Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

12 hours ago, AshVilla said:

Were no better than when Lerner was chairman.

Yes we have spent tons of money but what was the point?

We will never see them reach their full potential or get the best out of them with Bruce.

Considering his job is safe even if we get relegated he may as well go on holiday for the rest of the season and leave Calderwood in charge.

No better than Lerner? Are you having a laugh?

xia has been fantastic for this club. We just haven't seen the benefits yet

• Like 1

6 hours ago, striker said:

So Bruce is still going to be manager even if Villa are relegated?

I wonder how many other clubs would have made a statement like that? Just incredible.

We will not be relegated or even close to it - I still feel we will finish nearer the top 10 than bottom 6 

Long read but the wyness transcripts here 

There is absolutely no question that we are sticking with Steve. We’ve been really happy with the way he’s shaking things up at Bodymoor. The way he’s trying to get out of this rut shows the character of the man.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-ceo-keith-wyness-12655270

Go on Steve. You won't prove me wrong by going the rest of the season unbeaten.. 

Also, after last season, how did we only just break that 5 L's in a row record?! I thought all those records had been taken.. 

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

No better than Lerner? Are you having a laugh?

xia has been fantastic for this club. We just haven't seen the benefits yet

There's not much difference to the early Lerner years aside from we actually had an enjoyable first season (plus a few that folllowed). We also didn't look like relegation material in his first year and the initial managerial appointment lasted longer than eleven games.

I imagine more people renewed their season ticket during that first year and that there was a decent uptake of new holders. I don't remember there being any disenchantment amongst supporters with people feeling the club didn't care much for them (as per comments in the ST holder thread). 

We are, however, seeing rampant spending and rising wages. We are seeing money being wasted, too much money being paid to shit players, wastage on removing managers and their backroom staff, and the concern that £40m of parachute payments "don't cover half" of the wage bill.

How this all unfolds remains to be seen, but I don't see it as being "fantastic" at all. And there's no guarantee we will see any benefits, we might see absolute carnage when the house of cards collapses and we are in League One with a Premier League wage bill. 

7 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Maybe were just not good enough. Maybe the recent signings are not has good as we thought they were ,hence it doesn't matter who is managing us . Maybe ,and as hard as it is to accept, we're just doomed. 

maybe but since we spent about 20 odd million on them probably more than anybody in this league. if thats the case then somebody has to be accountable and sacked

1 hour ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

There's not much difference to the early Lerner years aside from we actually had an enjoyable first season (plus a few that folllowed). We also didn't look like relegation material in his first year and the initial managerial appointment lasted longer than eleven games.

I imagine more people renewed their season ticket during that first year and that there was a decent uptake of new holders. I don't remember there being any disenchantment amongst supporters with people feeling the club didn't care much for them (as per comments in the ST holder thread). 

We are, however, seeing rampant spending and rising wages. We are seeing money being wasted, too much money being paid to shit players, wastage on removing managers and their backroom staff, and the concern that £40m of parachute payments "don't cover half" of the wage bill.

How this all unfolds remains to be seen, but I don't see it as being "fantastic" at all. And there's no guarantee we will see any benefits, we might see absolute carnage when the house of cards collapses and we are in League One with a Premier League wage bill. 

Yes but when Lerner came we did have issues with o leary and Ellis but not the kind of mess Lerner left us in.

It's a big mess and I think it's unfair to say Xia had been no better than Lerner.  If the guy a chance he has been here less than a year

So there's literally not a chance in hell he'll be sacked even if we lose today. Bummer. I don't expect things to turn around, and another relegation seems inevitable.

Hope somebody is able to enjoy this abysmal 'football' Bruce is making us endure. Sadly I can't anymore. 

Really looking forward to another post match "batten the hacketts" rallying cry :rolleyes:

1 minute ago, Tommo_b said:

You did? At what point? When we scrapped a win against Bournemouth on day1? 

until about half to 2/3 of the way through the season, I was one of the "we're Aston Villa, we wont go down" brigade. Problem is, on the pitch, we really haven't improved, and unless we do, we will go down again. 

1 hour ago, terrytini said:

Wow there are some weird and wonderful reasons why we are losing matches !!

I wonder if every other club has some many theories !!

Heres one. The team are being poorly managed.

Thats all there is to it.

It isn't though. Yes the team is clearly poorly managed but there are other factors in play. I know it's comforting to think that it's all the manager and that if we just change (yet again) everything will be fine but sadly I don't think that's the case.

I'm not even against getting rid of Bruce by the way, but I expect whoever we get will probably find themselves making the same mistakes and playing the same shit football Bruce has. That's how it always ends up.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mantis said:

It isn't though. Yes the team is clearly poorly managed but there are other factors in play. I know it's comforting to think that it's all the manager and that if we just change (yet again) everything will be fine but sadly I don't think that's the case.

I'm not even against getting rid of Bruce by the way, but I expect whoever we get will probably find themselves making the same mistakes and playing the same shit football Bruce has. That's how it always ends up.

It won't be shit forever. There'll be good times again. Whether they arrive through Bruce or some other manager, the wins will come. One day.

• Like 1

Just now, Frobisher said:

It won't be shit forever. There'll be good times again. Whether they arrive through Bruce or some other manager, the wins will come. One day.

I never said things would be shit forever. Of course they won't.

5 hours ago, Eastie said:

We will not be relegated or even close to it - I still feel we will finish nearer the top 10 than bottom 6 

Whether Villa are relegated or not wasn't really my point. It's the condoning of and poor form Villa are in at the moment which may lead to that eventuality. It's basically saying to the manager carry on with the awful results and we will still keep you in a job no matter what happens by the end of the season. That's why I find so incredible that a board member would come out and say that.

Whats that also saying to the players? No matter the results the manager will be kept on and so will we because the manager signed us? It's sending completely the wrong message.

When Bruce became manager what was his original remit? Promotion this season but if you fail to do that then mid table obscurity in the Championship or worse is fine? I don't think so.

How is that going to change the defeatist mentality at the club when obscurity in the Championship has become acceptable after spending millions on players?

Maybe those employed by Xia don't want to admit to their boss that they may have gotten the appointment wrong?

Bruce must be having a real chuckle to himself at the moment. Nice retirement home.

Edited by striker

Â