Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

5 hours ago, eholm said:

Yes but he always seems to side with experience due to a perceived lack of trust with the younger players. After watching the pre-season games, I do not understand how he decided to pick Elmo on the wing as opposed to Green. I know that Elmo scored, however, it is this inherent reluctance, on the face of it, to give the younger option a place in the X1 that baffles me.

I'm torn on it to be honest.....I think the desperation at our club to get back up, is partly to blame too.....and we are right to be desperate, don't get me wrong.....but young players have peaks and troughs and its taking that risk in our position.....I think, if he gets some a gap like Wolves had, he will play them more.

No one likes to see young kids come through more than me, I saw Gary Shaw, Brian Little, Gareth Barry all make their debuts....but there was no expectation of winning the league, perhaps Brian in the old Second Division did have pressure to be fair

Its a gamble and Steve does seem a bit cautious......but gaining momentum first, could be the prudent way.....its opinions ,I guess

• Like 1

Last night's result was scrappy indeed.

Three points are three points at the end of the day and if we can win games while playing below average on odd occasions then it will be an interesting season.

Let's hope we start to find a rhythm and develope a bit more attacking nouse to our game once all the windows are closed, players are signed and everything settles down.

With all the unsettling goings on behind the scenes of recent weeks it was great to see we focused more on the game and grab a great away win in the first game of the season.

Looks like Albion are learning the harsh lessons of this league.

Darren Moore shouting.......you have to work.

If Steve Bruce can get us to work hard and with conviction for 45 more games we will go up.

Its not all about that......but without it we are done.

11 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Last night's result was scrappy indeed.

Three points are three points at the end of the day and if we can win games while playing below average on odd occasions then it will be an interesting season.

Let's hope we start to find a rhythm and develope a bit more attacking nouse to our game once all the windows are closed, players are signed and everything settles down.

With all the unsettling goings on behind the scenes of recent weeks it was great to see we focused more on the game and grab a great away win in the first game of the season.

Not many teams scored more goals than us last season and containment is an important part of games.

Its all about winning and finding a formula for doing that.....all out attack or all out defence is not the answer......its getting the balance to control the game and subsequently score more goals than you concede.

It might seem obvious, but when i read some posts i am not so sure.

all out attack for 90 minutes plus....is not an option.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

To be fair, it's not for many teams.

If we can implement some attacking play in stages then eventually the balance will come.

But we do already.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TRO said:

Not many teams scored more goals than us last season and containment is an important part of games.

Its all about winning and finding a formula for doing that.....all out attack or all out defence is not the answer......its getting the balance to control the game and subsequently score more goals than you concede.

It might seem obvious, but when i read some posts i am not so sure.

all out attack for 90 minutes plus....is not an option.

I don't think anyone is suggesting all out attack. But we need to be more purposeful and quicker of mind. We have to develop some identity to how we play and be confident in imposing that identity on our opponents. That's what impressed me most about Wolves last season, their confidence and belief. We had it, but it inexplicably deserted us, when we needed it most, maybe we thought it was a given and we just had to turn up, unfortunately, as we found to our cost, that attitude cost us. We have to find a style of play that builds momentum, and then maintain that momentum as consistently as possible. Only then will we move upwards. Fingers crossed.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, imavillan said:

Hold on to what he said and see if we are playing with more intensity/pace/purpose/high tempo come the end of Sept/Oct/Nov.

It would be nice to see but I have my doubts given his previous history.

It will be very interesting.

but whos fault is that? Why are they coming with no intensity? Is it because of his tactics.. sit deep yada yada.. or is it the players hes picking Whelan Hourihane or is it because nobody is listening to him? 

Whatever the reason.. he has to be responsibly. We started that slowly in the Final and couldnt recover. We cannot afford to start so slowly all the time. We need to be on the front foot. We have more quality than most teams even if Grealish goes. 

• Like 2

Hays off to bruce, he certainly can build a squad/team.

We seem to be doing it the right way this window in buying as well as loans, so we don't have to completely start again next summer!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

I don't think anyone is suggesting all out attack. But we need to be more purposeful and quicker of mind. We have to develop some identity to how we play and be confident in imposing that identity on our opponents. That's what impressed me most about Wolves last season, their confidence and belief. We had it, but it inexplicably deserted us, when we needed it most, maybe we thought it was a given and we just had to turn up, unfortunately, as we found to our cost, that attitude cost us. We have to find a style of play that builds momentum, and then maintain that momentum as consistently as possible. Only then will we move upwards. Fingers crossed.

and do you know what sheepy.....I 100% agree, with all of that.

where we may differ slightly is.....I think that comes from having players who can do that.

I accept your view on SB and i am not going to (or attempt to) change that....I may disagree with the amount of criticism that you aim at Bruce, but I respect your passion for our club and your opinion.

If you read my posts carefully.....I agree with the downsides of our play, its just that i am not as sure as you its all manager.....I don't think for instance Nuno could do any better with our lot than Bruce.

Example............If the team have no pace.....you can't coach that in to them.....so if you blame the manager for not having players with it, you get no argument from me.

I would also accept the argument that it is the managers job to recruit the right players, given reasonable circumstances.

I don't think the balance of our first team is there just yet.....we can rely on some players every week, others like Adomah are very hit and miss.....we won't go up with too many hit and miss players....Its only when we have 11 consistent players all on the front foot, all anxious to seize the initiative, all eager to win the ball ,all with an appetite to turn the ball over, all with a keenness to run off the ball to cause danger....will we resemble an outfit that has method and shape and dominates the opposition.

I also accept that Steve Bruce cannot be expecting us to hang around forever.....It takes time and with set backs and distractions like this summer, it makes it more difficult....Loan players give us advantages, but as we have seen when it doesn't work , by not gaining promotion, it  takes you back to your starting point.

Steve Bruce does not have unlimited time and his work will be scrutinised by these owners.....I just hope he is able to bring in the players who will get him and us over the line.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

I take that as high praise. I like Neil Lennon. 

Not many in the industry have a bad word about his character or ability.....In fact I have never heard anyone make derogatory remarks about the bloke.

sorry, meant Bruce....but Lennon as well.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

Not many in the industry have a bad word about his character or ability.....In fact I have never heard anyone make derogatory remarks about the bloke.

Let him come and manage here then......we will soon fix that !?

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Let him come and manage here then......we will soon fix that !?

Sorry Terry.....I was referring to Bruce.....reiterating what Neil Lennon said about him......my lazy writing misled you.

Oops.

Edited by TRO

3 hours ago, TRO said:

.I think that comes from having players who can do that.

I accept your view on SB and i am not going to (or attempt to) change that....I may disagree with the amount of criticism that you aim at Bruce, but I respect your passion for our club and your opinion.

If you read my posts carefully.....I agree with the downsides of our play, its just that i am not as sure as you its all manager.....I don't think for instance Nuno could do any better with our lot than Bruce.

Example............If the team have no pace.....you can't coach that in to them.....so if you blame the manager for not having players with it, you get no argument from me.

I would also accept the argument that it is the managers job to recruit the right players, given reasonable circumstances.

I think from memory TRO that pretty much the whole side is a Bruce side. He's recruited the bulk of it, and he's enough choice that even those who were already here didn't need to be picked - he could have put Lansbury etc in if he wanted. His coaches, too, coach the team. I just think the team plays a style and has the good and bad points that reflect him as a manager. I don't think you can let players off playing poorly, of course, but in the round, it's down to the manager. He's had reasonable circumstances, all things considered, IMO.

Â