuff in that first period of home console 3d games. If anything that was highlighted by the PlayStation Classic - there's some games that released on that that are absolutely atrocious today.

• Like 1

Â