Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

3 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Just by reading some of the posts in this thread. It’s an utterly amazing method.

Yep, sorry. I've checked my call records, 64 times since November I have called Tony. 

Apologies.

Now, let's take us all back to March when people were told Bruce was the messiah because he got us into 2nd for 48 hours. WHAT A PERIOD OF SUCCESS!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TRO said:

Lets take stock of the difference in this game.

Sessegnon plays a treaded ball through the middle of our defenders and Cairney reads it and responds by running on to it and scores.

The most fundamental movement you can possibly think of....basically embarrassing for experienced players.

so why would i blame the manager for that.....its shite play.

Sb has already explained why he has gone for experience, to sanitise the club of toxic attitude, that has worked, bur perhaps we are not quite ready for the intensity of promotion.

I am not so unconvinced of the brand of football as unconvinced of the ability of the players.

Too many inabililities of individual play existed in that game for me......I am not convinced a better manager, would have got a different result.

as an example and not a conclusive problem.......Elmohamady was so passive and indecisive it was untrue.....no assertion or any sign of confidence in his play....he may still be injured, that i have no idea.....but its piss poor.

So we're back to blaming the players...............

Adomah out of form,  Snodgrass out of form,  Elmo probably not match fit and Grabban way to isolated. We had a spell in the second half for 10 or 15 minutes were we put pressure on them but we never played in front of their back four like they did for their goal.

Our midfield is too close to our defence so our 1 man up to is there purely to chase the ball.

How many times did the keeper kick it long and how many times did our keeper play is short......that's direction coming from management pure and simple.

Bruce has improved the club and he has had a really tough 3 months but we need to improve our squad through coaching and that's were I feel Bruce isn't the man for going forward.

• Like 2

We won't have the money that we need next season, so we will have to use at least a few of our more talented youngsters. Bruce has played lip service to their ability, while choosing to ignore them for a bunch of much older players.

Bruce is not the man to deal with the reality of AVFC 2018/19.

• Like 1

Can't give Bruce another year, the football that has been served up for most this season has been poor. I don't care if we don't get promoted next year, I just want to see some exciting football 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheStagMan said:

None of which are even remotely relevant to the point I was making. None of which apply to what my post said, but no, you just wanted to have one of your usual digs, and as usual you are showing that you have nothing to back it up. 

Well, you asked for my take on the match.

I referred you to my comments in the post match thread. Since you clearly haven’t read them, here is a summary: I had long feared our lack of cutting edge in front of goal would prove our undoing in the playoffs andso it proved. Waiting to see what Xia does next and pissed off to be spending a further season in the shitty Championship.

I faIl to see how such comments should provoke such a personalised tirade from you.

Maybe go and take a walk round the block to calm down?

Edited by briny_ear

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I need to think long and hard. My head says change my heart says keep for 5-6 games next season.  He could rebuild the side.

Look at fulham they stuck with jonkavic and went uo that could be us be t year if bruce rebuilds a younger pacer side.

I can see the arguments both for and against and wouldn’t be adverse to keeping Bruce on - that said I’d also understand should xia make a change - Bruce got so close to achieving the win this season - had Grealish been fit in the first 3 months I think we would have done it .

If he’s here next season, he will have my support.

But if we have another ropey start I don’t want to hear about how games in August and September don’t matter as much and talk of bloody daffodils.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Dick said:

Yep, sorry. I've checked my call records, 64 times since November I have called Tony. 

Apologies.

Now, let's take us all back to March when people were told Bruce was the messiah because he got us into 2nd for 48 hours. WHAT A PERIOD OF SUCCESS!

Please don’t be so angry. It’s bad for the health.

7 minutes ago, TRO said:

****all to do with systems.....its players doing their jobs and communicating.

We sat back and invited them on in 180 minutes against boro, but we did our job.

its not football that i like, but its about players doing their ****Ing job.

for me Adomah should have come off before he did.....he was a passenger.

The players were being told to do the wrong jobs. Decent attacking players acting as defenders and not being allowed to support an isolated striker. We got lucky with a defender heading a goal from a corner over 180 minutes against Middlesborough. That's not the players, it's negative fearful tactics.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

So we're back to blaming the players...............

Adomah out of form,  Snodgrass out of form,  Elmo probably not match fit and Grabban way to isolated. We had a spell in the second half for 10 or 15 minutes were we put pressure on them but we never played in front of their back four like they did for their goal.

Our midfield is too close to our defence so our 1 man up to is there purely to chase the ball.

How many times did the keeper kick it long and how many times did our keeper play is short......that's direction coming from management pure and simple.

Bruce has improved the club and he has had a really tough 3 months but we need to improve our squad through coaching and that's were I feel Bruce isn't the man for going forward.

We play 1 man up front, because the manager feels that the midfield can't cope with less deployment.....its as simple as that.

players have to dominate their position.

1 minute ago, villabromsgrove said:

The players were being told to do the wrong jobs. Decent attacking players acting as defenders and not being allowed to support an isolated striker. We got lucky with a defender heading a goal from a corner over 180 minutes against Middlesborough. That's not the players, it's negative fearful tactics.

We had 45 minutes today to score a goal.....all the huff and puff.....we failed, through inability.

I thought a couple of players were below par - Elmo, and particularly Adomah again.

The key being Adomah. At the least the Kodja switch we e used recently should’ve been at half time.

So the players, partly.

But there is equally no doubt in my mind that tactically Bruce was too cautious first half. Anyone who thinks the change in approach second half was a fluke is mistaken in my view.

Second half I think we had a good battle against a good team..... although their brutal, and mostly unpunished, treatment of Jack was a disgrace,

Id love us to somehow keep Snoddy and JT but not fussed at the rest who will go.

Id keep Bruce. - but the caution must go for all home games and all but the rarest of away games.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TRO said:

We play 1 man up front, because the manager feels that the midfield can't cope with less deployment.....its as simple as that.

players have to dominate their position.

Don’t agree.

He is sometimes over cautious ( it used to be all the time) and he was this time.

Most the players played well enough.

Some didn’t.

Yes his tactics worked against Boro but they didn’t today... it was too defensive. A huge gap to Grabban.

Mych better approach second half but it’s so hard to come from behind in a Play Off Final - very rare.

So Id say a couple of players let him down, but also he was too careful.

Edited by terrytini
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

Its negative, because the manager does not have the belief the players can take the initiative......what comes first the chicken or the egg.

He protects them by doubling up.....until he can get better players in who can cope on their own.

1 minute ago, terrytini said:

I thought a couple of players were below par - Elmo, and particularly Adomah again.

The key being Adomah. At the least the Kodja switch we e used recently should’ve been at half time.

So the players, partly.

But there is equally no doubt in my mind that tactically Bruce was too cautious first half. Anyone who thinks the change in approach second half was a fluke is mistaken in my view.

Second half I think we had a good battle against a good team..... although their brutal, and mostly unpunished, treatment of Jack was a disgrace,

Id love us to somehow keep Snoddy and JT but not fussed at the rest who will go.

Id keep Bruce. - but the caution must go for all home games and all but the rarest of away games.

Over the hill for next season IMO, badly exposed today, doesn't have the legs. Snodgrass I'm also not all that bothered about, we need someone quicker on that side. Time to evolve things and that starts with a new manager. You can't teach an old dog new tricks and there'll be no changes under Bruce, I can assure you of that.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

Its negative, because the manager does not have the belief the players can take the initiative......what comes first the chicken or the egg.

He protects them by doubling up.....until he can get better players in who can cope on their own.

This is a very weak defense of the manager.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

We had 45 minutes today to score a goal.....all the huff and puff.....we failed, through inability.

Bruce picked the team, 6 of the eleven which started he bought.

Again Imposing out we played one up front but continually the keeper kicked long every time.....Fulham's eeper hardly ever. If Bruce wanted him to stop it would have taken a quick shout from the bench............

Â