Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

15 minutes ago, TRO said:

To suggest Tim Sherwood in the short time he was with us is one of the reasons we were in this mess.....I would hope there are many more reasons in order to sensibly dilute the one.

Tim Sherwood and Remi Garde was mistakes......but they are not the reasons we entered the mess when we did.

It was many years is simply shockingly bad decision making by those who proclaimed to be knowing what they were doing.

I would suggest they were just amongst the cannon fodder.

Yes, he wasn't solely responsible, he should never have been appointed manager in the first place. It was obvious to most that a massive rebuild was required, to entrust that to a man who had never purchased a player let alone built a squad was the most ludicrous decision ever made. However, Once in place Sherwood made a pigs ear of preparing and integrating new players into a team. The start we made to his season pretty much doomed us, and we we had a relatively kind set of opening fixtures from memory.

Edited by NeilS
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Grasshopper said:

some people invent things to back up their delusions forgetting that google and Wikpedia are the the true Gods of truth & knowledge

The_The_-_Infected_CD_album_cover.jpg

on a side note, after reading some of the recent posts in this thread, it's evident that there is a section of the 'support' that will always have a negative impact on the atmosphere and in turn the mental state of the squad. That there are fans who are so vehemently against a manager that got a club which couldn't buy a win for the best part of a year to being able to not only win regularly but do so regardless of the performance is frankly ridiculous.

I'd prefer Villa Park to be half empty than have that attitude stinking out the place.

Edited by a m ole
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

Does he know how to improve this?

I would say so, yes.

but in my view, there has been that much to fix, its about personal opinion, that determines which things you focus on first. he has focussed on " Hard to beat"

you can't " boil the Ocean".........you have to fix things in increments.....especially how far we had fallen.

When he feels some of the things he has fixed.....stay fixed.He will move on to the next focussed repair.

patience is required.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, NeilS said:

Yes, he wasn't solely responsible, he should never have been appointed manager in the first place. It was obvious to most that a massive rebuild was required, to entrust that to a man who had never purchased a player let alone built a squad was the most ludicrous decision ever made. However, Once in place Sherwood made a pigs ear of preparing and integrating new players into a team. The start we made to his season pretty much doomed us, and we we had a relatively kind set of opening fixtures from memory.

It might be worth remembering, he had players bought for him, by a hierarchy who clearly seen him in a subordinate role.Had he had the present set up it might have been different.....but that's just hypothetical.

Look, its the past and its difficult to separate the individuals but it was a disaster, within an already well established bigger disaster that had matured sadly.

Thats why, this present set up has such a big job to turn around.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

Does he know how to improve this?

In fairness, he bought Lansbury and Hourihane who had a track record of energy, goals, and with Hourinhane, assists too. He also paid a lot for Hogan who we are yet to see the best of, so I would say very much so, yes.

I am not Bruces biggest fan, and if we get promoted I hope Tony looks for an upgrade once we settle (I am sure that's why he is on a rolling contract). But look around at what other choices are out there?? Get real, he ticks a lot of boxes for a club in our position.

And FWIW, Bruce is an experienced Manager, Tim is nowhere near an experienced manager. If I had to bet the Farm on one or the other to get us out of the Championship it was be Bruce every time, so for me that makes him a better manager. A nice chap I'm sure, but just rewatch that YT clip of Tim's touchline hand jesticulations to remind yourself what the man is about.

Edited by thunderball

1 hour ago, sheepyvillian said:

Are you serious ? Wigans demise started with the exit of Martinez , who vastly improved them after Bruce , as for Blues they went on to win there first trophy in years after the departure of Bruce . Your seriously suggesting the demise of those clubs is because Bruce left ? What a load of Kryptonite. 

Wigan 2008/2009 highest finish in prem league under Bruce. 

2009/2010 finished 7 places lower under Martinez, this what you mean?

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

If I want to divorce my wife can I not do that until I have found a new girlfriend.

What on earth? I don't give a shit about your wife! Or your girlfriend! What's that got to do with a new manager of avfc?

• Like 1

Martinez is flawed, and maybe his flaws are actually greater than Bruce's.

I think Martinez is a more savvy operator, looks and talks the part, but has been found out a few times too - his defensive frailties. 

I am no expert on Bruce's career, but I am not sure he has ever been "found out"?

1 minute ago, TRO said:

It might be worth remembering, he had players bought for him, by a hierarchy who clearly seen him in a subordinate role.Had he had the present set up it might have been different.....but that's just hypothetical.

Look, its the past and its difficult to separate the individuals but it was a disaster, within an already well established bigger disaster that had matured sadly.

Thats why, this present set up has such a big job to turn around.

Very true,  he was probably just the final nail in the coffin to be fair.

I agree with your point about patience. I know the football isn't currently pleasing on the eye, there are things that need to be improved. Maybe I am old fashioned, but I believe the first important block to put in place is making yourself hard to beat. For the first time in years, I think we have a bit of that about us.

We need to remember just how terrible we have been these last few years, with last season being the pinnacle of awfulness. We were so bad, that I never expected promotion this season.  The Club and Fans were broken in more than one way, and it was never going to be a case of flashing some cash and have us playing galactico football.

i said a few weeks back that Bruce needs to have us finish the season strongly to earn his shot at being here next season, since then things have improved. It looks like the solid foundation of being hard to beat is now in place. I expect him to build on this now, whether he will I do not know, but I think if this form continues to season end he has most definitely earned his shot at next season.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, astonaidan said:

How much closer are we since he took over?

I smell a Troll. 

You have come on here blatantly spouting a lot of highly inflammatory garbage purely to incite heated responses and generally piss people off and by your own admission you are not a follower of this great club. Anyone who supports this club knows when he arrived we were just 2 points off the relegation zone with just one win all season. Until yesterday we still had an outside chance of a play off spot after winning 7 in 8 games. But you apparently still think this is where we were when he took over? 

Why are you here? You are clearly not a supporter of this club. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, mykeyb said:

And the first goal we concede means we drop points, Norwich put 7 past the 3rd placed team an we get a dull draw against the minnows in the bottom 6 and still people think Bruce will get us promotion. As I said the other night we don't score enough goals under Bruce to get promotion........Not a chance in hell

Who's to say we could have scored 2 more......and conceded 2 more.

;)

Edited by TRO

12 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

Wigan 2008/2009 highest finish in prem league under Bruce. 

2009/2010 finished 7 places lower under Martinez, this what you mean?

No I mean a team that played a better brand of football ,and who won an FA cup.  He was hopeless at  Sunderland ,ask the fans. 

5 minutes ago, NeilS said:

Very true,  he was probably just the final nail in the coffin to be fair.

I agree with your point about patience. I know the football isn't currently pleasing on the eye, there are things that need to be improved. Maybe I am old fashioned, but I believe the first important block to put in place is making yourself hard to beat. For the first time in years, I think we have a bit of that about us.

We need to remember just how terrible we have been these last few years, with last season being the pinnacle of awfulness. We were so bad, that I never expected promotion this season.  The Club and Fans were broken in more than one way, and it was never going to be a case of flashing some cash and have us playing galactico football.

i said a few weeks back that Bruce needs to have us finish the season strongly to earn his shot at being here next season, since then things have improved. It looks like the solid foundation of being hard to beat is now in place. I expect him to build on this now, whether he will I do not know, but I think if this form continues to season end he has most definitely earned his shot at next season.

You cannot plant bulbs in the morning and have flowers in the afternoon......especially when the earth has been trashed for years.

you are quite right, just about every aspect of the club, was broken.

The fans who are complaining about the low level are football are not wrong, but any stretch of the imagination.

They in fact are deadly right.

where I refuse to join in with them is......This massive job will take time and your point "hard to beat" has been addressed first( quite rightly IMO)

Steve will fix this spectacle once he knows and can trust the hard to beat has been fixed and will be sustained.

He will fix the spectacle we are All unhappy with.....patience is the virtue.

Steve Bruce does not duck issues like some managers.....If it's not right, he admits it and says so.....but he deserves/ needs time to put every fire out.

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

No. You're jumping the gun. I was suggesting that if those clubs are where they are now, then maybe Bruce was overachieving by being where he had them? It's not difficult. I didn't once suggest that those clubs demise came about because he left them. But that doesn't fit into your anti-Bruce agenda. 

Ill put the question out there again, like I've put it out there many times and never really got a decent response. Who, realistically, can we attract who will do the job you want? 

This question is for all the people who want Bruce out because I genuinely want an answer that will make me think 'actually, yeah... he would do a better job than bruce'

David Wagner . Gary Monk , how about those two for starters? 

10 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

No I mean a team that played a better brand of football ,and who won an FA cup.  He was hopeless at  Sunderland ,ask the fans. 

a better brand of football that got them relegated and needing miracle recoveries every other season to stay up. I also believe Martinez good football was why they even lost 9-1 at Spurs

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

David Wagner . Gary Monk , how about those two for starters? 

Pretty sure they had clubs, and erm why are they going to do a better job then Bruce, I do love how these two managers get bought up time and again, but why? What have they achieved that Bruce hasn't? 

• Like 1

I've got to be honest i like Steve Bruce. In my opinion i feel he deserves a better club to work at and his experience warrants that. He did his time down SH and he got punished with some pretty shit owners but now he has his chance. He has a brilliant owner in the always positive minded Xia at a massive prestigious club like Aston Villa. He knows this league arguably better than anyone. I trust his decisions and accept that it may not always be pretty to watch... but this is championship football, what do you expect?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

Keeping him is insanity

However, my opinion carries no creedence whatsoever as I have no proof either way

My respect for your opinion just grew on you conceding that point. 

Â