Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

Although we have 6 points we all if know if the performances don’t massively improve we will have a real rude awakening during that hard run of games in the winter.  It’s the kind of run that could have losing several games in a row and Bruce getting the chop.

As everybody keeps saying (including me ) we are 2, 3 players short of being the real deal. Weaknesses and squad dept in certain areas is too apparent. Bruce knows this and the clock is ticking. 

As for yesterday, it was very poor. But it was also 10 changes from the game before. I wouldn’t read too much in to it. Also it’s not really one you can use to beat Bruce up with in my opinion. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Although we have 6 points we all if know if the performances don’t massively improve we will have a real rude awakening during that hard run of games in the winter.  It’s the kind of run that could have losing several games in a row and Bruce getting the chop.

As everybody keeps saying (including me ) we are 2, 3 players short of being the real deal. Weaknesses and squad dept in certain areas is too apparent. Bruce knows this and the clock is ticking. 

As for yesterday, it was very poor. But it was also 10 changes from the game before. I wouldn’t read too much in to it. Also it’s not really one you can use to beat Bruce up with in my opinion. 

I'm not that worried about the "harder" games, last season proved (bar the Play off final) that our players up their game against the better teams, it's the games against the likes of Wigan we struggle, and that's down to the manager and coaching staff to get them ready/hyped to play Rotherham away as well as West Brom at home. 

QPR after the Wolves game last season is a perfect example and I blame Bruce and no one else for it.

Edited by Hoof hearted
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Far too many people just looking at the results and the 3 from 3 and assuming everything is okay. Unfortunately performances are a much better indicator of future results and the performances against Wigan and to a lesser extent Yeovil have to leave you worried about our promotion chances. So far I think we look like a team that will finish 3rd - 6th which, again, is not good enough. With the FFP issues and Grealish certain to leave if we don't get promoted we need to get to the top of the table and stay there all season.  

2 minutes ago, Hoof hearted said:

I'm not that worried about the "harder" games, last season proved (bar the Play off final) that our players up their game against the better teams, it's the games against the likes of Wigan we struggle, and that's down to the manager and coaching staff to get them ready/hyped to play Rotherham away as well as West Brom at home. 

QPR after the Wolves game last season is a perfect example and I blame Bruce and no one else for it.

We were able to up our game at home but got schooled away to Wolves, Cardiff, Fulham, Derby and Brentford. 

I know what you mean though. We never knew which Villa was going to turn up. Whenever it felt like we were unbeatable a QPR and Norwich type performance followed.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

I want Bruce to succeed.  I like him as a man, I think he's had a massive positive impact in changing attitudes around the club, and I think he really cares (as opposed to some of our other managers in the recent past who didn't appear to give a toss).

We can all tend to get a little a bit carried away here, both in criticism and in support of Bruce.  The truth of the matter is that SB is a decent, if limited manager and with the resources at his disposal will have us competitive - the argument is one of degrees.  Some would be happy to be in and around the play-off positions, others feel that automatic promotion is required given the depth and quality of our squad .v. competitors.

I said two years ago that I don't think SB will be able to get us out of this league and said the same this time last year. The only thing that has changed for me now is that we look slightly weaker (despite our record-breaking start!)

I believe that the new owners will be putting in place plans to bring their own man in, maybe as soon as before Christmas. 

It will be easier to judge once we've come up against a couple of decent sides (and once Bruce has bought in his loanees, although it frustrating that three years in we are relying on loanees to fill vital first team positions) but I'm more certain that we are not going up this season than previously

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

I believe that the new owners will be putting in place plans to bring their own man in, maybe as soon as before Christmas. 

If we do change managers this season we can't leave it until it's too late. 

• Like 2

I’ve just read Bruce’s post match comments. He is being praised for being brutally honest, which it would be hard not to be after the reportedly very poor performance. 

What I find out of order is the fact he manages to distance himself from any responsibility and puts the blame largely down to the kids that played. I didn’t see it but from what I’ve read and talking to people who saw the game, virtually nobody played well, but Tuanzebe was one of the better players, whilst his experienced defensive partner Elphick was one of the worst. 

He just doesn’t trust young players and uses any excuse he can to justify playing older players. Good man management? Not if you’re under 21. 

• Like 4

Just now, Dick said:

Wait. He said he read them. Do they only exist when spoken? What an odd thing to argue.

What are you on about?  He said he read comments but didn't see the game at all.  How would you know whether comments were right, wrong, spot on, way out of order etc if you've got nothing to base them on?

Not even an argument.  Just a statement of fact.

51 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

2) the players do not have clear instructions from the manager what to do off the ball?

I have a lot of faith in Steve Bruce and the way he builds a team.

We should have a certain type of player at Villa, recent managers have not understood this.

However I believe he is very much of the opinion that "players win you games" and the players are expected to be able to see problems arising and adjust to them as and when they happen.

If this is true and their are only guidelines from the management team not clear instructions on what they should do for every period during the game rather than clear rigid instructions, then we have a problem as players on the pitch are not reacting when patterns of play change.

Ipswich next?

Fingers crossed we go at them, they look weak. 

Hope Bruce gets us playing the ball through the middle, less of the long balls for players to knock down (it's an ok tactic but not constant) and I want us to take control of the game. No more running after the opposition.

Kodjia to score a brace.

• Like 1

Just now, Dick said:

Ipswich next?

Fingers crossed we go at them, they look weak. 

Hope Bruce gets us playing the ball through the middle, less of the long balls for players to knock down (it's an ok tactic but not constant) and I want us to take control of the game. No more running after the opposition.

Kodjia to score a brace.

Ipswich do look pretty terrible.  The problem will be if we try to play counter-attacking football, which Bruce seems to enjoy more, than controlling the game as you say.  Would hope for a comfortable 2-0 win.

Just now, bobzy said:

Ipswich do look pretty terrible.  The problem will be if we try to play counter-attacking football, which Bruce seems to enjoy more, than controlling the game as you say.  Would hope for a comfortable 2-0 win.

I don't mind counter attacking football, when it suits the game. We need to mix it up a bit more, especially with players like McGinn, Green and Grealish, we really have to use the ball and make them chase us. We will tire them out, score goals, then catch them in the break. 

Yeah we do lack a system and a style. It's one of my criticisms of Bruce. Two years and still we rely on chance and luck a lot. As shown last season, that can cost us.

I'm hoping the new owners might put things in place to build a proper structure and they talk with Bruce about our style, it will cost us because we can't keep playing this way and getting results. Happy with three wins though, no complaints there. Just concerned it will go wrong again and there is no plan B.

12 minutes ago, MarkLillis said:

I have a lot of faith in Steve Bruce and the way he builds a team.

We should have a certain type of player at Villa, recent managers have not understood this.

However I believe he is very much of the opinion that "players win you games" and the players are expected to be able to see problems arising and adjust to them as and when they happen.

If this is true and their are only guidelines from the management team not clear instructions on what they should do for every period during the game rather than clear rigid instructions, then we have a problem as players on the pitch are not reacting when patterns of play change.

I agree. I think it might be time to start giving more clear instructions to the players as they do not seem to be synchronizing well enough on their own accord (assuming this is the case ofc). I think we could benefit from having our players drilled at how to move when off the ball and where to expect passes or expect players to be able to receive passes should be etc. players will ultimately make their own decisions on the field, but if they know where to expect a team mate to be then we will reduce the time they have to react to a given situation. it's better to know alternatives beforehand than having to assess every single time.

9 minutes ago, Dick said:

I don't mind counter attacking football, when it suits the game. We need to mix it up a bit more, especially with players like McGinn, Green and Grealish, we really have to use the ball and make them chase us. We will tire them out, score goals, then catch them in the break. 

Same - counter-attacking football is fine, but wasted against a side like Ipswich.  Against Leeds or Brentford or a team which will generally retain the ball and work openings, sure, be solid defensively and spring counter attacks.  Ipswich aren't like that, though.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

Same - counter-attacking football is fine, but wasted against a side like Ipswich.  Against Leeds or Brentford or a team which will generally retain the ball and work openings, sure, be solid defensively and spring counter attacks.  Ipswich aren't like that, though.

Completely agree. ?

I think if we control the game against Ipswich, we will pick holes and get chances, keep on the front foot, keep the ball. Let our quality players use their abilities. Perfect game for Kodjia too, get him in the box and scoring, get his confidence up.

Â