January 2017 transfer window

Jareth

Just been checking out the Barnsley fans reaction to our supposed interest in James Bree.  Here's the gist of it...

He's definitely rated by them and has interested the big boys before (Man U / Man City). Seems they were hoping for one of those teams to come in for him and loan him back.

They don't think 4m is enough, but he's only got 6 months left on his contract, so under the circumstances a few of them are resigned to it.

The ITK's on there suggest that Barnsley view the bid as 'too good to turn down'...

3.jpg

Edited by GREAT_BEARD_OF_ZEUS
inserting image
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Flynnchin84 said:

There's a lot more to it than just signing 8-9-10-11 players...

Yes our squad is weak in certain areas, (midfield being the obvious) but have we not already spent £55m?

Put it into perspective, if we were spending the same proportion of money to other clubs in the premier league rather than the championship, we would be accused of "buying the league".

And one of our worst ever transfer windows is when we splashed out cash on a load of these french league players, and we know how that panned out.

We had to spend £55m because we never had a good squad. We still haven't got a complete one. There was and is nothing wrong with the French players. They're not to blame for the disaster that followed. We don't need to sign loads of players we only need about 3/4 additions in key areas and it seems Bruce knows where we need to strengthen. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, dn1982 said:

Sam Johnstone said hello 

Yeah fair play bud. I wasnt actually referring to what the club are up to as they havent disclosed anything. I was mostly commenting about the pages and pages of discussion about Delph & Downing. In fairness I didnt write it very well and should have put more effort into it lol

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, GREAT_BEARD_OF_ZEUS said:

Just been checking out the Barnsley fans reaction to our supposed interest in James Bree.  Here's the gist of it...

He's definitely rated by them and has interested the big boys before (Man U / Man City). Seems they were hoping for one of those teams to come in for him and loan him back.

They don't think 4m is enough, but he's only got 6 months left on his contract, so under the circumstances a few of them are resigned to it.

The ITK's on there suggest that Barnsley view the bid as 'too good to turn down'...

3.jpg

What us with all the players with 6 months left on their contract?

It has all gone a  it FIFA 17.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KSV said:

Permanent RB? Prob last thing we need. But hey if he's good why not. Offer them 12 million for Rhee and Hourihane.

You would get both for far less than that with their contracts runnIng out and Barnsley pretty safe.

Bearing in mind how utterly awful our midfield has been for some time I am extremely disappointed that we have not brought in at least one player yet. I would have hoped we had identified and been talking to targets for some time ready to come in immediately the window opened. 

Middlesbrough got targets in straight away,  why can't we? 

Doesn't look like anyone is coming in imminently either.  I am concerned. 

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

Bearing in mind how utterly awful our midfield has been for some time I am extremely disappointed that we have not brought in at least one player yet. I would have hoped we had identified and been talking to targets for some time ready to come in immediately the window opened. 

I was hoping we'd have deals lined up too ready and players would be in and settled for the wolves game - we could find ourselves too far adrift come the end of the month.

We are not a premier league club. Harder to attract players that easily. At least we have a new keeper done. Lansbury should be right for wolves.

Edited by KSV

Thing is the only card we, the buying club hold, is the money. Of course Boro got Gestede wrapped up nice and early - I doubt there was any competition for him at all. Lansbury is obviously being held up at the Forest end. Hourihane (if we are indeed interested in him which I hope we are) is entirely different. Barnsley probably want to sell rather than lose him for free in a few weeks time but there'll be competition. Sunderland for one have sent scouts to watch him this season I believe and I cant imagine other lower end PL clubs at least not being interested in one of the championship's stand out performers. I imagine he will have a lot of offers and a lot more enquiries in the next 3 weeks.

Edited by VILLAMARV

15 minutes ago, sidcow said:

This is a bit baffling. We've signed Johnstone. It looks like Lansbury is imminent. It's harder to sign players in Jan but we seem to be making headway.  Transfers tend to have a domino effect. When one club gets one in it frees up other players. Rhodes for example will probably move now Rudy has gone there. We've been linked with Cleverley and McCarthy for Everton and they'll probably move once Scheiderlin joins. Transfers aren't straight forward a lot of the time. We are in a bit of a panic because every point counts but I'd rather get the right player on deadline day than get the easiest option now. 

5 minutes ago, KSV said:

We are not a premier league club. Harder to attract players that easily. At least we have a new keeper done. Lansbury should be right for wolves.

True but we are not shopping in the premier league - the players we have been linked with , Bree , hourihane, Rhodes etc should still hopefully see villa as a forward move in their career.

As for premier league players we are likely to attract squad or fringe players at best 

4 minutes ago, dn1982 said:

This is a bit baffling. We've signed Johnstone. It looks like Lansbury is imminent. It's harder to sign players in Jan but we seem to be making headway.  Transfers tend to have a domino effect. When one club gets one in it frees up other players. Rhodes for example will probably move now Rudy has gone there. We've been linked with Cleverley and McCarthy for Everton and they'll probably move once Scheiderlin joins. Transfers aren't straight forward a lot of the time. We are in a bit of a panic because every point counts but I'd rather get the right player on deadline day than get the easiest option now. 

I don't see how it's baffling given that we have had time to target players before the window opens - if we miss out on the play offs by the odd point will we look back on January as the time we dropped points we could I'll afford to drop.

i feel we need to be 6 points at worse off the play offs come Jan 31 to really fancy pulling it back .

If we have identify our targets and it means paying a bit over the odds now then so be it .

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Doesn't look like anyone is coming in imminently either. 

Err yes it does. The landsbury deal seems to have been agreed and is just being held up by the nffc takeover.

Edited by villa89

8 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Err yes it does. The landsbury deal seems to have been agreed and is just being held up by the nffc takeover.

Would be a good boost if we can get this over the line so he can play at wolves 

17 minutes ago, villa89 said:

According to who is it done and the takeover is agreed tomorrow?  I can't see someone taking over a new club and immediately sanctioning a sale,  I would have thought that they would want to take stock first. 

Even if it does happen tomorrow I would have hoped for something sooner. 

I get the impression trying to do transfers in January is a bit of a nightmare: it always seems to be a struggle, for us and for others. I'm sure they're working on things—they are according to Bruce and Xia. A few weeks ago Bruce said he had two deals pretty much done. That's a pretty good indication that he's trying, and the fact that we've only actually seen one transfer is another indication that it's difficult to get things done. 

We're also 12th in the Championship. Other teams have a lot more sway than us unfortunately. 

Edited by praisedmambo
  • Like 1

Despite or league position, we have resources and ambition well above where we are now, and any player and agent will know this. Any player considering offers from us, Palace, Sunderland etc would know they run the risk of playing championship football next season, despite the latter being above us and in the PL now, so it's a level playing field.

i would fancy Bruce has gone cold on Westwood and Gardner, so even if they stay they would not be in his first team thinking so at least two or three midfielders are needed.