Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

29 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I mean, I’m not sure you could have missed the point more if you tried :D

nice strawman though  

:D It’s not that I missed the point, I was barely even paying attention to the discussion :lol: I just saw that you’d commented on the credit, or lack of, that Bruce gets.

I honestly haven’t seen it anywhere, where he doesn’t get credit for his good signings.

9 hours ago, Rob182 said:

:D It’s not that I missed the point, I was barely even paying attention to the discussion :lol: I just saw that you’d commented on the credit, or lack of, that Bruce gets.

I honestly haven’t seen it anywhere, where he doesn’t get credit for his good signings.

It happens a lot. For certain posters there's always an excuse. And I wasn't just talking about signings. Like I said if you read this thread you'd think we scraped survival on the last day. The good results or performances or signings or attributes that Bruce brought are explained away.

You'd think he was the worst manager in the world at times if you took this thread as evidence of his reign.

36 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It happens a lot. For certain posters there's always an excuse. And I wasn't just talking about signings. Like I said if you read this thread you'd think we scraped survival on the last day. The good results or performances or signings or attributes that Bruce brought are explained away.

You'd think he was the worst manager in the world at times if you took this thread as evidence of his reign.

If someone is talking about how Bruce failed at AVFC (which he did), then I doubt they're going to be waxing lyrical about the good signings or unbeaten runs.

While I sit here thinking about his time with us, I'm more drawn to the negative, just because those things are the reason he got the boot (or, the cabbage).

That doesn't mean that he isn't credited with good signings or good spells, but it just means that they're mentioned as more of a footnote as opposed to the main talking point. If you were to go in the McGinn or Hourihane threads, among the talk of great goals or games, there will be posts praising Bruce for the signing.

This notion that he gets blamed for the bad signings and also doesn't get credit for the good signings, is just false, in my opinion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

If someone is talking about how Bruce failed at AVFC (which he did), then I doubt they're going to be waxing lyrical about the good signings or unbeaten runs.

While I sit here thinking about his time with us, I'm more drawn to the negative, just because those things are the reason he got the boot (or, the cabbage).

That doesn't mean that he isn't credited with good signings or good spells, but it just means that they're mentioned as more of a footnote as opposed to the main talking point. If you were to go in the McGinn or Hourihane threads, among the talk of great goals or games, there will be posts praising Bruce for the signing.

This notion that he gets blamed for the bad signings and also doesn't get credit for the good signings, is just false, in my opinion.

If you say so.

I think it's pretty obvious the usual posters explain away the good stuff and exaggerate the bad stuff. Sometimes that includes signings.

24 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

If you say so.

I think it's pretty obvious the usual posters explain away the good stuff and exaggerate the bad stuff. Sometimes that includes signings.

The hilarious bit is when those same posters then go ‘who, me? No never!’ as if it’s news to them.

15 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

If you say so.

What's that saying - don't let the truth get in the way of a good story??

14 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

The hilarious bit is when those same posters then go ‘who, me? No never!’ as if it’s news to them.

Really? You'll be telling us soon - you want him back.

is it really that hard to acknowledge he failed whilst holding a decent hand?

The guy did an average job - no more or less.

• 2 weeks later...

I find it baffling how people keep putting him down and basically insulting him. He’s human like the rest of us. He also had terrible personal problems last year ffs . Did he fail? Of course he did, but he was close. Personally I think he’ll have Wednesday in the play offs next season and good luck to em’ .

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Did you forget him insulting the fans...on multiple occasions, because he couldn't handle warranted criticism? The gloves are off after that. **** em.

Don't even know why we're still talking about him. Dean Smith made him completely irrelevant. Did in 8 months and 1 January window what he couldn't in 2 years and 4 windows with unrivaled resources.

I remember yes . As a whole I thought we were pretty patient with him, although it’s obvious he wasn’t pulling the fans in like he should have. I just think it’s time to stop talking about him as you say. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Blokes a nob. I can also sympathise with his personal problems. Two separate things. 

Can you imagine the strain then of managing a club like ourselves and also dealing with the death of your parents in quick succession .

1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I find it baffling how people keep putting him down and basically insulting him. He’s human like the rest of us. He also had terrible personal problems last year ffs . Did he fail? Of course he did, but he was close. Personally I think he’ll have Wednesday in the play offs next season and good luck to em’ .

I find it baffling how people still defend him. Guess they went so over the top when he was here, they almost have to now. 

He failed and a lot of us knew he would early on. I've said previously but if Smith had not performed miracles then the damage steve bruce would have done to us would be huge. 

• Like 1

I seem to remember a fair few of us on here saying Smith wasn’t up to it after that 13 game winless run??? Or something like that. I’m not defending Bruce . At the end of the day he’s long gone and we are where we wanted to be. Just don’t get the continued bitching and insults. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

I find it baffling how people still defend him. Guess they went so over the top when he was here, they almost have to now. 

He failed and a lot of us knew he would early on. I've said previously but if Smith had not performed miracles then the damage steve bruce would have done to us would be huge. 

Not in everything he did, but we defend him against suggestions he did nothing right.

The irony is, Dean Smith and  Christian Purslow are amongst those who have defended him, I guess they see the bigger picture.....In fact Dean Smith made the observation straight after the final that the 2 scorers was Steve Bruce Signings.

considering Purslow Sacked him he paid tribute to the circumstances he had to work under during last Summer.

Look, I am glad Dean Smith is with us and his humility is an absolute god send, epitomised by the above comments......but its not just some of the fans that defend him club staff do too......but its everyone's own personal view.....you either appreciate some of his work or you don't.

Edited by TRO

28 minutes ago, TRO said:

Not in everything he did, but we defend him against suggestions he did nothing right.

The irony is, Dean Smith and  Christian Purslow are amongst those who have defended him, I guess they see the bigger picture.....In fact Dean Smith made the observation straight after the final that the 2 scorers was Steve Bruce Signings.

considering Purslow Sacked him he paid tribute to the circumstances he had to work under during last Summer.

Look, I am glad Dean Smith is with us and his humility is an absolute god send, epitomised by the above comments......but its not just some of the fans that defend him club staff do too......but its everyone's own personal view.....you either appreciate some of his work or you don't.

I saw him say that, and honestly I just thought he was being diplomatic, and doing that thing where managers generally talk up other managers because it’s the professional thing to do.

We could mention all of the ex-pros that thought that Bruce should never have lost his job, and that he was the best man to take Villa up, but all those people ended up looking pretty foolish.

Without calling out Bruce directly, Smith did make comments during the season about only having 1 fit centre back and him being on loan to Hull (or something like that), which everyone knew was Bruce’s fault, and I think that’s about as close as Smith has ever come to criticising him.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kurtsimonw said:

Smith will fail. He's a football manager, they almost all inevitably do. Doesn't make you some sort of genius.

I don't think you needed to be a genius to see Steve Bruce wasn't going to be a success here. 

• Like 2

Â