Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

28 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Is any evidence thst wheeling and dealing suits Bruce? He has always had decent budgets as a manager

Nothing suits him IMO, he's not very good in any situation as a manager.

10 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Nothing suits him IMO, he's not very good in any situation as a manager.

Apart for the four seasons he got promoted. Didn't add earlier but one of those seasons was on a net spend of £2 mill. Also, please nominate a manager out there who can come into a club with a guaranteed net spend of minus £40 mill and achieve anything but relegation. Oh, how expectations have slipped! - well yes they have - so let's get on with it.

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I personally think Bruce has lost his ambition as a manager if he is content on staying on a sinking ship while continue to pick up a very good salary. It’s not a dig at the guy. Many managers in his shoes would probably stick around too.

I hope I’m wrong and he genuinely believes he will be able to challenge for promotion. I just can’t see it. 

I've got mixed feelings about it all, ( I struggle to absolve him totally of the position regarding overspending, and see merit in keeping or removing him as Manager from a purely football point of view) .

......but in my view as regards his comments .. he seems a decent enough bloke...whilst of course he wants the money I don't personally see that's what this is about - I mean, he's not hard up, and its not going to be an easy job...…..I think he deserves to be taken at face value when he says he thought about leaving but will stay because he thinks in our current situation the Club needs him...…..we may end up being very grateful (II know some will be appalled at that !)……….

I think it would have been easy for him to go, and, whilst him being our Manager doesn't fill me with excitement, I do think its no bad thing that hes going to be here.  

15 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Apart for the four seasons he got promoted. Didn't add earlier but one of those seasons was on a net spend of £2 mill. Also, please nominate a manager out there who can come into a club with a guaranteed net spend of minus £40 mill and achieve anything but relegation. Oh, how expectations have slipped! - well yes they have - so let's get on with it.

I think there are plenty of managers who can build a team to survive at the very least this season but also push for playoffs in 2 to 3 seasons time. 

1 minute ago, omariqy said:

That interview on Sky Sports is absolute scandalous IMO. To go on about how desperate we are that we will have to sell Jack, Chester and Kodjia, to actually name them, to then go on about how we won't get hardly anything for them, to then say clubs can just wait till deadline day to pick them up and then finally to question whether the owner (his boss) actually is a fraud or not is absolutely atrocious. He completely absolves himself of any blame of not getting us up last season and has mentioned things that, yes, we could have guessed but adds no benefit to the club and its fans. All it does is make him look better when it inevitably goes wrong.

Say someone new came in, at this moment - what should be in their first statement?

11 hours ago, Fairy In Boots said:

At this point I’m still surprised people expect competence from this guy. He’s been an abject failure at Villa, the fact he has more say now Round has gone has sapped any sort of enthusiasm I had for the coming season. This clown will blood our youth, playing dinosaur football that we’ve just watched fail consecutively with better players for 2 years. 

He’s a joke & the club is a joke. Villa park has spent the last 15 years as a static big top with various circus’s taking up residence. 

Painfully true.

As I said before it's a no lose situation for Bruce now.

Start badly the excuses are there. Struggle throughout the season at the lower end of the table the excuses are there.

Villa surprise most and hover around top ten. Heralded as a miracle worker and enhances reputation ten fold.

He can't lose by staying. He isn't stupid.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, striker said:

As I said before it's a no lose situation for Bruce now.

Start badly the excuses are there. Struggle throughout the season at the lower end of the table the excuses are there.

Villa surprise most and hover around top ten. Heralded as a miracle worker and enhances reputation ten fold.

He can't lose by staying. He isn't stupid.

He's also basically got complete reign over the club. Has to meet a massive target for FFP, but apart from that there is nobody (in this country) who will overrule him on anything. That sort of power at a club the size of Villa is difficult to walk away from - and possibly too much for a rookie manager to take on.

15 minutes ago, Jareth said:

He's also basically got complete reign over the club. Has to meet a massive target for FFP, but apart from that there is nobody (in this country) who will overrule him on anything. That sort of power at a club the size of Villa is difficult to walk away from - and possibly too much for a rookie manager to take on.

Agree bringing in a rookie manager would be an odd choice and unheard of for a club like us (although I guess that's what Derby did with Lampard)

But bringing in someone with a different mindset, ideas and approach might not be a bad idea considering we are in for totally different challenges than the ones Bruce was hired for and is IMO suitable for..

But I'm pretty sure Xia is not interested in making any footballing decisions (probably for the best) and has other in his opinion more pressing issues at his plates.

1 minute ago, sne said:

Agree bringing in a rookie manager would be an odd choice and unheard of for a club like us (although I guess that's what Derby did with Lampard)

But bringing in someone with a different mindset, ideas and approach might not be a bad idea considering we are in for totally different challenges than the ones Bruce was hired for and is IMO suitable for..

But I'm pretty sure Xia is not interested in making any footballing decisions (probably for the best) and has other in his opinion more pressing issues at his plates.

I'd like a change also, but as you say it's last on Tony's list, and maybe if we take that route we should give that manager the best start possible - in other words next season earliest when (in an ideal world) hopefully investment has been sorted, FFP met, and potentially a £13 million permitted loss all to be spent on improving the squad. Might go find another hobby for twelve months...

I'd love to know what people would have liked him to say.

Because anything other than what he has said would have been a lie so are people asking to be lied to?

Are these the depths we've reached seriously?!

I hope he stays, I fear he won't and it will be the 'fans' that end up as the deciding factor in him leaving.

9 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Might go find another hobby for twelve months...

I'm losing my passion for football year by year.

Villa being poorly run, going in the complete opposite direction I hoped we would when getting a new owner in regards to "football people" manager and transfer strategy.

The only faint silver lining I saw with us not getting promoted, again, was that at least now we'd hopefully be rid of the jobs for the boys brigade in Wyness, Round and Bruce.

But thanks to the dire financial situation we can't even seem to afford to let him go and barnacle Bruce clings on to his golden contract despite consecutive failures and failing to build a squad for more than 1 season at a time.

Lerner had already sapped much of the enjoyment out of it with his feeble stewardship. 

It all started to go downhill for me when MON sent a reserve team to Moscow, that should have been it for him.

Since then it's been a slippery slope with our current state always being the likely destination thanks to the strategy under Xia and his boys.

• Sad 1

I'd like them to say

"we are going all out for promotion this season and we keep all our best players. We have people behind the scenes business people who are working hard to circumvent FFP"

I've never heard any other club in the UK shít themselves so much over FFP

11 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Errrrm no.

People wanted us to find a new manager ages ago to help prevent this very situation.

And then, the reason was also "who else could we get"? "We may as well keep him", "We need stability".

Welp, we have now got it by default ;)

It’s not having the “wrong” or “old” manager that has got us into our current financial peril.

It is having an “owner” who seemingly doesn’t really own us and doesn't have the resources to fund our day to day operations.

Failing to get promotion has brought the situation to a head now but if we had got promoted arguably things would have been worse. The suspicion is that much of the premier league bounty would have been swallowed by Tony’s creditors, leaving us less able to cope in the premier league than the last time we were there.

Dear Steve.  366 days from now your salary will be reduced by half.  We’re no longer spending big to get promoted quickly, so your salary, like that of players, needs to come down.  If you are unwilling to accept that wage, get promotion and i’ll Reconsider, or, kindly give us 3 months notice to help us search for a replacement.  Sincerely, Dr T

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I'd love to know what people would have liked him to say.

Because anything other than what he has said would have been a lie so are people asking to be lied to?

Are these the depths we've reached seriously?!

I hope he stays, I fear he won't and it will be the 'fans' that end up as the deciding factor in him leaving.

for many, there is literally nothing that he could have said that they would have liked

2 hours ago, terrytini said:

I've got mixed feelings about it all, ( I struggle to absolve him totally of the position regarding overspending, and see merit in keeping or removing him as Manager from a purely football point of view) .

......but in my view as regards his comments .. he seems a decent enough bloke...whilst of course he wants the money I don't personally see that's what this is about - I mean, he's not hard up, and its not going to be an easy job...…..I think he deserves to be taken at face value when he says he thought about leaving but will stay because he thinks in our current situation the Club needs him...…..we may end up being very grateful (II know some will be appalled at that !)……….

I think it would have been easy for him to go, and, whilst him being our Manager doesn't fill me with excitement, I do think its no bad thing that hes going to be here.  

Teri I hope you’re but I don’t think it would be so easy for him to leave as I doubt there will be many clubs out there that would want to recruit him or will pay anything near what Villa currently are.  His reputation has taken a hit for not getting us promoted in my opinion. 

I’ve no doubt he will give his best in any job he is in. I just question if he really believes deep down that he can still be successful at Villa. 

Â