Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

Just now, jacketspuds said:

If we are going to have significant investment I would like to see another manager come in as opposed to continuing to throw money around on "experienced" players. We need a longer term strategy and Bruce isn't it.

Well we actually have the money to sack him now and pay off his rolling contract so we can get rid of him.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

If we are going to have significant investment I would like to see another manager come in as opposed to continuing to throw money around on "experienced" players. We need a longer term strategy and Bruce isn't it.

I doubt anyone would disagree with that. Of course with two weeks to go it could/ should only be the case if somebody is lined up. If there is not, I think they have to keep him a while yet.

• Like 1

Less dramatic I know but personally I hope the new owners get there feet under the table before making any big decisions (they have hinted they will do this) - thats not pro or anti bruce - but lets see the brains of the new owners. 

• Like 1

New owners do tend to keep the manager on in the short term. I get the impression this takeover has been done very quickly within the last 10 days. I think the last thing they want is to be hunting for new team manager - 2 weeks before the season starts.

Not the time for rash decisions, there have been countless examples of new owners wet behind the ears coming in, not knowing **** all about football and appointing their own guy for the sake of appointing their own guy. Football is not like any other business.

1 hour ago, lapal_fan said:

"any evidence to the contrary to my belief, will be dismissed" 

reasonable, and predictable. 

And yet, despite winning more games in a season than our European Cup winning manager and therefore obviously being better than him, we still seem to be in the Championship. It's a conundrum beyond comprehension alright, or it might just mean relying on stats out of context is akin to talking bollox. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I'm not trawling back through hundreds of pages to find posts. 

but there are plenty of people who want Bruce gone because they don't think he can get us promoted this season.

My point is I don't think anyone is getting us promoted this season. With our finances, this season will be about surviving with a decimated squad. IN THAT SCENARIO, Bruce isn't a bad option to have, and I think if bruce left we wouldn't be appointing the next David Wagner, we'd likely be scraping the managerial barrel and appointing Gary Megson to try and keep us in the league.

So that will be a no then. ?

What I have seen on these pages is a combination of people who want him sacked for failing last season, those who want him sacked because he is unlikely to have succeeded in the new bankrupt Villa when he couldn't in a Villa where he was backed and those who have reluctantly accepted that it is probably best to keep hold of him for the moment whilst other issues around the club are resolved (one way or another). I am in the latter camp - so surprisingly for once you and I agree on Bruce. 

I have not seen anyone wanting Bruce sacked so that someone else can achieve promotion this coming season. 

Although, with this morning's news, that could all change!

• Like 1

I hope the new investment comes with a new plan, and appointments should start with CEO, board, football director.

I would then expect the football director to start implementing his plan and some other appointments to follow to allow this to happen, scouting and coaching would be the two main areas you'd think.

It *should* start at the top though, hopefully some talent finally at the top.

• Like 1

Seen a few rumours of Thierry Henry - interesting if true .

Bruce can leave with his reputation intact - he got us close but ultimately failed to achieve the aim.

Edited by Eastie

24 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

despite winning more games in a season than our European Cup winning manager

I do agree with the importance of context but to be fair Tony Barton wasnt one of our better managers and largely won the cup on the back of Saunders work and then oversaw the stady decline of the club shortly afterwards.

3 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Not completely against Bruce staying (for now) but after today’s events and being able to dream again, I think a Wenger (DOF?) and Henry (manager) team up would be amazing!

Was thinking the same thing mate - both available and looking for another challenge 

3 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Not completely against Bruce staying (for now) but after today’s events and being able to dream again, I think a Wenger (DOF?) and Henry (manager) team up would be amazing!

I am.

He had his chance and a wheel barrow of cash to go along with.

New board.. new manager.. fresh ideas.

Thanks Steve, all the best.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, kiltorken said:

I do agree with the importance of context but to be fair Tony Barton wasnt one of our better managers and largely won the cup on the back of Saunders work and then oversaw the stady decline of the club shortly afterwards.

OK, fair point.... so replace him with Saunders in my statement...... ? 

Two weeks until the season starts. Unless we have someone lined up already Bruce should stay. If it's not working out after a couple of months then sure, make a change.

I really don't see us suddenly spending a wedge of money over the next few weeks.

We shouldn't forget what Bruce achieved in terms if changing the whole mindset of the dressing room last season, even if he's a bit old hat tactically and ultimately fell short of our goal. 

17 minutes ago, PatrickCousens said:

Two weeks until the season starts. Unless we have someone lined up already Bruce should stay. If it's not working out after a couple of months then sure, make a change.

I really don't see us suddenly spending a wedge of money over the next few weeks.

We shouldn't forget what Bruce achieved in terms if changing the whole mindset of the dressing room last season, even if he's a bit old hat tactically and ultimately fell short of our goal. 

For me Patrick, the bigger picture is that Bruce has not got half of this squad this season now, plus has 8 others he needs to offload first.

He's had his shot. Bring in someone ready for that new challenge.

Not saying we should get on the band wagon of happenings, but I would welcome a Henry/Wenger stint.

Â