Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

3 minutes ago, astonaidan said:

In any of our recent wins did we actually look like we were in control of the game. We have possibly the best squad in the league and on a winning streak but we still play with fear.  I hope Tony sees sense and puts a new man in charge for the start of the next season. Bruce had plenty of time to get the team playing football but his tactics is to get of jail with Kodja doing something amazing to win the game. Thats not **** enough. Once Kodja was off today, everyone knew we wouldnt win, this was noticeable when the AFCON was on, we **** over our whole season because our manager had us petrified. 

Your crazy if you think we should sack Bruce after our recent form. Who cares how we win as long as we are winning games. 1 defeat and 1 draw with 8 wins. Mental

and clean sheets in all the victories. What more do you want? Look at blose perfect example

Edited by Demitri_C
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Your crazy if you think we should sack Bruce after our recent form. Who cares how we win as long as we are winning games. 1 defeat and 1 draw with 8 wins. Mental

and clean sheets in all the victories. What more do you want? Look at blose perfect example

No Im not crazy, Bruce is a poor manager. He has shown that he cant win games without Kodja doing something by himself. His tactics are hoof it up to Kodja and hope he does something.

You are crazy if you think we should keep him. If you enjoy sitting there watching a team that had more money spent on that Barcelona/Madrid last season scraping a win while playing shit football good for you. I dont, this sure we won x amount of games means nothing when our season was finished at Christmas because Bruce and his negativity.

Bruce is whats wrong in English football, hes been shown to be a poor manager over and over but still keeps getting a go on the merry go round  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, astonaidan said:

No Im not crazy, Bruce is a poor manager. He has shown that he cant win games without Kodja doing something by himself. His tactics are hoof it up to Kodja and hope he does something

I think you are mate! You aware Chester scored a goal that won us a game? Hogan got on the score sheet as well vs Wigan. Yes kodjia has been our mr reliable buts it's a results business and Bruce us delivering on that

4 minutes ago, astonaidan said:

You are crazy if you think we should keep him. If you enjoy sitting there watching a team that had more money spent on that Barcelona/Madrid last season scraping a win while playing shit football good for you. I dont, this sure we won x amount of games means nothing when our season was finished at Christmas because Bruce and his negativity.

So would you rather play well like under di Matteo and lose or concede in last 10 mins? Give me play crap and win every day of the week. You can't say we have played crap every game. What team wins 8 of the last 10 and concedes 2 goals. That's a very good return so I won't accept it's been "scraping wins"

7 minutes ago, astonaidan said:

Bruce is whats wrong in English football, hes been shown to be a poor manager over and over but still keeps getting a go on the merry go round  

Bruce is what's wrong with football?? I dint get that comment at all. Keeping clean sheets, winning games? Bouncing back after terrible form? That's what's wrong with English football? 3 promotions says your point is absolutely absurd at this level. 

Just now, Demitri_C said:

I think you are mate! You aware Chester scored a goal that won us a game? Hogan got on the score sheet as well vs Wigan. Yes kodjia has been our mr reliable buts it's a results business and Bruce us delivering on that

So would you rather play well like under di Matteo and lose or concede in last 10 mins? Give me play crap and win every day of the week. You can't say we have played crap every game. What team wins 8 of the last 10 and concedes 2 goals. That's a very good return so I won't accept it's been "scraping wins"

Bruce is what's wrong with football?? I dint get that comment at all. Keeping clean sheets, winning games? Bouncing back after terrible form? That's what's wrong with English football? 3 promotions says your point is absolutely absurd at this level. 

4 promotions , soon to be 5 ;) 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, astonaidan said:

In any of our recent wins did we actually look like we were in control of the game. We have possibly the best squad in the league and on a winning streak but we still play with fear.  I hope Tony sees sense and puts a new man in charge for the start of the next season. Bruce had plenty of time to get the team playing football but his tactics is to get of jail with Kodja doing something amazing to win the game. Thats not **** enough. Once Kodja was off today, everyone knew we wouldnt win, this was noticeable when the AFCON was on, we **** over our whole season because our manager had us petrified. 

I largely agree with the sentiment of what you are saying, but our recent run has really removed any debate about whether Bruce deserves the chance to be here next season, because it is a results business at the end of the day.

I still have reservations about Bruce as a manager, but knowing he will be here next season makes it easier for the club to concentrate on the other problems that need to be sorted out for next season.

• Like 3

I posted this in the reaction thread. Today was a blip for sure, but we've not done too bad in recent weeks after recovering from that awful run. 

Bruce is going to be here next season beyond a doubt. As for today, I can almost imagine some posters enjoying the fact we haven't won so they can come on here and slag off a manager who has taken 22 points out of 27. 

Form table since Feb 24th

Yeah yeah, I know arbitrary date range, but we need something to smile about tonight! :)

Lets finish the season on a high!

Pos Team P   W D L GF GA   W D L GF GA   GD Pts
1 Aston Villa 9   5 0 0 8 0   2 1 1 5 2   11 22
2 Brighton and Hove Albion 9   4 0 1 11 3   2 0 2 4 6   6 18
3 Brentford 9   3 0 2 9 5   2 1 1 10 8   6 16
4 Wolverhampton Wanderers 8   3 0 0 5 1   2 1 2 7 7   4 16
5 Fulham 9   2 2 1 10 8   2 1 1 8 7   3 15
6 Newcastle United 9   2 1 1 6 6   2 2 1 6 4   2 15
7 Leeds United 8   3 1 0 6 0   1 1 2 4 5   5 14
8 Derby County 9   3 1 0 8 4   1 1 3 4 8   0 14
9 Reading 8   3 1 0 6 2   1 0 3 3 13   -6 13
10 Preston North End 8   3 1 0 11 2   0 2 2 4 9   4 12

• Like 2

In answer to some of the criticisms on here about our play.

I am a bit surprised with the introduction of Lansbury and Hourihane that our ability to keep the ball is not better than it is......I guess we still have work to do.

The midfield for me still looks a bit imbalanced offensively. I hope he works on this for the rest of the season and pre-season.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, astonaidan said:

You are crazy if you think we should keep him. If you enjoy sitting there watching a team that had more money spent on that Barcelona/Madrid last season scraping a win while playing shit football good for you.  

When context and common sense goes out the window just to suit an agenda.

Does anyone know where we have hidden all the Galacticos and Messis within our squad to have to not spend this money? OUTRAGE!

:crylaugh:

• Like 1

Steve Bruce has openly agreed that ball retention is an issue and that he wants to see us improve in that area.

Its obvious its not by design and more a fault.

I will be amazed if that is not worked on and fixed for next season.

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

Steve Bruce has openly agreed that ball retention is an issue and that he wants to see us improve in that area.

Its obvious its not by design and more a fault.

I will be amazed if that is not worked on and fixed for next season.

He's also almost certainly just as aware of and concerned by our over-reliance on Kodjia. Those are the two priorities to fix for next season.

• Like 3

I think Steve Bruce will be our manager next season and his track record, even as recently as last season, should fill us all with confidence. However his time here does raise some questions for me. Primarily I would say that his style of play and the performances have been pretty consistent. However the results have been far from it. I don't want to return to the possession debate, I'm talking about the overall play and set up when I'm looking at the performances. So why have we had great runs of results and terrible runs of results despite playing pretty much the same every match?

The only real explanation I can come up with is the Kodjia factor.  Which is a concern, in that no striker maintains that form, or stays fit, for an entire season. He's got teams promoted four times in the past, so he must know how to do it, right? He is still the safest pair of hands and I can't realistically think of anyone else who could walk in and guarantee promotion. However we do need a plan B and probably plans C and D. 

26 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I think Steve Bruce will be our manager next season and his track record, even as recently as last season, should fill us all with confidence. However his time here does raise some questions for me. Primarily I would say that his style of play and the performances have been pretty consistent. However the results have been far from it. I don't want to return to the possession debate, I'm talking about the overall play and set up when I'm looking at the performances. So why have we had great runs of results and terrible runs of results despite playing pretty much the same every match?

The only real explanation I can come up with is the Kodjia factor.  Which is a concern, in that no striker maintains that form, or stays fit, for an entire season. He's got teams promoted four times in the past, so he must know how to do it, right? He is still the safest pair of hands and I can't realistically think of anyone else who could walk in and guarantee promotion. However we do need a plan B and probably plans C and D. 

There is also the Jedinak factor......we have won very few games without him.

• Like 3

I've been critical of the way we've played during this run of results; i don't think we've been good enough. I think we're a work in progress and I'm behind this manager in his attempts to find a way to make that work. I think  we've changed manager enough, this one is capable of getting it right, we just need some time and some sort of mental breakthrough in the players - I think at some point, something will happen and everything will click off it - that could be a new players, a formation, one good game, I'm not sure, but I have a feeling it's out there.

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

I've been critical of the way we've played during this run of results; i don't think we've been good enough. I think we're a work in progress and I'm behind this manager in his attempts to find a way to make that work. I think  we've changed manager enough, this one is capable of getting it right, we just need some time and some sort of mental breakthrough in the players - I think at some point, something will happen and everything will click off it - that could be a new players, a formation, one good game, I'm not sure, but I have a feeling it's out there.

The important part of having the confidence we can get results, the "brotherhood" and connection between players, and fans etc has been 90 percent complete I feel.

The next step is turning on style, basically in the manner you have explained.

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

When context and common sense goes out the window just to suit an agenda.

Does anyone know where we have hidden all the Galacticos and Messis within our squad to have to not spend this money? OUTRAGE!

:crylaugh:

You realise when you spend what 60million in the championship that should be enough to build you a team capable of getting out of the championship. If you enjoy buying all the best players in the league then playing like a team avoiding relegation fair play to you. I dont 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, poitier said:

I largely agree with the sentiment of what you are saying, but our recent run has really removed any debate about whether Bruce deserves the chance to be here next season, because it is a results business at the end of the day.

I still have reservations about Bruce as a manager, but knowing he will be here next season makes it easier for the club to concentrate on the other problems that need to be sorted out for next season.

Why though, anyone that watches football will see that while we were scraping results, we were scraping results!  We cant ignore the fact we have a squad capable of better as these players have shown at previous clubs

Â