Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

21 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I think he's been fortunate the previous management team bought Kodjia Without him we'd be where Blues are now.

Once again this may be true, but it's also "The cards you are dealt". VARIABLES

We could say RDM was lucky to have XIA as owner.

Barcelona are lucky to have Messi.

Leicester were lucky to have Vardy in the Champion winning season.

How do you know who we would, or we would not have signed did we not have Kodjia? What system we would be playing and with what personell?

We could also say we were lucky to get all those injuries as thats when our good run started.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

Sometimes this forum makes me want to bang my head against a wall.

People calling for Bruce to be sacked after a draw whilst still remaining 5 games unbeaten are, in my opinion, extremely delusional in where they see our club in the present day. People seem to think that Aston Villa have a divine right to be better than other teams in this league. We dont. We are where we are because of the way in which the club has been so poorly managed over the last 5 year period.

After last season, having to rebuild the entire club (not just team/squad), we are now in a much much better place than we have been in the last 5 years. Yes at times the football isn't pretty but its a work in progress and that's all we can ask for. Defensively we are now solid and not letting stupid errors go against us. We have a talisman up front of which we haven't seen since Benteke left. We have a manager who know's what is wrong with the team, he's already addressed some of our flaws in his first transfer window and now has a whole summer to build on this with a transfer window and pre season.

Next season we will have a pre season with a squad of players that the manager can actually call his team. We can start picking up points with a team that have played together and won together previously. We won't be losing our key player for ACON. We won't be losing a month worth of points from integrating new players into a squad.

Keep the faith guys.

• Like 2

IMO he should definitely stay. And his overall stats since joining are good.

The recent run has been terrific and you don't get that many points in so few games by luck.

And so what if we would struggle without Kodja. Newcastle without Gayle ? Chelsea without Costa ?

BUT..

I think he has one weakness.

He says we must keep the ball better, and mustn't rely on Kodja.

True, and reassuring that he knows it.

He bought good midfielders to back that up. Good again.

My issue with him has been, and is, that he sets up/ selects in an overly cautious way that inevitably reduces our chances of addressing the very faults he highlights.

I could choose any one of a number of games, but take the last home game as a simple quick example. Bacuna and Amavi selected ahead of for example Green and Hourihane.

Which are more likely to address those concerns referred to ?

I know there could be fitness reasons but there's plenty other examples.

At present he always chooses caution over risk. Defence over attack. Contain over assault.

Understandable given Our near terminal decline and lack of resilience. Understandable given his history.

But mistaken IMO. No massive shift needed but a shift in emphasis and we will be s real force.

Seen hints but look forward to more.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

You can tell some posters have been waiting a while for yesterday's result

Yep. It's sad, considering the state the club was in when Bruce took over. Maybe he should rename himself Sherwood in order to be praised.

• Like 1

It was nice to have hope, that making the play offs was a possible daydream, but the reality is, it is not that easy to win 15 games in a row.

After winning 7 out of 8 games, the fickle brigade are out in force after drawing, and want Bruce out, as if it is all the evidence they need that Bruce is crap.

Lets see how the rest of the season goes. If this is the beginning of a downturn in form for the rest of the season, then I will go out and buy a pitchfork and join the masses, wanting a new manager next season. However demanding Bruce be sacked after drawing a game? That just epitomises fickleness.

Not that many actually calling for his head at present. It's more of a concern, that apart from getting better results, there hasn't really been much genuine progress from a playing perspective. 

Fact is we've spent a lot of money, and now have a good squad. This should yield far better performances.

• Like 1

you would think we actually lost the game :lol:

I think people are underestimating Burton, they beat Huddersfield last week and lost narrowly to Newcastle in midweek

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Grasshopper said:

Keeping him is insanity

However, my opinion carries no creedence whatsoever as I have no proof either way

None of us really have any proof of anything we spend half our lives arguing about on here anyway. lol

• Like 1

Literally had the messages typed into the post box waiting to hit enter since the beginning of the winning run.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Thanks for the three year prediction, can you give me the next three years lottery numbers as well? 

Ok name me a better manager who has achieved as much as Bruce in this league should we get who is a better alternative? 

You see how weak your argument is, you have to spout a crack pot comment 

There is a reason Bruce is stuck in this league. Id take tactics Tim over him, sure whats to say he wouldnt get us promoted. Hed at least give it a go, wouldnt be settling for a draw against **** Burton

After having spent an absolute fortune in the last 2 transfer windows (and quite likely to spend a few £million more in the next one) and being probably the wealthiest club in the division this season and next does anyone feel that anything less than automatic promotion in 2017/2018 would be totally unacceptable?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, tom_avfc said:

When he took over we had 10 points from 11 games at 0.9 points a game.

Since then we've taken 48 points from 30 games at 1.6 points per game. If we'd picked up points at that rate all season we'd currently be on 66 points (3 points off the playoffs) and over a full season we'd get 74 (there or thereabouts for playoffs most seasons).

Given what he inherited, could he improve on this with a full pre season and a few quality additions? I'd argue yes he could and I don't really see any argument for getting rid of him at this point. 

Its just a shame we had a terrible January and February as a few more points there in some very winnable games could have made all the difference 

How much more quality additions does he need. There is plenty of reasons for him to go! 

The amount of points he got is glossed over by the recent streak a streak that came when there was nothing left to play for 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, astonaidan said:

The amount of points he got is glossed over by the recent streak a streak that came when there was nothing left to play for 

A streak that came when our most important player returned from international duty and our new January signings had settled into the team.

Our current form is title winning form, not only that, it's record points title winning form. If we continue this form to the end of the season we are in ridiculously good shape for next season, sacking Bruce, especially without giving him a pre-season, would be absolutely mental, just because we had some bad form that he has emphatically turned around.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

A streak that came when our most important player returned from international duty and our new January signings had settled into the team.

Our current form is title winning form, not only that, it's record points title winning form. If we continue this form to the end of the season we are in ridiculously good shape for next season, sacking Bruce, especially without giving him a pre-season, would be absolutely mental, just because we had some bad form that he has emphatically turned around.

Have a look at the actual stats and you will see it was a miracle we got that streak. Relying on Kodija to bail us out again and again what great tactics that was. Our new january signings have been bi passed for hoof ball. You are delusional if you think thats the sort of form we will show next year with Bruce. The type of football he has us playing is not sustainable at getting results

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, pacbuddies said:

After having spent an absolute fortune in the last 2 transfer windows (and quite likely to spend a few £million more in the next one) and being probably the wealthiest club in the division this season and next does anyone feel that anything less than automatic promotion in 2017/2018 would be totally unacceptable?

No it would/should not be acceptable.

• Like 1

Â