Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

27 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I think some of the whinging is cathartic and rooted in frustration. Plus we’re talking about the football team we love, so whilst we may be balanced and rational in all other aspects of our lives, at some point in our football world we may just want to enjoy a damn good tantrum. And as the father of a 4 year old I know what they look like!

I think that this season very much depends on building on the momentum we’ve gained from the new owners, keeping our best players and a winning start. If we get points on the board early then we won’t be playing catch up like we were last season and we can afford the small set backs that will inevitably come. 

However if the new guys identify a manager that they think is capable of overseeing whatever future vision they have for us, then I believe they’ll pull the trigger. And I think to a large extent, that will be regardless of how well we are doing. Of course if and when they find this manager, we have played 12 won 12 then that may make the trigger finger wobble!

Either way the team and Bruce will have my support, but that doesn’t mean I won’t be critical if I think there’s something to be critical of. On here criticism is largely inconsequential, poor support eg booing etc at the game, is and always will be a big NO for me. UTV!

100% this.

A big reason to feel positive for me right now, is that Bruce has a great fixture list. You look at the next 4/5 games and there is no reason why we shouldn't make hay and get close to maximum points, which will create momentum whilst the new guys mix in. Wigan at home, Ipswich away. Brentford home, Reading home... you would think 10 points is the minimum from that lot.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Rodders said:

A big reason to feel positive for me right now, is that Bruce has a great fixture list. You look at the next 4/5 games and there is no reason why we shouldn't make hay and get close to maximum points, which will create momentum whilst the new guys mix in. Wigan at home, Ipswich away. Brentford home, Reading home... you would think 10 points is the minimum from that lot.

I recall a similar scenario last season when fancied our chances in a similar run toward the end but failed to capitalise.

I hope this season we take advantage and collect maximum points in the games above mentioned.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I think some of the whinging is cathartic and rooted in frustration. Plus we’re talking about the football team we love, so whilst we may be balanced and rational in all other aspects of our lives, at some point in our football world we may just want to enjoy a damn good tantrum. And as the father of a 4 year old I know what they look like!

I think that this season very much depends on building on the momentum we’ve gained from the new owners, keeping our best players and a winning start. If we get points on the board early then we won’t be playing catch up like we were last season and we can afford the small set backs that will inevitably come. 

However if the new guys identify a manager that they think is capable of overseeing whatever future vision they have for us, then I believe they’ll pull the trigger. And I think to a large extent, that will be regardless of how well we are doing. Of course if and when they find this manager, we have played 12 won 12 then that may make the trigger finger wobble!

Either way the team and Bruce will have my support, but that doesn’t mean I won’t be critical if I think there’s something to be critical of. On here criticism is largely inconsequential, poor support eg booing etc at the game, is and always will be a big NO for me. UTV!

I'll second this.

Great article Dave and couldn't agree more.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

He has literally said things like "Regarding Terry, that won't be happening, the owners want young and hungry players with something to prove, that is their vision"

Soooo

Cool. I hadn’t heard that

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

He has literally said things like "Regarding Terry, that won't be happening, the owners want young and hungry players with something to prove, that is their vision"

Soooo

As much as I part agree with where the owners are coming from regards young and hungry youth, I think Terry and Snoddy should be brought in as a bit of experience to balance it out a wee bit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Soooo

Can you let us have some links to those quotes. I think you may be one of the few to have spotted that!

I was disappointed when he was here at a 1,000 pages, gutted he's still here at 2,000.

Don't get me wrong, nobody likes a win any way we get it more than I do. Two years on I just don't have the confidence that his team and his coaching methods and style of play will get us promoted. Too often we rely on individuals to make something happen, and I'm not convinced you can rely on that for a whole season.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

As much as I part agree with where the owners are coming from regards young and hungry youth, I think Terry and Snoddy should be brought in as a bit of experience to balance it out a wee bit.

What is there to balance out?.......our line-up vs Hull only had 2 players under the age of 25, Jack and Jed. I think we are well stocked in the exeierience stakes. 

IMO I think there is too much importance attached to experience....see the PO final. 

1 hour ago, briny_ear said:

Can you let us have some links to those quotes. I think you may be one of the few to have spotted that!

I saw it as well, it wasn’t very long ago, perhaps a week. I can’t recall where I saw it though. Probably something I saw from Newsnow, but it was a genuine Bruce quote

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, eholm said:

What is there to balance out?.......our line-up vs Hull only had 2 players under the age of 25, Jack and Jed. I think we are well stocked in the exeierience stakes. 

IMO I think there is too much importance attached to experience....see the PO final. 

I largely agree, but as in all things there is an element of balance. However we do have a fair bit of experience in the squad as you point out, although I’m not so sure Jedinak is under 25! I believe the key areas where experience out weighs youthful flare tends to be in defence, specially central defence. Strikers are more about flare and instinct. 

1 hour ago, USA_Villa said:

I was disappointed when he was here at a 1,000 pages, gutted he's still here at 2,000.

Don't get me wrong, nobody likes a win any way we get it more than I do. Two years on I just don't have the confidence that his team and his coaching methods and style of play will get us promoted. Too often we rely on individuals to make something happen, and I'm not convinced you can rely on that for a whole season.

I hope he's still here at 5,000 pages because it will mean we've been promoted. Give the bloke a rest he's the main reason we've still got Jack

We're going up no doubt about it!!

2 hours ago, briny_ear said:

Here you go...

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/how-aston-villa-reward-key-14987232

last lines of text before the adverts start at the bottom. 

Its the Birmingham mail, I Know, I Know, but they claim to be direct quotes from Bruce

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dick said:

Not a Bruce fan. But I've gone over my views time and time again. Right now I'm supporting him and the team. If I feel he was wrong I will say so. Same when he is right. 

Whatever happens he is here for at least 5 months, so we just have to support him in what he does, hope he makes the changes we need and it shoots us up to where we belong.

(If you want to know how 'Bruce out' I have been, ask @TRO! If I can get behind Be, anybody can)

Same here. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

I largely agree, but as in all things there is an element of balance. However we do have a fair bit of experience in the squad as you point out, although I’m not so sure Jedinak is under 25! I believe the key areas where experience out weighs youthful flare tends to be in defence, specially central defence. Strikers are more about flare and instinct. 

Jed Steer, mate, not Jedinak who was ill ?. Agreed on central defence, however, I think Bruce sees Jedinak as a CB this season, unfortunately. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, briny_ear said:

I know i'm petty sometimes but not to the level of making things up for effect.

When I can find the direct link I will post.

EDIT: LINK FOUND https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/how-aston-villa-reward-key-14987232

“In an ideal world, I’d love to have five or six going to bat on Monday at Hull.

“If I’m being brutally honest, that’s not the case.

“However, we’ve got things on the go at the moment, and hopefully we can get two or three over the line and we’re still working with the barrier of August 31 because we can use the loan market until then.

"As for John, that won't be happening. The owners want young, aggressive, hungry players with things to prove. That’s their vision."

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2

Â