Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

55 minutes ago, blandy said:

He was lied to / the "situation" changed. He'll know exactly how Remi Garde felt.

That is true of the January window but he knew what he was going into when he took the job, both in terms of budget and time to get people in.

17 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

That is true of the January window but he knew what he was going into when he took the job, both in terms of budget and time to get people in.

Moyes wasn't given the funds he was told he'd get.

2 minutes ago, blandy said:

Moyes wasn't given the funds he was told he'd get.

I can only assume you are basing this on stuff not in the public domain because the quotes that are support what I just posted, that he knew the situation in the summer but expected more backing in Jan. Or at least the ones I've seen do.

Anyway, we should get back on topic before a mod spots us!

• Like 2

It's definitely fair to have concerns, I'm still waiting for us to play well for 90 minutes this season. If we want to win the league next year we need to do it more often than not, so far 0 out of 41 played. Not a good percentage so far.

Radio comms said Burton were the better footballing side. Let that sink a minute, Clough has a football philosophy and (mostly) throughout his career in the lower leagues his teams have had an identity and a way of playing. His teams very often are more than the sum of their parts. Bruce needs to convince in that games remaining that he is capable of doing similar with this group. He will be backed in the summer no doubt but it shoudl be 3 or 4 with real quality, not another summer of signing a new team. For that to work we need some good foundations. Looks like Bruce has sorted out the back 4, but to do well next year the other 2/3rds of the pitch need sorting out too. Preferably with some solid showings with the pressure off in the next few weeks.

Bruce has to make sure we aren't as reliant on Kodjia next season, otherwise it's going to be a struggle. Our second highest scorer has 3 I think, just isn't enough. 

Edited by Farlz
  • Like 3

With the type of run we've been on results wise, I would have hoped that confidence would have been sky high and the team as a whole would have felt more like taking the game to the opposition. Even very defensive minded teams like West Brom under Pulis occasionally cut loose and score a few. However at no point have we looked like doing that. Yes we have had the odd 10 minutes spell here and there but at no point have we put a team to the sword. I've seen us win plenty of games 1-0 in my time and despite there only being a 1 goal advantage we've looked comfortable. This isn't the case with this team. 

I think it's fair to say in the last few home games I've watched, if the opposition had had a striker on fire like Kodjia they would have won comfortably. Set up to defend for 90 minutes and hope Kodjia scores isn't really a game plan that has any long term chance of success. We bought some apparently good midfielders in January, we need to start using them. Good sides are strong in defence and dominant in midfield. I assume SB would agree and has a plan to get the other half of the equation right?

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, romavillan said:

It's definitely fair to have concerns, I'm still waiting for us to play well for 90 minutes this season. If we want to win the league next year we need to do it more often than not, so far 0 out of 41 played. 

You're forgetting Rotherham at home :P

How long is Bruce going to take to get them playing like a team?

Surely he has had long enough by now for us to see some progress in that direction.

I think the remaining games are important in enabling the club management to assess him with a view to possibly getting someone else in before the summer.

I believe bruce will get us up but I am saddened to see bacuna start ahead of hourihane as I think Conor is a far far better player than bacuna will ever be .

He seemed to be settling into the side nicely in recent weeks and I see bacuna as a squad player at best .

Hourihane also has most assists in the league and yet in a team struggling to create a chance was sat on the bench  most  of the game.

Edited by Eastie

53 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Bruce has to get the team to be less reliant on kodjia, we were awful from an attacking sense when he went off.

one blocked Hutton shot only attempt on target 2nd half.

Indeed and yet the player with most assists in this league was sitting on the bench while the inept bacuna started ahead of him .

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Indeed and yet the player with most assists in this league was sitting on the bench while the inept bacuna started ahead of him .

Yeah was very strange having hourihane on the bench

9 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I went, and I certainly can't remember any difficulties. It's a while ago now, maybe my memory is faulty. 

2nd goal on half time killed them off but we got the third late on - easily our most comfortable game but same could be said by just about anyone who play Rotherham.

In any of our recent wins did we actually look like we were in control of the game. We have possibly the best squad in the league and on a winning streak but we still play with fear.  I hope Tony sees sense and puts a new man in charge for the start of the next season. Bruce had plenty of time to get the team playing football but his tactics is to get of jail with Kodja doing something amazing to win the game. Thats not **** enough. Once Kodja was off today, everyone knew we wouldnt win, this was noticeable when the AFCON was on, we **** over our whole season because our manager had us petrified. 

• Like 2

Â