January 2017 transfer window

Jareth

Tomorrow is going to be one of the most interesting Deadline Days in years, including summer.

We went in to the transfer window desperately needing a new midfield, and have achieved that, but we're now equally as desperate for striker reinforcements. We've seen Gestede, Ayew and McCormack depart (or basically become unavailable), seen Hepburn-Murphy do a u-turn on his contract and Gabby show that even if he's back in the fold he's rarely going to score.

There's talk of Hogan or Rhodes etc. I don't think we need x 'or' x, we need both. We're seriously depleted in this area. Will people's optimism for even a slight late charge to the playoffs be destroyed if we go in to Wednesday with just Kodjia?! Imagine if he got injured! What was an exciting window has turned in to quite a scary one in the last week.

We need TWO strikers, we might survive on one more but the risk with transfer deadline day is deals falling through for random reasons and being left with nothing.

4 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

He has lots of pace and can play wide if need be, not a one trick pony like McCormack. 

Cool. I've not seen much of him, but I do note that statistically he is awful outside of finishing. 66% pass completion, in fact he barely passes the ball at all with 11 per game. I'm literally just going by Whoscored stats here, rather than my eyes, so I'll bow to your greater knowledge. 

P.S. - Worth noting Jermain Defoe is also shit according to Whoscored. They're actually remarkably similar. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

Will one striker be enough?

Obviously we've stocked the midfield now which should start providing goals but I dunno we sold Rudy without getting a replacement in, RMC is persona non grata and Ayew is moving on so that's three attackers moving out.

Fair enough Gabby has looked lively recently but he dosen't suggest he's gong to score many goals even with o.k performances.

Seems very dependent on Kodjia staying fit for me. We also now seems to lack game turning options off the bench which we've had for most of this season.

I have reservations about Rhodes but I'd get him in now ideally on loan.

5 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Will one striker be enough?

Obviously we've stocked the midfield now which should start providing goals but I dunno we sold Rudy without getting a replacement in, RMC is persona non grata and Ayew is moving on so that's three attackers moving out.

Fair enough Gabby has looked lively recently but he dosen't suggest he's gong to score many goals even with o.k performances.

Seems very dependent on Kodjia staying fit for me. We also now seems to lack game turning options off the bench which we've had for most of this season.

I have reservations about Rhodes but I'd get him in now ideally on loan.

Have we??

9 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Cool. I've not seen much of him, but I do note that statistically he is awful outside of finishing. 66% pass completion, in fact he barely passes the ball at all with 11 per game. I'm literally just going by Whoscored stats here, rather than my eyes, so I'll bow to your greater knowledge. 

P.S. - Worth noting Jermain Defoe is also shit according to Whoscored. They're actually remarkably similar. 

I'd be pretty amazed if anyone knows much about him. He's like Hourihane - seems to be doing very well but nfi how he plays. 

Taylor/Ayew - I can't work this out. This surely undervalues Ayew, especially with the contract he signed. He may not be tearing up trees, but he still promises to show more than average.

I can't help but think we signed some decent players but seem to be allowing them to leave for peanuts: Delph, Adama, (especially) Geuye, Ayew and next will be Amavi. If this was Spurs, Levy would have trebled his money.

2 minutes ago, Phumfeinz said:

Have we??

I was thinking of when Rudy came on v Forest and turned that game around for us. You could also argue the Leeds game given he won the penalty with his presence for the cross.

For Burton game Ayew came on and provided the cross.

I like it when we have two strikers and an attacking midfielder on the bench...gives the opposition something else to think about when they start to tire around the 70 minute mark.

It has won us points this season.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, thunderball said:

Taylor/Ayew - I can't work this out. This surely undervalues Ayew, especially with the contract he signed. He may not be tearing up trees, but he still promises to show more than average.

I can't help but think we signed some decent players but seem to be allowing them to leave for peanuts: Delph, Adama, (especially) Geuye, Ayew and next will be Amavi. If this was Spurs, Levy would have trebled his money.

He's scored the grand total of two championship goals, one less than McCormack.

I liked him a lot last season but he's been a massive disappointment this season bar a decent September.

18 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

Tomorrow is going to be one of the most interesting Deadline Days in years, including summer.

We went in to the transfer window desperately needing a new midfield, and have achieved that, but we're now equally as desperate for striker reinforcements. We've seen Gestede, Ayew and McCormack depart (or basically become unavailable), seen Hepburn-Murphy do a u-turn on his contract and Gabby show that even if he's back in the fold he's rarely going to score.

There's talk of Hogan or Rhodes etc. I don't think we need x 'or' x, we need both. We're seriously depleted in this area. Will people's optimism for even a slight late charge to the playoffs be destroyed if we go in to Wednesday with just Kodjia?! Imagine if he got injured! What was an exciting window has turned in to quite a scary one in the last week.

We need TWO strikers, we might survive on one more but the risk with transfer deadline day is deals falling through for random reasons and being left with nothing.

AND we have a game of football stuck in the middle of it all

23 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

He has lots of pace and can play wide if need be, not a one trick pony like McCormack. 

only problem for me is he has a patchy injury record in the past from the sounds of it