Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

39 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

Maybe - I certainly hope that’s true because I thought (penalty save aside) it was one of the worst debuts I’ve witnessed 

What did he not do well?

worst debut of all time must be Woodgate for Real Madrid.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

first time since 1962 we won the opening 3 games, how amazing is that...

that year we went on to lose a record 11 games on the trot and lost the league cup final to the Shits

and they wonder why villa fans are dour 

corrected for you ??

Winning manager recognises flaws and says he wants to improve.

I mean, I get some folks are not impressed by Bruce's style of play, I want it to get better as well, but its not like he went into a paul lambert style deluded victory lap. Also with Aston Villa by no means was tonight's win certain, god knows we have proven we are well capable of losing to this kind of opposition in recent years.

Maybe my expectations have just been worn down by the relentless crap we have endured for the best part of a decade but I am taking the positives from tonight.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Not sustainable. 

This is the nail on the head for me. People can point to 3 wins but they have all been poor performances.

Over a 46 game season we will get found out too many times, and it will cost us promotion.   Nothing has changed since last season. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, vreitti said:

I dread the upcoming home fixture against Brentford. Keep playing like we do, they will annihilate us.

On this form 3-0 Brentford, an the usual suspects saying how much we should have poached Dean, under no pressure at all, Smith.

Thing is you can say if continues like this Bruce will be out by Christmas, however I put it to you that it made no difference last season how we played, he kept his job and finished 4th, so I’m actually expecting him to last the season again as he will still manage to have us in the top 6 all season regardless of “style”

3 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Has he not improved us since he got here? I mean the negatives get listed every day but he now has the best win rate of any aston villa manager since George Ramsay.

I know its unfashionable but I think that counts for something , no?

It’s a hard one isn’t it as you wonder if a different manager was in charge, say for this comparison it was Biesla, would that manager have also achieved the best win rate since Ramsey? Is it because of Bruce or because of other factors?

Grass is always greener and all that.

i think he's stopped the rot, perhaps not completely by himself but he's increased professionalism off the pitch and should be applauded for that

he's made us very good at home too but then if you're suggesting its the away results that are dragging us down its very much bruce's negative cautious approach that has caused that so thats rough with the smooth

i think we have a good squad that should be doing better, it could be made better but we dont use the squad well enough, we dont use youth well enough and not completely bruces fault but we still have a flawed scouting system which has lead to holes

i still think for everything we have had going on while he's been here the biggest disappointment for me is that warnock got a far inferior cardiff team playing better than us promoted, thats a massive black mark against bruce

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

It has.  I actually think we look worse.

Last season I was happy to defend him when we were winning.  It wasn't beautiful, but it was effective and for the most part we didn't really look troubled by most teams.

This season, it's very much seat of the pants stuff so far.  We could have easily lost all 3 games.

Same here.

I'm going to see where we are in October before I call for his head. Hoping this is just a hangover from the play off final and the turbulent summer.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

It’s a hard one isn’t it as you wonder if a different manager was in charge, say for this comparison it was Biesla, would that manager have also achieved the best win rate since Ramsey? Is it because of Bruce or because of other factors?

Grass is always greener and all that.

I am out of likes but yeah I agree. Now dont get me wrong I really dont care for Bruce's play style in general. In my dream world he will wake up tomorrow and become a short pass possession based manager but he is an effective manager overall (off and on the pitch). I just think when we criticise him (and we should if we don't like what we see) we should also recognise his record and that he is worthy of our respect.

He is not a dinosaur Mick McCarthy style hoofball merchant or a clown like Ian holloway or deluded like Paul Lambert. I just think that and his record needs pointing out occasionally is all. 

3 minutes ago, Dick said:

Same here.

I'm going to see where we are in October before I call for his head. Hoping this is just a hangover from the play off final and the turbulent summer.

Not holding my breath honestly. What really is going to change that couldn't have been changed on 2 years? 

P3 W3

Ipswich up next and they are shite, by 5pm Saturday we will be on 9 points from 3 games, best start for decades and people will still moan because it isn't pretty or we will get beat at some point playing like this... Everyone gets beat sometimes no matter who they are or how they play.

People going mad about Bielsa after 3 games? Leeds had good players last year, It is 99% the same team. Hell they were top of the league & unbeaten after 7 games and were still actually top after 9 games. (7 games into the season they were actually 11 points clear of us) They were playing reasonably well until it went a bit wrong after xmas & they decided to appoint Heckinbottom who managed 4 wins from the last 16 games. When he took over they were 7 points off the play-offs with 16 games to play

Edited by LakotaDakota

15 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Not holding my breath honestly. What really is going to change that couldn't have been changed on 2 years? 

It's mainly because I'm fed up of being jumped on for not supporting Bruce. And also the fact that it seems to be wrong to criticise him in any way at all. So I feel October is a good time period to see where we are. I'd rather he changes things and we start winning games a little easier. This has more than one benefit; 1) Players don't overwork and so are less tired, 2) It is easier to keep winning games when in charge, rather than just with occasional luck and 3) it puts fear into other teams, leading nicely back to 1.

So I'll give him time after the summer. But if we look no better in October, that'll be two years and little progression. Time up.

• Like 1

Â