Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

None of our other managers from the last ten years including O'Neill would have kept us up under the same constraints that Lambert faced, and yet he did keep us up, even when he was sacked we were only in the relegation zone on goal difference with twelve (might have been more) games left to play, we would have stayed up that season regardless if he'd have stayed or not because of Benteke coming back from injury and returning to match fitness. Also if Lambert had have stayed and been given the money that was given to Sherwood, we wouldn't have been relegated the following season. Everything fell apart the moment Lambert left, the following season we were relegated as one of the worst teams ever.

His mistakes since has been to be not very good at choosing which clubs to manage, Blackburn we know how difficult their owners can be, but to be fair he actually kept them in the championship, and they wanted him to stay, they were relegated after he left, at Wolves they were a complete mess when he was made their manager, and all he could really do was steady the ship, Stoke is one that seems like he made a real mess of, but even then when you looked at how they performed in the championship, it makes one think that maybe there was more going on there, couldn't really do much with Ipswich this year, they'd sold all their best players in the summer, and their fans are happy with Lambert and blame Mick McCarthy for their relegation.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

no I dont believe that, Lambert insisted on removing the senior players and as Bannan said recently he never gave them a reason why. Lambert had one lucky spell at Norwich in a near 15 year managerial career, it was a glitch

as for the bomb squad it was as farcical as it got, drop Hutton for 2 years and send him on loan 3 times. Returns and plays 6 games and gets a new 4 year deal. Shay Given dropped from squad then loaned out, recalls him and makes him assistant manager. Was making it up as he was going along

It's obvious that was all Lerner, come on. He wanted to get all the high earners off the books by any means necessary.

• Like 1

My post MON ranking would probably be...

Smith

Bruce
Houllier
Lambert

McLeish

Di Matteo

Garde

Black

Sherwood

• Haha 2

What an absolute pile of crap that list is. no wonder we've been failing miserably for years.

Half of them are not even managers, just people who work around football.

Only Houllier has any pedigree as a manager and that time was long gone when he came here, was retired ffs.

7 hours ago, Keyblade said:

It's obvious that was all Lerner, come on. He wanted to get all the high earners off the books by any means necessary.

You can still face up to the players and earn the respect of them and the group. To just bomb them out no talk other than "next season you will be in that dressing room" is as weak as it gets.

Gutless in fact. Weak management and players see right through it.

3 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

You can still face up to the players and earn the respect of them and the group. To just bomb them out no talk other than "next season you will be in that dressing room" is as weak as it gets.

Gutless in fact. Weak management and players see right through it.

Yeah he handled it very poorly. Shouldn't have even been in that position though, it was an absolute farce.

22 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Smith

Bruce
Houllier
Lambert

McLeish

Di Matteo

Garde

Black

Sherwood

I didn’t like sherwood but he did put some impressive wins together. I’d put him over Mccleish black. I think garde was absolutely screwed by Lerner so it’s hard to judge him.

i agree with your top four order. I don’t know why bruce is so hated he has been the second best out of all those . I would have o neill as second and Bruce third if he was included

13 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I didn’t like sherwood but he did put some impressive wins together. I’d put him over Mccleish black. I think garde was absolutely screwed by Lerner so it’s hard to judge him.

i agree with your top four order. I don’t know why bruce is so hated he has been the second best out of all those . I would have o neill as second and Bruce third if he was included

I think because of his horrible approach to the game - his attitude to his own public and his ' your lucky to have me ' mentality did nothing  exactly to  endear him to the paying faithful would be a start ?

14 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I also believe Lambert was well and truly screwed over by the club 

On 03/07/2019 at 08:11, Stevo985 said:

Smith

Bruce

Houllier

Lambert

McLeish

Di Matteo

Garde

Black

Sherwood

Go on then, let's have a go. CBA with the spacing though.

Smith

Lambert

Houllier

Bruce

Di Matteo

McLeish

Garde

Sherwood

Black

Garde hard done by there, we'd never have gone down if they'd have sacked Tim that Summer and put him in.

11 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Garde hard done by there, we'd never have gone down if they'd have sacked Tim that Summer and put him in.

Yep. I've always said Garde may very well be a terrible manager. And his career since may suggest he hasn't got much about him.

BUT I think it's harsh to judge him on his time here. Pep Guaradiola wouldn't have kept us up after the damage Sherwood did. It was literally an impossible job.

For Me it's:

Smith (No explanation needed)

Houllier (could have taken us forward had it not been for his heart)

Bruce (reignited my passion for villa after so many years of shit had extinguished it)

Garde (as other have said has he started the season we'd probably not gone down as he wouldn't have signed the players that poisoned the barrel)

McLeish (got exactly what you new you'd get from him and if my memory serves me right we never dropped into the relegation zone with him)

Sherwood (would be joint bottom without the FA Cup Final)

Lambert (finally killed off my passion for Villa)

RDM (spent a fortune and had us scrapping at the wrong end of the championship)

Black (took charge when we were already down but unlike when Darren Moore took over West Brom in a similar situation didn't even try to go down with a little bit of pride which is unforgivable)

Edited by Stuartc445
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Stuartc445 said:

For Me it's:

McLeish (got exactly what you new you'd get from him and if my memory serves me right we never dropped into the relegation zone with him)

We were doing OK, on for a top 10 position except he got a horror injury list that season. Dunne, Bent, Given, Gabby, Delph then he also had the Petrov news as well. Not that McLeish would have taken us places but think gets a bit of a bad rep. We had to rely a lot on our youth team that season

• Like 1

13 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

I'd have Garde at the bottom (Black aside). Sherwood actually acheived something. Garde just sat there, didn't give a shit, and took his wages while shrugging his shoulders.

Yep. Relegation and the start of a downward spiral that we were barely rescued from.

He's one of the biggest reasons we've spent the last 3 seasons in the Championship.

There's people in here saying that Bruce's good points don't count because of how he left us. Well if we use that logic then Sherwood's FA Cup semi final win certainly counts for nothing because he left us far worse than any other manager has left us for decades.

I'll stand by what I usually say. Sherwood is the worst manager Aston Villa have had in my lifetime. He's a total fraud.

• Like 4

I think Sherwood gets too much credit for relegating us. He was gone by Halloween and managed 10 league games that season. We lost 8 of them but we were in every game except the Chelsea game

the bad defeats and performances only started when he left

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yep. Relegation and the start of a downward spiral that we were barely rescued from.

He's one of the biggest reasons we've spent the last 3 seasons in the Championship.

There's people in here saying that Bruce's good points don't count because of how he left us. Well if we use that logic then Sherwood's FA Cup semi final win certainly counts for nothing because he left us far worse than any other manager has left us for decades.

I'll stand by what I usually say. Sherwood is the worst manager Aston Villa have had in my lifetime. He's a total fraud.

He also kept us up. And it turns out the majority of his signings that summer were pretty solid, they mostly play at the top level. I don't think he was a good manager, far from it.

As for Bruce, I'm not one of those that say his good points don't count. We were in the bottom 3 when TS took over, and we stopped up. To me, that's an achievement. He also lost Benteke, which was completely out of control. Then the signings of the likes of Adama, Amavi, Veretout, Gana and Ayew - it's not like he threw the money away. Yes, some might say Adama is useless, but the fact is he moved for a decent fee and plays in the Premier League still. I personally think Amavi is one of the worst performers I've seen at the club (in the Championship, no less), but he still plays at the top level.

Sherwood is a poor manager, I don't argue that, and he's one of the worst managers in my life time. The main reason for that being he got nothing out of the squad, which had a bunch of talented players. But Garde didn't either.

14 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Yep. I've always said Garde may very well be a terrible manager. And his career since may suggest he hasn't got much about him.

BUT I think it's harsh to judge him on his time here. Pep Guaradiola wouldn't have kept us up after the damage Sherwood did. It was literally an impossible job.

dunno, I think footballers being the petals they are and taking any chance to shirk they take (I personally believe the EL sunday game performance drop off thing is a mental weakness, cruising with the excuse in their back pocket) they knew the knives were out for lerner and garde and threw the pair of them under the bus, you can argue that Sherwood bought the likes of Richards in and let players get away with murder but I think the thing that sent us down was the apathy and the finger of blame for that goes to lerner

agree we were going down no matter who we had

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Sherwood left us a central defence of Richards and Lescott, and relying on Gestede to score enough goals to replace Benteke. We were doomed when the transfer window shut at the end of August. There was no recovering from that start!

• Like 2

Â