January 2017 transfer window

Jareth

didn't Downing come out and say he was definitely staying (due to the faith we put in that broken leg of his), for him to then be pictured in a Liverpool scarf a couple of weeks later? What's the difference to that and Delph?

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/stewart-downing-pledges-stay-aston-151695

Edited by carewjust4u
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, carewjust4u said:

didn't Downing come out and say he was definitely staying (due to the faith we put in that broken leg of his), for him to then be pictured in a Liverpool scarf a couple of weeks later? What's the difference to that and Delph?

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/stewart-downing-pledges-stay-aston-151695

That article is from April 2011 - he moved to Liverpool in July (for £20m!).  Also, he's only saying he's "happy here".  So he's happy, but got his head turned by Liverpool.

Delph from article dated 11 July 2015: "I'm not leaving.  I'm staying at the football club.", picture taken of him with the captain armband etc.  He signed for City 6 days later.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, bobzy said:

That article is from April 2011 - he moved to Liverpool in July (for £20m!).  Also, he's only saying he's "happy here".  So he's happy, but got his head turned by Liverpool.

Delph from article dated 11 July 2015: "I'm not leaving.  I'm staying at the football club.", picture taken of him with the captain armband etc.  He signed for City 6 days later.

Delph , Downing - move on guys ....

We are in for Tony Buggins from scunthorpe u21's ......thats where are at ! 

9 minutes ago, hippo said:

Delph , Downing - move on guys ....

We are in for Tony Buggins from scunthorpe u21's ......thats where are at ! 

from what i have seen of some of these lower leagues .....we could do well for a few gambles.....but not to be our main core/source of transfer.

They are the sort that will respond positively to the big ground and salubrious training ground and it will give them a lift.

we want players who are going to fight for Aston Villa and fight for a career for themselves.

I accept we cannot rely wholly and soley on this market.....but we might get pleasantly surprised and unearth a few gems.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, TRO said:

from what i have seen of some of these lower leagues .....we could do well for a few gambles.....but not to be our main core/source of transfer.

I think those sort of deals have their place and can work, we all know the ones that have but we all know the ones that haven't at B6 as well.

Right now, we need quality, proven performers at this level or higher. 

The summer can be different if we are still in this league, which I fear we will be, but right now we need players to come in and try and help us kick on immediately.

I think that is the way Bruce and Round view it as well.

Prices are inflated in Jan, its the window to go get what you need immediately not anything else but that is just my view.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, peterms said:

To be fair, it was us that injured him in the first place.  Stan, wasn't it?

Yes, but we also gave him a lot of leeway through his first several months of bad performances. In totality his tenure at Villa was a shambles, made all the worse by his lack of gratitude towards the end.

10 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I think those sort of deals have their place and can work, we all know the ones that have but we all know the ones that haven't at B6 as well.

Right now, we need quality, proven performers at this level or higher. 

The summer can be different if we are still in this league, which I fear we will be, but right now we need players to come in and try and help us kick on immediately.

I think that is the way Bruce and Round view it as well.

Prices are inflated in Jan, its the window to go get what you need immediately not anything else but that is just my view.

No, I think you are spot on.

my comments were more of a general nature.

• Like 1

To get to the playoffs with a chance of getting to Wembley and winning - also with an eye on PL survival

We need

Johnstone

New signing Chester Baker NS

NS

Adomah       NS         Amavi

Grealish/McC/Ayew

Kodjia

Subs/Squad

GK Golini

RB/WB NS - Bacuna

CB NS - Elphick

LB/WB NS

DM Jedi

CM NS - Tish

AM Grealish/Ayew/McC

RW NS

LW NS

CF NS

So we need at least 4 in for 1st 11

A further 4 for the bench (RB CB CM CF)

another 3 for a Squad

We should be buying/loaning with intent to win EVERY CH GAME (yes even Toon away) then ALL 3 playoff games (who knows but 63pts + 35 might be enough for first/second)

We are AVFC

The Club with the biggest Bollox outside the PL

Now this club deserves a team/squad with the Bollox needed to get us out of here

41 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I'm told we've bid £1m more than Watford and Derby.

Surely Watford and Derby will come in and at least match us then. I can't believe in today's market we'd snatch him from under their noses for a mere £3mill. That's peanuts. Fantastic business if we do though.