Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, sheepyvillian said:

What we need is a manager who wants his team to play with the attitude of " fortune favors the brave ". Who that maybe, I don't know, but what I do know, it ain't Steve Bruce.

thats OK when fighting relegation but when have one of the best teams in league we never had that attitude. Bruce rarely made an attacking sub in close draws and if did it be a like for like move

though when losing he did use my personal favourite throw on every forward available tactic which never ever worked

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Gray left Villa in 92 to work for Sky, we came second and won a cup after that

so why did Ron Get the sack?.....if it was all going so well.

I haven't got the facts in front of me just going by memory.

10 minutes ago, av1 said:

To be fair Dave, I don't know of a single fan that was unhappy about Dr Xia buying the club from Lerner, and look how that turned out..

Lambert was shafted, so was Remi Garde, but that doesn't completely excuse the poor job they did. Lambert (imo) was crap, irrelevant of the constraints. 

His career after us also suggests that. 

Lambert came to us on the back of two promotions and left a free flowing Norwich city to join us - the task was to big for him at this time, but hey he was working with his hand yanked up his back - it's my belief that Villa scarred Lambert for life and sent him into a state of mind that breeds a ' don't lose mentality ' at the cost of everything else - I genuinely like the guy and wish him well.

i suspect he will see out his career in leagues 1 & 2 - hope I am wrong 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TRO said:

so why did Ron Get the sack?.....if it was all going so well.

I haven't got the facts in front of me just going by memory.

Notwithstanding the cup win in 93/94, I actually think the problems started in the summer of 1993.

Manchester United won the league with 2 wingers in 92/93 and 93/94 but Ron started trying to integrate Atkinson, Saunders and Whittingham into a front 3. And meanwhile in midfield we started out with an ageing Gordon Cowans and really lacked natural width.  The consistency wasn’t there, the 2nd half of 93/94 in terms of league form was a disgrace (which the Tranmere semi and United Final disguised).  We had an ageing squad, who got too comfortable. Brian Little commented afterwards on the lack of discipline when he succeeded Ron.

By the time Ellis pulled the trigger, Villa had won 5 out of the previous 27 league games having sold Daley and Froggatt and bought Fashanu.  Despite the furore, it was actually one of Doug’s most justified sackings.

Edited by Stephen_Evans
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, TRO said:

Wolves conceded 39 goals all season in the league............hardly Gungho.

They had players with far better ball control and movement than ours, hence their domination of the league.

Rightly or wrongly Bruce has a view of the ability of his players, that will influence him how they set up and play.....You either agree with that set up or you don't......I can call on games during last season where, I can see your point, but I am not responsible for results when the contrary option is employed and we lose.....I have my view on our players, that may not agree with your view or his view.

We scored 72 goals, we conceded 42.......Hardly a depiction of caution over a season.

We conceded less than Fulham and scored More than Cardiff......We didn't go up because we didn't win enough games.

It can be argued that problem was mainly at the start of the season, when the new players had not yet bedded in from the previous seasons transition, despite us losing our talisman.

Sheepy, despite your stance and it does have merit.....we were close.....very close.

ps anyway, we have done this to death.....its what the new owners think now.

He's not taking this club forward . As for us being close, that's irrelevant, you said yourself , you had no confidence in us getting promoted.

I really hope the new men at the top decide a change is needed, because that's the only way this club is going to progress.

Too close to the season to make a change imo.

Think SB will get up to xmas to stabilse us in the top half.

Can see a change being made around the new year. It's inevitable as majority of takeovers happen and then the manager is changed within six months. New owners want their own guy in charge eventually.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Can see a change being made around the new year. It's inevitable as majority of takeovers happen and then the manager is changed within six months. New owners want their own guy in charge eventually.

Agree. Bruce will remain as part of a transition in to a new setup. 

I’m expecting Europeans bought in from DOF to coaches to Manager.  Along with them young loan signings from the continent based on the clout of the connections of the people bought in.  A super agent may be useful too ;)

The success of wolves and Fulham and the approach they took will have not gone unnoticed. 

Interesting and exciting times ahead me thinks.

11 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Agree. Bruce will remain as part of a transition in to a new setup. 

I’m expecting Europeans bought in from DOF to coaches to Manager.  Along with them young loan signings from the continent based on the clout of the connections of the people bought in.  A super agent may be useful too ;)

The success of wolves and Fulham and the approach they took will have not gone unnoticed. 

Interesting and exciting times ahead me thinks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dave J said:

Andy Gray - what a player - manager/coach meh! That's why he chose the sky cash cow 

Ron's last 30 games he won 6......but initially great yeah.

his last season he won 2 in 14 and went in the november after the defeat to Wimbledon......but I get your point.

I imagine this isn't a spur of the moment idea by our new owners and that they have a plan.

Would be strange if it didn't include a manager. If it does it might be a pretty quick process. So even if the season starts soon it would still be worth changing IMO.

Having Bruce on borrowed time with the thought of replacing him mid season would be retarded.

They might see Bruce as the man for the long term, or might not have given the managerial situation any thought. Both those scenarios would be worrying for me.

Still I expect a lot of thing will be made clear in the coming days.

1 minute ago, Tommo_b said:

Still think it’s weird Theirry Henry quits his €12 million sky job unless he has something possibly lined up, and whoever said Wenger as DOF, what a great coup that would be! 

Yaya Sanogo as first signing.

34 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

He's not taking this club forward . As for us being close, that's irrelevant, you said yourself , you had no confidence in us getting promoted.

I really hope the new men at the top decide a change is needed, because that's the only way this club is going to progress.

sorry mate, I really don't want to continue this....but you are employing your own interpretation, here.

• I said my expectation did not extend to expecting us to go up, that is somewhat different.....I thought Wolves were better than us.....Cardiff and Fulham, nip and tuck.
  • Being close is not irrelevant at all, quite the contrary, it depicts progress.
  • The men at the top will make their decisions, for sure......I only hope it pleases you.

2 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Calm down  :crylaugh:

You need to stop under reacting.

No, I really don't.

Just because I'm questioning your statement of Arsene Wenger coming in doesn't mean I want Nigel Adkins in. I'm trying to remain a bit grounded seeing as the takeovers only just been announced today. Let's get a bit realistic for a second here and stay grounded. We've a long way to go, and personally going in on mad one right from the off is ludicrous. Of course I'd love somebody like Wenger in, and I'd back it 100% if it happened, but it's very unlikely scenario. Let's just try and focus on keeping some of our better players, improving morale and playing good football. If they want to stick with Bruce we've gotta trust 'em and get behind him.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Warnock said:

No, I really don't.

Just because I'm questioning your statement of Arsene Wenger coming in doesn't mean I want Nigel Adkins in. I'm trying to remain a bit grounded seeing as the takeovers only just been announced today. Let's get a bit realistic for a second here and stay grounded. We've a long way to go, and personally going in on mad one right from the off is ludicrous. Of course I'd love somebody like Wenger in, and I'd back it 100% if it happened, but it's very unlikely scenario. Let's just try and focus on keeping some of our better players, improving morale and playing good football. If they want to stick with Bruce we've gotta trust 'em and get behind him.

Your opinion and you stay grounded by all means. Some of us like to comment on things we have read.  :thumb:

1 hour ago, Tommo_b said:

Still think it’s weird Theirry Henry quits his €12 million sky job unless he has something possibly lined up, and whoever said Wenger as DOF, what a great coup that would be! 

Seems strange especially as all the papers tonight report he is on a shortlist to replace Bruce. Bruce is on limited time whether it’s Henry or not I guess, shame it didn’t work but my guess is we will go another direction. New owners always have new ideas and prefer their own preference in charge. Henry is a big gamble though. 

9 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I would rather Bruce than that clown Henry.................................................................................Cant believe I just typed that :P

Ah, c'mon. You've got to hand it to him - he's a safe pair of hands. He could handle the job, hands down. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, TRO said:

Ron's last 30 games he won 6......but initially great yeah.

his last season he won 2 in 14 and went in the november after the defeat to Wimbledon......but I get your point.

I know TRO - like you I lived it all - for me those days in the lower Witton ( still don't know why I had a ticket there - there was a crew of around 50 who were a pain in the bum) were magical days - I'll never forget Big Ron on the pitch telling the fans he was trying to bring in Dean Saunders - can you imagine Deadly's face 

Â