The retro gaming thread!

BOF

23 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

How's the performance on PS3?

Rather good, I haven’t noticed much going on apart from a few frame drops on the starting grid as the camera swoops round but it’s for 1 or 2 seconds and that’s it but then I can’t remember how it ran originally on the ps1 and if it did that already. But to my untrained eye I can’t see anything going wrong. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Rather good, I haven’t noticed much going on apart from a few frame drops on the starting grid as the camera swoops round but it’s for 1 or 2 seconds and that’s it but then I can’t remember how it ran originally on the ps1 and if it did that already. But to my untrained eye I can’t see anything going wrong. 

Yeah that's how the small sample size of games I played felt. Pretty darn smooth. Sad that it's going to come to an end rather soon (digitally at least). 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

Got stuck right back into Gran Turismo 2, graphics aside it’s still a phenomenal game. I’d love an update of the Grindelwald track in GT7.

GT3 for me was the pinnacle of the series almost RPGesque elements which for me as someone who isn't really in to racing games is what sets it apart from others 

GT4 got some things wrong, I'm sure one of the license rewards or an easy cup reward was a concept car that then smashed the next 50% of the game 

Edited by villa4europe

41 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

GT3 for me was the pinnacle of the series almost RPGesque elements which for me as someone who isn't really in to racing games is what sets it apart from others 

GT4 got some things wrong, I'm sure one of the license rewards or an easy cup reward was a concept car that then smashed the next 50% of the game 

GT3 was the first Wow moment in gaming for me I think but GT4, and I say this as an ex graphics whore, was sublime to look at. I just wish I had a way of hooking up a ps2 to my tv and it looking good then I’d start collecting ps2 games again. But without spending literally hundreds, it looks like ass on a 4ktv. 

My console history 

1st was a hand me down atari from my dad, can't remember too much about it other than pitfall being my favourite 

Snes - Xmas present with street fighter 2 included, what a console, the beginning on my addiction and arguably still the best console ive ever had, out of the usual of super Mario world, super metro and link to the past I've got fond memories of playing jurassic Park on it, need to try and get zombies ate my neighbours too, been too long since I last played them, other underrated games I piled hours in to were animaniacs and duck dodgers - the Snes gives me a problem though, I prefer 2D classic Nintendo games, especially metroid, need to play more recent Mario and zelda games

Gameboy - my auntie lived in Canada and sent one over, mad how much I played tetris and of course Mario but other than that I can't remember much about the games I had on it, alien 3 was definitley one which was way too hard for 8 year old me, had a few iterations of the Gameboy over the years, advanced for a short while, tribal pattern SP for a long time, ex girlfriends DS, the biggest shame is probably that I never played any of the RPGs on them, did play all the professor Leyton games on the DS, great games 

PlayStation 1 - my older cousin had one that I played on a bit, me and my brother used our birthday money to buy one, came with some god awful game that I would say was a bit like rez, used to get tonnes of demon discs and magazines for it, eventually saved up and went to get my first game... Resident Evil... I'd never heard of it, just went in the shop had a look around and it was on offer so I got it, I was about 12 or 13, incredible game, I seemed to pick up games with a bit of luck, gor FF7 down kiddy market cheap enticed by the fact that it was a double disc case, so many easy to forget good games, g police, fear effect, soul reaver, vagrant story... So many incredible big games, played most of the big franchises, can remember it being a time where I was getting games master monthly and building hype around games like FF8, RE2 and MGS, played the RE2 demo to death, I started to know release dates etc really got in to it 

PS2 - got one at launch from woolworths, £300 and had to register months in advance, was proper buzzing over it, picked up time splitters, dynasty warriors 2, a game called something like x force and then a Sony 1st party off road driving game, time splitters was a brilliant game, that's the game that friends from school came round mine wanting to play, personally though I fell in love with dynasty warriors, if I played the RE2 demo to death then I'm not sure how to describe the amount of hours I put in to the MGS2 demo 

Dreamcast - it wasn't really mine it was my brothers, our next door neighbour had one and I talked my brother in to buying one because I wanted to play code veronica, it wasnt great, the controller was shit, the memory card was weird, we'd never owned a Sega before so didn't know or care for their franchises much... But shenmue!! **** I loved shenmue, played my first online game on it that free chu chu sky rocket or whatever it was called, there was also a good football game on it, in general not enough games on it, I doubt between us we bought 10 games on it 

Xbox - I was working at Game and picked up a 2nd hand one to see what the fuss was, I'll be honest and say xbox has never really been my thing, I like single player story focused games, I don't like halo, gears or forza, I've played so much playstation that for me it's the xbox controller that doesn't feel right, the controller was too big, didn't appreciate the star wars games for being as good as they were, favourite games were chronicles of riddick and King fu chaos, one thing I do credit them for is achievements, always thought they were bullshit and uneccesary until I got the xbox 

Gamecube - got it for RE4 which was brilliant, good little console but it just had no games, another console where I doubt I bought 10 games for it, other than RE it was the great MGS remake, can remember xiii being good too

PSP - imported one at launch from Hong Kong using eBay so had it 9 months before it came out in the UK, it was OK, can't remember what games I had because of them being imports, definitley winning 11 which seeing as I was a huge PES player was interesting, lumines, metal gear acid, wipe out was good on it, loco roco was probably the best game I had 

360 - not sure why I went 360 first, rather than ps3, probably cost, would have been mainly multiplat games, didn't have xbox gold or play online, really enjoyed Alan wake

PlayStation 3 - my mom sold her house and bought me one, started to catch up with what I'd missed, kill one, resistance, took me ages to play uncharted, a mate leant to me, loved it

Wii - was back working at game and we sold so many of these and there was such a buzz about it that I traded my 360 for it, a week later I used my job to change it back, I hated the thing, it wasn't how I played games, 4am sessions waving the sticks around didn't work, I've never been back to ninetendo since 

PS4 - got one at launch again, came with kill one, brilliant console, so many great games, Sony smashed it out of the park, think I've played just about all the big exclusives, got playstation TV, they were so close to doing somethibg incredible... And they put the psp dashboard on it and it was shit 

Xbone - traded a load of stuff for it at cex, got rid of all my DVDs, blu rays, couple of old phones, decided to stop collecting games and go down to 1 or 2 at a time, went through the back catalogue quickly (ryse for a fiver etc) same as before I don't play the exclusives and prefer the PS, game pass is brilliant though and something really underrated on the xbone - you can get kodi as an app, if you know you know... 

PS5 - picked it up at launch, not sure why to be honest, got a new TV to support it too (no regrets on the TV!) it's got the makings of a good console just needs time, the inclusion of asto bot is genius, the controller is proper next level 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

I saw a guy ranking all of the games in detail and I'm pretty sure it was either GT2 or 3 that had the F1 car given to you pretty early in the game if you cheesed the licenses which made the rest of the game too easy. And there weren't any car restrictions. Apparently GT4 corrected that.

36 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

GT3 was the first Wow moment in gaming for me I think but GT4, and I say this as an ex graphics whore, was sublime to look at. I just wish I had a way of hooking up a ps2 to my tv and it looking good then I’d start collecting ps2 games again. But without spending literally hundreds, it looks like ass on a 4ktv. 

I'm in the same spot. I have so many PS2 games to play but no motivation because it looks like crap. Even spending hundreds won't help. I have an OSSC and it's practically useless for 480i content.

My solution is to get a CRT. Only thing holding me back is space really. 

Edited by Keyblade

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

I saw a guy ranking all of the games in detail and I'm pretty sure it was either GT2 or 3 that had the F1 car given to you pretty early in the game if you cheesed the licenses which made the rest of the game too easy. And there weren't any car restrictions. Apparently GT4 corrected that.

Cadillac cien concept car 02 was the one, won it by winning one of the first easy rally races

I won a huge number of races using that car

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Keyblade said:

GT4 had a race fairly early on which was really short but you won a really expensive car which you could immediately sell. And you could do it over and over again. I remember that taking a lot of the fun out of it because you didn't need to grind for money anymore

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

GT4 had a race fairly early on which was really short but you won a really expensive car which you could immediately sell. And you could do it over and over again. I remember that taking a lot of the fun out of it because you didn't need to grind for money anymore

My memory is the same, buy an mx 5, win the first cup, do it up slightly, win the next cup, win the mazda cup, win whatever wheel drive cup it was, buy a 2nd hand subaru / mitsubishi / skyline grind a load of races to do that car up, see what you win and pick off the convertible cup, 80s Cup etc then after around 15 hours you can plan your first supercar, then grind the 100 lap endurance race... 

GT4 gave you too much too quick 

That's the downfall of forza and other racing games IMO, like I said I like the RPG elements of the early GT games 

3 hours ago, Beastmix said:

I still recall the games/bundles I initially got with mine:

Spectrum ZX: CJ's Elephant Antics

Atari 2600: Defender II & Pitfall

Master System II: Alex Kidd in Miracle World (built in), Action Fighter, Sonic 1, World Soccer, Super Monaco GP

Mega Drive: Mega Games I (Columns, Super Hang On, World Cup Italia 90), Mega Games II (Streets of Rage, Golden Axe, Revenge of Shinobi - possibly the greatest single cartridge of all time), Batman, Steel Empire

PS1: Tekken 2, Porsche Challenge (underrated!), Adidas Power Soccer International 97, Crash Bandicoot

PS2: Timesplitters, Smuggler's Run, Tekken Tag Tournament

Timesplitters still one of the best multiplayer games I have ever played.Would love for them to reboot the series

• Like 3

MS2 - Alex Kidd Built in

GameBoy - Tennis & SML

PS1 - GT2 & Le Mans 24 Hour

PC - PGA 96, Theme Hospital & Tomb Raider 2

N64 - Goldeneye & OoT

PS2 - GT3

Gamecube - Rogue Squadron 2

GBA - Tony Hawks 2

Xbox - PGR & Munch’s Odyssey 

PSP - Pro Evo, Ridge Racer & Smackdown vs Raw

DS - SM64 DS & Ridge Racer DS

360 - PDZ - PGR3

Wii - Twilight Princess & Wii Sports

PS3 - Killzone 2 & a Motorstorm I think

Wii U - The two Zelda HD remasters

PS4 - Got the Destiny Crystal White OG model so Destiny & Killzone 

VITA - Uncharted GA

Xbox One S - Forza Horizon 3 & Rare Reply

2DS - Pokemon Moon

Switch - BotW

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Big Salad said:

Timesplitters still one of the best multiplayer games I have ever played.Would love for them to reboot the series

i loved the challenges and the unlockables, 150 odd characters i think wasnt there?

had a look at the wiki, says the IP is now owned by koch media who seem like they just buy up small studios and properties but dont release that many games

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

i loved the challenges and the unlockables, 150 odd characters i think wasnt there?

had a look at the wiki, says the IP is now owned by koch media who seem like they just buy up small studios and properties but dont release that many games

The only one of the 150-odd characters which mattered was Robofish 😂

Edited by Beastmix

45 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Didn’t the team that did Goldeneye do Timesplitters 2 ?

For anyone who's interested, I took some shots of FF7 for PS1 (technically on my PSP, and of other games if anyone's interested) with and without scanlines to simulate the old CRT experience. It's not a true 1:1 recreation I don't think but it really opened my eyes to why I've always felt something looked off when playing the early 3D games, espeically FF7 (I have the Switch port). 

FF7 in particular just looks jarring in hi-res, with the 2D hand-drawn backgrounds not meshing well at all with the blocky 3D models. I don't remember feeling that way back in the day and now I know why. When I was playing with scanlines on, it was all seamless and the backgrounds were gorgeous. It also does a lot for the FMV cutscenes which look compressed to hell on modern displays.

6 hours ago, Keyblade said:

For anyone who's interested, I took some shots of FF7 for PS1 (technically on my PSP, and of other games if anyone's interested) with and without scanlines to simulate the old CRT experience. It's not a true 1:1 recreation I don't think but it really opened my eyes to why I've always felt something looked off when playing the early 3D games, espeically FF7 (I have the Switch port). 

FF7 in particular just looks jarring in hi-res, with the 2D hand-drawn backgrounds not meshing well at all with the blocky 3D models. I don't remember feeling that way back in the day and now I know why. When I was playing with scanlines on, it was all seamless and the backgrounds were gorgeous. It also does a lot for the FMV cutscenes which look compressed to hell on modern displays.

Some games were just designed to be played on CRT. This tweet shows a great example of how crap old games can look on modern TVs: CRT Pixels on Twitter: "Mega Man X (1993, Capcom) - SNES Raw Pixels vs. PVM-20L2MD S-Video Mega Man X is quickly becoming another one of my favorite CRT examples. https://t.co/igUHPverLf" / Twitter

• Like 1

Â