January 2017 transfer window

Jareth

6 minutes ago, NASTY_LEE said:

Do you think he'll give us a 99% update or will we need to wait for the deal to be done? 

He basically said it is 100% done. The player himself is determined to join Villa, and medical is no problem.

So should expect an OA tomorrow. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I think Jagielka could be an ambitious but attainable signing 

I don't. I should think a few Premier teams would kill to have him in their squad. 

7 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I think Jagielka could be an ambitious but attainable signing 

Like Barry and Cleverly and Crouch and Delph. 

The problem is there will always be a two bit Premier League club who we used to look down on that such players would rather sign for than drop into The Championship. 

We feed off scraps now. The fact is Watford mean more to a professional footballer than we do. It's horrible and crushing but that's the way it is.  

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

Like Barry and Cleverly and Crouch and Delph. 

The problem is there will always be a two bit Premier League club who we used to look down on that such players would rather sign for than drop into The Championship. 

We feed off scraps now. The fact is Watford mean more to a professional footballer than we do. It's horrible and crushing but that's the way it it. 

I agree, it's something that I think we have adapted to reasonably well

I'm happier with incoming players who are making a step up to join us rather than a step down. Jagielka has obviously had a good career and large portion of it in the Premier League. I would rather us sign the players who are hungry to achieve, happy to sign and have it all in front of them. There is a place for more experienced pros but we have to be careful - we wouldn't want another Lescott type player joining. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villanwesty88 said:

I'm happier with incoming players who are making a step up to join us rather than a step down. Jagielka has obviously had a good career and large portion of it in the Premier League. I would rather us sign the players who are hungry to achieve, happy to sign and have it all in front of them. There is a place for more experienced pros but we have to be careful - we wouldn't want another Lescott type player joining. 

You've just summed up Lambert's first window. 

No thanks. I would not take the Westwoods and Bennett's of this world over seasoned professionals. 

Obviously there are extremes either side but on the whole I'm happy with tried and trusted over gambling on players again. 

3 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Jagielka? Crikey, is the Lescott disaster a distant memory now..

I dont know. Jagielka has always seemed like a decent guy and can only remember the England thing recently when he went drinking

Lescott on other hand always came across as a clearing in the woods :P

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

No thanks. I would not take the Westwoods and Bennett's of this world over seasoned professionals. 

Obviously there are extremes either side but on the whole I'm happy with tried and trusted over gambling on players again. 

You're right, there are extremes on each side. I was thinking a player like Hourihane who has proven himself at the level we find ourselves and will make a step up to join us. So in a sense Hourihane is tried and trusted. I'm not talking about signing complete gambles, I'm talking about us getting players from lesser clubs at either CH or LG1 level or PL reserves who would be making a step up to play first team football for us.

13 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Oh yeah,  well I suppose you would have been perfectly happy is we had signed Jerrmain Defoe when he came back from America then? 

Ermmm sorry,  yes of course you would,... Sorry bad example :D

1 hour ago, The Fun Factory said:

Like a day of eating all bran are we about to have some movement in the transfer window?

No. More like constipated. We are having trouble moving our shit.

13 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Oh yeah,  well I suppose you would have been perfectly happy is we had signed Jerrmain Defoe when he came back from America then? 

Ermmm sorry,  yes of course you would,... Sorry bad example :D

Not sure if you replied to the wrong person there?

Anyway - Defoe. Of course it would've been a good signing. I was saying I'd prefer the up and coming players who really want to be here - doesn't mean they've barely played football. Hourihane has proved it at the level we are playing. Players like him are the kind I want to see us getting in. 

For every Defoe there is a Ricky Lambert and an Emmanuel Adebayor :P