January 2017 transfer window

Jareth

@skarroki 

Surely we need a squad? By the same token, the transfer window isn't closed, perhaps we will see more outgoings. 

On the one hand you say you are very happy with the window up until this point, next you are chastising them for singing a massive pile of players they've not actually signed yet. Perhaps waiting till midnight tomorrow would be prudent but either way, Steve Bruce should be afforded the opportunity to build his squad no? 

Everybody would like to see McCormack and Richards etc moved on, I think, but that's not always possible. What if they don't want to move? We could smuggle them out in the back of a ford cortina I suppose, if we can get the gate open. 

As for hoping Calder is good enough, that's literally just you hoping that. What if he isn't and Amavi is injured? What then? I know I know, Cissokho, but he's gone. The manager didn't rate him, I didn't rate him, so fine. Hopefully Taylor is an upgrade. 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, skarroki said:

No, it refers to a lot of players at the club on premier league wages, I phrased it wrong.

I thought that there would be a fair few faces leaving the club once we'd got the deals over the line so what I envisaged was a club trimming it's oversized squad now that it had the quality needed in every position in the first XI. Instead in Taylor and other names mentioned, we seem to be adding further to the players that aren't good enough, (in my opinion) for the present or future of the team.

I know all fans rate players differently so understand that you obviously don't rate Cissokho and wanted him out, but I personally would rather we got rid of Kozak, Gabby, McCormack, Gardner, Westwood, Hutton, Richards and Bunn before Cissokho left. And when he did go I was hoping that it meant Calder was considered good enough as a backup and that he might get some game time. So that's where I was coming from. 

The problem is finding clubs to take them off our hands in the first place, and who are willing to pay the majority of their over inflated wages. However, I genuinely don't think the situation is that bad. Kozak, Bunn and Hutton are all out of contract in the summer and will most likely not be offered new contracts. Cissokho has already left on loan and Westwood looks certain to move to Burnley...for actual money. I'm pretty sure we can off load McCormack to someone. Plus Gabby's improved of late and could probably do a job from the bench this season, while Gardner has only just signed a new contract so was always very unlikely to leave. Richards is still an issue but you can't win them all. UTV

Edited by Supervillan78
  • Like 3

@dont_do_it_doug.

I don't mean to chastise them for signing lots of players that have yet to arrive. I'm trying to say that the squad is too big and yes, Bruce can build the squad he wants, but let him do that in the summer, when the out of contract players can be moved on and the out of favour players have enough time to be found new clubs to be shifted on to. 

It sounded from the start of the window like Bruce was talking about drastically improving the starting XI, the rest would wait till the summer. We've done that and now I'm confused why we're continuing to push for more deals is all. 

I will wait for the end of the window before giving any final judgement on our business in it. I'm just airing my concerns about the current rumours circulating, going into the last 24 hours. 

Truth is some of the absolute dross we have wouldn't even get a game at Sunderland and you only have to look at their transfers to see how desperate they are. If we operated on the basis of having to sell Richards for example to finance other moves etc we wouldn't have signed anyone, that is the reality. Nobody wants them so why should the club stand still on that basis.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, StewieGriffin said:

I know 3 things about Scott Hogan

1. He is a striker

2. He plays for Brentford 

3. His name is Scott Hogan

please enlighten me

Hogan isn't related to the Wrestler a shame I know, he's just a regular guy sharing a legendary last name. 

More useful facts;

He scored 17 goals in 33 games for Rochdale 

He has scored 21 goals in 33 games for Brentford.

Last season he scored 7 goals in 7 games. Meanwhile this season he has scored 14 goals in 25 games.

He's a striker. Not sure how he gets these goals, but he gets them and is prolific enough to give me the impression he's versatile.

Aside from that no clue. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, StewieGriffin said:

1. He is a striker

please enlighten me

His pace is can be frightening and his finishing is great. He's out of contract so a lot of clubs sniffing around for a cut-price deal but noones been willing to cough up the outrageous demands of £12mil that Brentford wanted. 

Has enough good attributes to do a job out wide, but would play up front predominantly if he signed I'd imagine. He's been in form this season and is almost custom-made to play in front of a midfield containing Hourihane. 

I'm in danger of coming across as the most negative person on the site but I think the best way to describe him is Gabby Agbonlahor under MON, but older, not quite as quick but better at finishing. Not sure he'd compliment Kodjia in a partnership but equally can't see either out the team so not sure how this would work. 

Here's an interview with him. Has a touch of the Hourihanes about him in terms of his drive and personality: http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/football-league/scott-hogan-bounces-back-from-two-career-threatening-injuries-in-bid-to-live-up-to-jamie-vardy-a7024466.html

Edited by skarroki
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, StewieGriffin said:

1. He is a striker

please enlighten me

So, you're saying when it comes to Hogan:

images.jpg

Edited by Ponky
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Re , Moose ,isn't it weird how the face rarely fits the voice? 

This. His voice is EXACTLY the same as a mate of mine, so that's how I imagined him. Completely different. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, skarroki said:

His pace is can be frightening and his finishing is great. He's out of contract so a lot of clubs sniffing around for a cut-price deal but noones been willing to cough up the outrageous demands of £12mil that Brentford wanted. 

Has enough good attributes to do a job out wide, but would play up front predominantly if he signed I'd imagine. He's been in form this season and is almost custom-made to play in front of a midfield containing Hourihane. 

I'm in danger of coming across as the most negative person on the site but I think the best way to describe him is Gabby Agbonlahor under MON, but older, not quite as quick but better at finishing. Not sure he'd compliment Kodjia in a partnership but equally can't see either out the team so not sure how this would work. 

Here's an interview with him. Has a touch of the Hourihanes about him in terms of his drive and personality: http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/football-league/scott-hogan-bounces-back-from-two-career-threatening-injuries-in-bid-to-live-up-to-jamie-vardy-a7024466.html

Just to clarify that Hogan is NOT out of contract in the summer hence the higher asking price.