Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, AshVilla said:

Part of the modern game now is to press the opposition which requires a high level of fitness something we fail to do miserably just look at how Spurs and Liverpool do it

Yes it is and we are abysmal at it even in the first half. There is a lot more than high levels of fitness required to perform it well. It takes a monumental amount of team cohesion. We're a million miles away from that though. The whole game I watched mccormack grow increasingly frustrated with the likes of kodjia, and tshibola not closing down. He'd close someone down, they'd pass it and mccormack would turn around to see the guy who had received the ball in acres of space. Pointless.

And, given injuries, mccormack has the biggest excuse for not being fit enough. Didn't stop him though.

Fitness for me is just another piss poor excuse to protect the mercenaries that are bleeding this sport dry.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Duck said:

A problem that no manager from the last how many years has managed to solve?

The article makes a valid point that these guys are paid huge sums of money to make sure they're fit and able to play.

The signings we made over the summer can't all have the same fitness problem as last years squad - elphick and jedinak not included.

i agree that there's a whole host of things going wrong somewhere, but how much can you actually change without getting any result?

I think the fact that we've had so many managers (and thus fitness coaches) over the last few years has probably contributed. And I don't think anybody here would deny that there have been severe problems with dressing room culture/professionalism down the years as well.

Fitness is just one of many issues that has been plaguing this club for years which has yet to be fixed.

• Like 1

Not sure if its been mentioned already and it isnt specifically a steve bruce comment (although he is continuing with it so i suppose it is), but when are we going to get a manager that instructs a player to stay up when we are defending a corner? I cant recall seeing another team that drags everyone back and yet for years now it seems that no manager has wanted to do this. We have pacy players who can take people on so it isnt even like we dont have anyone that would be a decent outlet up top. IT just encourages the opposition to push another couple of players forward for us to defend, and makes it ten times harder to break away and catch them on the counter. I cant see any reason why we dont keep an ayew, kodija or adomah up top when we defend corners. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, markavfc40 said:

And you have decided that after 4 days.

I’d have loved us to look like a completely different side on Saturday but really it wouldn’t have been realistic would it. Bruce had two training sessions and only one with the full squad as a number of the players didn’t return to training after International duty until Friday.

In that short time he actually managed to set us up in a formation that made sense for the first time in ages. Round pegs actually in round holes. After one game he immediately identified the fact that we look unfit and incapable of playing a pressing game something the previous manager in 12 games failed to acknowledge but Bruce after one game said he said he will be rectifying.

I know some have reservations about him and therefore there will be an obvious temptation to jump on his back quickly. I’d urge everyone though to give him a fair crack of the whip as the last thing we need is to be jumping on the managers back before he has even had a fair chance to have an impact. The issues he faces won’t be rectified overnight but at least he seems to have identified them which is further along the path to improvement than we were before he arrived.

He will fix this....for sure.

It strikes me that whatever the problem is.....they are all suffering from it

putting managers to one side for a moment.

for months now, whatever player switch we do, seems to have little effect in a general sense, sure there might be the odd occasion but by and large, substitutes make little or no difference to our play.

are there just too many players the same?

I do see a reluctance to get close to the opposition and make your presence felt.....that has been with us for seasons.....I would love SB to get shut of that horrible malaise, its unmanly and tentative.

what ever the problem is, its ubiquitous.

20 minutes ago, This Could Be Rotterdam said:

Not sure if its been mentioned already and it isnt specifically a steve bruce comment (although he is continuing with it so i suppose it is), but when are we going to get a manager that instructs a player to stay up when we are defending a corner? I cant recall seeing another team that drags everyone back and yet for years now it seems that no manager has wanted to do this. We have pacy players who can take people on so it isnt even like we dont have anyone that would be a decent outlet up top. IT just encourages the opposition to push another couple of players forward for us to defend, and makes it ten times harder to break away and catch them on the counter. I cant see any reason why we dont keep an ayew, kodija or adomah up top when we defend corners. 

This is basic stuff that we talk about that has not been happening.

....why do some teams not put a player on the post either at corners?

I think the amount of changes we have had over 24 months or so and decisions that have not bore fruit..... has created this Kaleidoscope of confusion.

Edited by TRO

They seem to have lost whatever self belief they had before they signed for us......

It will take a strong character to rise and lead this group of players maybe Bruce will do this for us? but he will need a voice on the pitch,someone who will take the game by its neck and inspire the other to reach their previous levels. Once this happens the crowd will naturally follow and things can start to progress.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Mantis said:

I think the fact that we've had so many managers (and thus fitness coaches) over the last few years has probably contributed. And I don't think anybody here would deny that there have been severe problems with dressing room culture/professionalism down the years as well.

Fitness is just one of many issues that has been plaguing this club for years which has yet to be fixed.

I think you make a significant point.

The players are not unaware of the catalogue of poor decisions and failed managers, they could be forgiven for shaking their heads in disbelief in private.

It is going to take a concoction of quite a few factors to remedy this.....stabililty, will, desire, endeavour, persistence, bravery, concentration, robustness, durability, conciseness,clarity,passion....stir well, bring to the boil and simmer for a while.....a sprinkle of "lady luck"

We might get a winning TEAM come out of it.

Fitness. Familiarity. A known formation/role/tactic.

These are the things that breed confidence in players and get them performing. Given the lack of any of those under RDM, it's going to take Bruce a little bit of time to get it right.

Picking a similar (if not the same) squad for his next game is a step in the right direction. Lets build from where we are, starting with a performance to a decent standard that goes for more than a half of football.

Looking forward to progress in our next game.

14 minutes ago, MarkLillis said:

They seem to have lost whatever self belief they had before they signed for us......

It will take a strong character to rise and lead this group of players maybe Bruce will do this for us? but he will need a voice on the pitch,someone who will take the game by its neck and inspire the other to reach their previous levels. Once this happens the crowd will naturally follow and things can start to progress.

I totally agree.

However, I did think Jedinak and Elphick was these guys.....seems not;)

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

will, desire, endeavour, persistence, bravery, concentration, robustness, durability, conciseness,clarity,passion

in other words professionalism

I have seen , and agree to an extent,  the argument about fitness.  but these are highly paid PROFESSIONAL sportsmen.  You would think keeping fit is something they would want to do,  would look to do and if they know they aren't fit would be raising hell about.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Johnnyp said:

We've recruited poor players over the last 4-5 years. The way i see it anyway.

But how and why? We have had various systems: manager responsible, committee responsible,  manager and ceo .  we have tried various methods and it isnt rocket science especially when other teams manage to do it so why?

32 minutes ago, Richard said:

in other words professionalism

I have seen , and agree to an extent,  the argument about fitness.  but these are highly paid PROFESSIONAL sportsmen.  You would think keeping fit is something they would want to do,  would look to do and if they know they aren't fit would be raising hell about.

I think some of the shenanigans at some of these clubs would astound many fans.

I also think, they are not nearly as professional as they would have us believe....and that goes for more clubs than just us.

The times under Graham Taylor & Ron Saunders are long gone from us.....we have had too much change for too long that has created this malaise at the club that will take one hell of a job to shift......too many mangers just dusting the shelves, instead of a shop refit.

I am just looking for SB to keep us up.....yes, that bad......I also think clubs like Sunderland are in a similar boat.

I think SB is the man to do it ....but not this year..... He will do well just to see some gradual improvement that leads to the odds wins here and there.

I think this will be a hard slog for any manager coming in, not just SB.....Because this garden has been neglected for years ( in terms of good habits)and it will take a monumental clean up, well before the new flowers will bloom.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Â