Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

18 minutes ago, blandy said:

I think from memory TRO that pretty much the whole side is a Bruce side. He's recruited the bulk of it, and he's enough choice that even those who were already here didn't need to be picked - he could have put Lansbury etc in if he wanted. His coaches, too, coach the team. I just think the team plays a style and has the good and bad points that reflect him as a manager. I don't think you can let players off playing poorly, of course, but in the round, it's down to the manager. He's had reasonable circumstances, all things considered, IMO.

Pete, as you know its all about opinions and the criticism of SB is not entirely lost on me.....i understand yours and other folks stance, but I have a few dubious thoughts.

• I get the reference to his history of being cautious, but much like Warnock, they have always worked with Journeymen of a sorts....He has rarely had the " Artists " in his squad.
  • He openly admits that Villa is his biggest and most prized job, which in someways explains the above....I am also aware of what comes first the chicken or the egg.
  • I Listen to the best managers around over many years all admit, they can only do it, if they have the players and the industry has gone someway to prove that with the transfer traffic and sophistication of Agents, if it was all down to working what you have, that would not happen.
  • There is only so much you can coach.....The clay on the potters wheel has to be of merchantable quality, else the potter can not make a pot of any worth.
  • I think such was the rotten element to the club when he took over, it was never going to be a quick fix, so incremental transfers was going to be the thing, we was never going to get the right players first time around, no one wanted to go anywhere near us.....for sure there has been players that have not turned out and others where I think he could have done better, but everyone of us could say that and about every manager.
  • Taking everything in to consideration, I think he is a good guy for us.....but my stance will not last forever, it is based empathetically on time and disruption, but I am not dismissive of some of the low grade elements of our play at times and that will only be tolerated for so long.....as he signs better quality, that should in theory improve, if it doesn't, he has to go.
  • Having said all of that, I accept its down to the manager in the cold light of day....He has to deliver.

I think he has one more season to show his worth, I hope the owners back him which I think they will, but I suspect gradual scrutiny will be the order of the day.

I am prepared to give him that season, but I am not prepared to come on here nit picking every other game that he presides over....He needs support in as much as he is our manager, when he has gone, he can do what he likes.....I struggle to be too critical of a guy who is trying his best ( hopefully) to give me what I want.....I think we all need to recognise that element of luck that is required, albeit its not a particular piece of criteria that folk warm to, because it lacks control......But even Middlesbrough beating Ipswich in 1981 was that little bit we had then.....We all need it.

Ps I do also believe the harder you work the luckier you get.

How long before the Bruce Excuse comes rambling out? "Hands were tied, couldn't compete with Premier League Teams going after our targets, FFP meant we couldn't improve the squad as much as we need to" etc...

• Sad 1

52 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Nothing that Bruce has said or done this season warrants this. He has been very positive.

Agreed, most managers would have been on their toes after the turmoil we've endured this Summer.

I'd go as far to say he's probably had a large part in Jack staying as well.

• Like 1

Just now, London Villa said:

Agreed, most managers would have been on their toes after the turmoil we've endured this Summer.

This. I understand the criticisms of Steve Bruce on the tactical / entertainment side but when it comes to team building, the man is very very good indeed. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

This. I understand the criticisms of Steve Bruce on the tactical / entertainment side but when it comes to team building, the man is very very good indeed. 

Short term yes.

Long term, perhaps not as much.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, sne said:

Short term yes.

Long term, perhaps not as much.

Thats fair. Last years team was very clearly for one season only and it didnt work. I will say in his defence he seems to be doing a decent job on building a new one for this year though.

If McGinn is the mobile type of player he seems to be according to all endorsements then we'll not be as slow in the middle of the park this season. I think this is something that has frustrated Bruce as much as it has us fans and I see this move as a way of trying to rectify that. either way it's a new season, only one game played and we won away against Hull unlike last season. I give Bruce a clean slate and we'll have to see where the season takes us. I think we have a very good shot at the top of the league and I think that is the belief Bruce has and wants to instill into the team.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, London Villa said:

No way.

Any part he had in Jack staying was just a coincidence, obviously.

8 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

No way.

I think it’s more to do with the owners personally. Had they met the asking price Jack would have gone.  He may well be happy to continue to play with Bruce but I don’t think there’s any evidence he stayed because of Bruce. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think it’s more to do with the owners personally. Had they met the asking price Jack would have gone.  He may well be happy to continue to play with Bruce but I don’t think there’s any evidence he stayed because of Bruce. 

I was joking.

I have no idea if Bruce had any part to play.

My point was if it comes out that he DID, there will be certain posters in here who will say it was just a coincidence.

Bad = Bruce's fault
Good = Coincidence

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

No way.

I know you’re being sarcastic Stevo, but ironically you are correct. The only thing that changed during the summer was our ownership. Jack didn’t leave because Spurs wouldn’t pay the money and we no longer needed it. 

I recognise the frustration of Steve Bruce being blamed for everything and credited for nothing, but you must see that sometimes people come across as the opposite side of the same coin. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I was joking.

My point was if it comes out that he DID, there will be certain posters in here who will say it was just a coincidence.

Bad = Bruce's fault
Good = Coincidence

Maybe one or two. I’ve said many times before Bruce isn’t going to win fans over with the way the team plays. But as long as the team keep winning games I doubt many would care. If we can build a decent lead then those odd loses or even poor runs won’t be so costly. 

We paid the penalty for a poor start last season which meant we played catch up all season and the pressure that comes with it. 

This season we have a kind fixture list in August. Win these games and I we have something to hold on too. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I know you’re being sarcastic Stevo, but ironically you are correct. The only thing that changed during the summer was our ownership. Jack didn’t leave because Spurs wouldn’t pay the money and we no longer needed it. 

If that's the case, then obviously Bruce didn't have a part to play.

My point is if Jack came out and said "Steve put an arm round me and convinced me to stay" the usual suspects on here would be saying

"ah well that's just coincidence, h'ed have stayed anyway"

"oh that's the least you'd expect from a manager. They all do that"

etc etc etc until we all kill ourselves

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

If that's the case, then obviously Bruce didn't have a part to play.

My point is if Jack came out and said "Steve put an arm round me and convinced me to stay" the usual suspects on here would be saying

"ah well that's just coincidence, h'ed have stayed anyway"

"oh that's the least you'd expect from a manager. They all do that"

etc etc etc until we all kill ourselves

The cyclical nature of the argument can be a little wearing at times, but doesn’t devalue the argument from either side. Almost 2000 posts ago SB was the manager and still is, so it really isn’t any surprise that criticism and praise stay pretty consistent. Since you and I are regular posters we could both be guilty of fanning the flames!

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

It's pretty obvious he didn't. We know Jack wanted to leave and he wasn't convinced to stay after a bid was accepted. He stayed because Spurs refused to meet the asking price. 

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I was joking.

Bad = Bruce's fault
Good = Coincidence

Like when we win:

lose = entirely Bruce’s fault

win = in spite of Bruce

• Like 1

So I am really bored of this, as I am sure that everyone else is as well. 

The Bruce outers are sick of Bruce and the Bruce inners are sick of the outers being sick of Bruce. The Bruce outers are also sick of the Bruce Inners being sick of the outers being sick of Bruce etc.....

Lets call a Truce, Bruce is here for the time being (and presumably as long as he keeps us in or around the top 2) so lets get behind the team and leave the criticism of Bruce and the digs at each other until we are losing games and dropping out of contention. We all know the arguments on both sides, lets stop having digs at each other and look forward to the coming season. We are all Villa fans after all. we have a new owner, we have had a very good window and may well still have some good loan signings coming in, Jack has stayed. All the ingredients are there. Let's enjoy the season. 

UTV

• Like 1

Â