Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

31 minutes ago, Gary Thomas said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04bxjlv?ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbc_5_live_sports_extra&ns_source=twitter&ns_linkname=radio_and_music

Bruce targets immediate Premier League return for Aston Villa

New Aston Villa boss Steve Bruce has told 5 live Sport he has not given up hope of an immediate return to the Premier League this season.

Bruce has won promotion to the Premier League four times - twice with Villa's local rivals Birmingham - and is hoping he can do the same with his new club having replaced Roberto Di Matteo.

"When I went into Birmingham we were 15th going up to Christmas and we managed to get out of the division and I hope we can replicate it," he said.

"We need to go on a run but I have not given up hope of getting this club back where it should be, in the Premier League," Bruce added.

This clip is taken from 5 live Sport, Thursday 13 October 2016.

It's a big task from where we are now, but there is still a chance of the play offs. 

Looking at the average point requirements over the past 4 seasons for both automatic and PO positions, then taking current position into account, from here we need an approx average of 2.28 ppg for automatic and 1.85 for 6th. In real terms it's winning 6 and drawing one of every 10 games for play offs and 7 wins, 2 draws in every 10 for 2nd. Roughly, I think. 

Auto's have gone, play offs still possible. Just. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VillaCas said:

You know exactly what I mean you're just choosing to pretend otherwise.

I don't remember saying he buys old players but on the whole I think his record is very average

It's your option to think my opinion on who we would have prefered to sign is bollocks. Likewise I think your keen support of RDM was bollocks but we are all entitled to differing opinions. I'm pretty sure that if Wagner was available we would have appointed him

I understand your point, but you've cited managers that have nothing to do with it - or, rather, ones that have no background of developing... well, anything. 

Nothing on transfers then. But yes, your opinion of course...

...same as the last bit, but this just has no grounding. Why would you think the club preferred someone else when it hasn't happened at all? There's just absolutely nothing to suggest Wagner was a preferred target. Nothing! But yes, easy to label it an "opinion" and move on. Fair enough :)

("Keen support of RDM" - lol)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BOF said:

One thing I always look forward to with every new manager is who he spots in the youth/reserve side and brings in to the matchday squad.  You'd think given the imbalance in our midfield that Bruce would try someone like Lyden.  Hopefully there'll be some surprised in store.

I dont think his record at bringing through youth is any good. cant remember many at blues, wigan, sunderland or hull through the youth team

11 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

It's a big task from where we are now, but there is still a chance of the play offs. 

Looking at the average point requirements over the past 4 seasons for both automatic and PO positions, then taking current position into account, from here we need an approx average of 2.28 ppg for automatic and 1.85 for 6th. In real terms it's winning 6 and drawing one of every 10 games for play offs and 7 wins, 2 draws in every 10 for 2nd. Roughly, I think. 

Auto's have gone, play offs still possible. Just. 

It's still very possible for top 6.

We can only do it thinking short term, if we think we need roughly 75 points to make 6th then yes that is a massive ask but I look at it like this...if we can have the usual new manager bounce in next few games of say a win v Wolves, draw at Reading and then win at home to Fulham then that will be 17 points so we should only be 4-5 points off play offs with still 30 odd games left.

Automatic promotion is certainly a pipe dream imo...we really would have to go on a storming run for couple of months to be in contention.

9 minutes ago, TRO said:

At a time that there is so much bad press towards football people.

Steve Bruce takes a job with no agreement on the length of his contract.......

• Shows how much he wants the job
  • Shows his passion for the job as opposed to the money
  • Is testimony to the confidence of the man.

I think the first impressions bode well

Rolling contracts are ideal all round for managers. At any time you've got 12 months left. If we sack him he gets 12 months pay which is the norm when getting rid I believe anyway. If you give a short term one it gives the wrong impression. The club is doing good stuff off the pitch now it's up to Bruce to sort it out on it!! 

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

We can only do it thinking short term, if we think we need roughly 75 points to make 6th then yes that is a massive ask but I look at it like this...if we can have the usual new manager bounce in next few games of say a win v Wolves, draw at Reading and then win at home to Fulham then that will be 17 points so we should only be 4-5 points off play offs with still 30 odd games left.

Automatic promotion is certainly a pipe dream imo...we really would have to go on a storming run for couple of months to be in contention.

Unless that powerhouse Huddersfield blow up.

Just now, VillaChris said:

It is possible, especially if we could go on a little run.  Different people have looked at this in different ways, but in simple terms we have to win 'just over' half our games - so think 5 wins every 10 games, with a few more draws, and we'll be thereabouts. Do believe Bruce will get this team winning - all depends how quickly. 

3 minutes ago, Richard said:

To be fair that was a decent interview where he seems genuinely honoured to be here. I am not warming to him , as I'm a cold hearted bastard , but fair play for that I'm thawing a little

similar for me, the initial anger is wearing off but he will not get as much leeway as others did before.

drops Westwood and doesnt return Gabby and Richards and he is flying ;)

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, dn1982 said:

Rolling contracts are ideal all round for managers. At any time you've got 12 months left. If we sack him he gets 12 months pay which is the norm when getting rid I believe anyway. If you give a short term one it gives the wrong impression. The club is doing good stuff off the pitch now it's up to Bruce to sort it out on it!! 

O'Neill always had a rolling contract.

It makes a lot more sense just to pay a year off than continually giving managers 3 year deals and then sacking them after 6 months as in the case of our three previous managers.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dn1982 said:

Don't the 2nd teams have to follow the 1st teams ethos? Wagner is now the lead person at his club. He hasn't built a club which was what they were arguing about. 

No the original and only point I was responding to was that he has 40-odd games as a manager. He doesn't. He has nigh on 200.

Anyhoo I'm going off topic now ...

Â