Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

14 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Ive always said failure to go up should result in him leaving, but I do worry about who we’d replace him with

What does it matter? Someone younger and hungrier. Someone with an eye for the modern game. Someone with an idea on how to play football. Someone who'll be able to work with the kids. Someone accustomed to working with no money. 

Simple fact is, we aren't going anywhere with Bruce. Do you honestly think he'll do better next year? We all know the realities, and the limit of Bruce's managing. He's done well to stop the rot, and can certainly leave with his head held him. 

UTV

1 minute ago, Johnnyp said:

Worrying about who we replace him with is not enough reason to keep him though is it ?

No it’s not I agree. But you should only replace with someone better

1 minute ago, vreitti said:

What does it matter? Someone younger and hungrier. Someone with an eye for the modern game. Someone with an idea on how to play football. Someone who'll be able to work with the kids. Someone accustomed to working with no money. 

Simple fact is, we aren't going anywhere with Bruce. Do you honestly think he'll do better next year? We all know the realities, and the limit of Bruce's managing. He's done well to stop the rot, and can certainly leave with his head held him. 

UTV

Who is this magic person? If it’s so easy to get all those traits in a manager every club would get them.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

No it’s not I agree. But you should only replace with someone better

Who is this magic person? If it’s so easy to get all those traits in a manager every club would get them.

Wolves and Fulham have one - would you not think?

In my humble opinion he needs to go. I dont like that in some games we take underdog position or playing style when we hawe  one of the best teams in this league. I dont like that he buys or loans in strikers like hogan graban or mcormack. I think we way beter playing with kodjia or davis who is good at holding ball who realy fights for ball with that defence not just imitating fight and tries to beat ofside over and over again. When i see hogan or graban act like they fighting defence for ball  but all they try to do is run behind them and hope that ball bounces from ground and they beat offside like that its infuriating to me. I want manager who have tactics in mind who builds team for those tactics not like bruce who just builds team and hopes for individual goals.

Well putting aside the result - is anyone really surprised by that performance ? Let's be honest about it - it's his DNA and for me sums up his tenure.

sure we have had a good run since xmas but even this run has been littered with some dross imo at times .

We are way too bang average and inconsistent and this is why we are who we are - we haven't done enough to deserve to go up again imo and it's his fault entirely - someone on here said that all Bruce does is chase the better players for the division - which is very easy when your ASTON VILLA big club big fan base big wages and so forth,  but when it comes to moulding a team I'm afraid he does not cut the mustard for me, anyone can sign players for ASTON VILLA 

I do not dislike the man at all - however he should go now and allow us to concentrate on an even more difficult task next season - for the life of me I just can't see how or why he should be given another opportunity - what has he shown to suggest he can go again and do better next year.

i would love to see Eddie Howe approached - young stylish manager who knows how to win promotion playing the right way - might be a pipe dream but I'd still like to see us try.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheStagMan said:

YES! EXACTLY THAT it is how he has set up every team he has ever managed.

Maybe because he felt he had to....you play to the strength of your players.

but our goals for, during the season does not suggest we are inherently negative, we just try a way to win with what we have got.....maybe the teams that have gained promotion, were simply better.

4 against Wolves....4 against Ipswich.....5 against Bristol....does that sound negative?

No ?....we never turned up for whatever reason and they did.

I don't think the systems 4-1-4-1 v 4-3-3 had a bearing either....games morph anyway during play....they were better individually and subsequently collectively.

They had their better players imposing themselves, we didn't.

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

Maybe because he felt he had to....you play to the strength of your players.

but our goals for, during the season does not suggest we are inherently negative, we just try a way to win with what we have got.....maybe the teams that have gained promotion, were simply better.

4 against Wolves....4 against Ipswich.....5 against Bristol....does that sound negative?

No ?....we never turned up for whatever reason and they did.

I don't think the systems 4-1-4-1 v 4-3-3 had a bearing either....games morph anyway during play....they were better individually and subsequently collectively.

They had their better players imposing themselves, we didn't.

In which case he underestimates the team at his disposal... 

If the club can finance keeping the majority of that side together then Bruce should have one more shot at it and I am not a Bruce fan, however if as it looks Terry, Snograss, Grabban, Johnstone and Hutton have to go then we may as well look for a fresh approach and give Steve some time to cope with his what he has gone through recently and very professionally put to the back of his mind.

I think it's this simple really.

If we're going to keep the vast majority of the squad, Bruce stays.

If we're going to lose a lot of them and look to bring in some of our younger players then Bruce needs to go.

Which of these I think is best at this stage i'm not sure.

@markavfc40 I agree with literally every word do you’ve saved me the bother of typing it - that at least partly makes up for your complicity in making me sit through the horrible events of yesterday !!!

One Postscript - in his interview he talked about assessing over the next few weeks - I hope that was just diplomatic speak........ the Club should already know if they are keeping him, if JT will re-sign, whether any of the Loanees May stay ( I think not) and which players we are after.........and, if he IS staying he’s already fully assessed everything.

No time to lose either way.

Edited by terrytini

50 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Worrying about who we replace him with is not enough reason to keep him though is it ?

Absolutely, worth worrying about......do you propose playing russian roulette and send us back to the dark days of the las ten years.

yes, its easily done.

I understand the dilemma and your comments have validity,but there really is a lot to lose.

I do not have a fixation on what the answer is.....but if he leaves, i have a real concern on the void he will leave in respect of the stability of the club.

• Like 1

I would keep Bruce on, I'm not saying I like the football we are playing but the way the team has been pulled together this season has been fantastic. If we can keep the bulk of this side together next season and add in some youth along with Grealish and Kodjia's flair then we could see a style of play that we all have cried out for this season.

Realistically this is the team that we can put out next season, and it's still not far from what Bruce has put together himself.

New GK

Hutton Chester  New CB  New LB

Jedinak

Grealish        Hourihane

Adomah         Kodjia               Green

4 minutes ago, Dale said:

In which case he underestimates the team at his disposal... 

Or we over estimate them.....in terms of consistency.

we know what they are capable of.....but they didn't produce it, when it mattered, that is what consistency is all about.

1 hour ago, vreitti said:

Top post. 

Thanks mate. Even more gutted this morning like many others but if the board and owner get it right then no reason at all why Villa won’t be promoted next season.

Â