Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Interesting that.

I have heard previous interviews where he is at odds with what has been played out.

There is clearly a blindspot here of what he wants and what he is getting.

I am not sure what to say on that Mark.....but its very concerning If he doesn't know.

I have long held the view that some of the stuff I have watched, he can't have planned or be happy with that, such has been my comments.

But he has to sort it out.....If we are too negative and if its not part of his plan, then it could be fear from the individual player.

You are right, he has to come clean and say it as it is......He has been at this game for too long not to know.......He has to deal with it.

When you say he has to sort it out - do you not think he has had long enough to address such issues? 

‘I am neither calling for his head or calling for him to stay - he’s done enough to make it a difficult call for xia .

3 minutes ago, vreitti said:

Why?

Because the expectation and pressure will still be there. Why would a top manager want to try and get a massive club like Villa promoted without the right tools to do it? 

Thats career sucicide in my opinion. 

• Like 1

I have been a Bruce supporter all season and I will continue to do so. But, after watching the game yesterday I believe he got it wrong, certainly in the first half. He has said all season he wanted to build a team around Jack, yet from what I saw, Jack spent most of the time out on the left side for the first 45. in the second, he played more centrally and was way more involved with the game. We were basically a 451 and little hope of keeping possession of the ball. I think it showed in our disjointed 1st half performance.

To hear Bruce say we gave them too much respect in the first half and doesn't understand why it happened, is a worry. He has known these players for a good while now and sadly the team have performed like this throughout the season. We have never been a 90 minute team, we are lucky if we can get a 60 minute team and you can't win a play-off final if we play a 45 minute game like we did yesterday. Part of this is down to Bruce and if he can't give reassurances to Tony that this is going to change then I think it is time for him to go. I agree with @TRO that the team is too inconsistent, but it can't be all down the players. Bruce has to hold his hands up and admit his part .

If Jack stays then Bruce needs to put some more like minded players around him. Players on the same wave length, more movement, and creativity than what we had this year. We don't have may players who can surprise the opposition and it was very reliant on Jack to create something out of nothing. We may have those players in the U23's and I'm hoping whoever is manager next year that the excitement continues to grow at Villa Park.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Eastie said:

No idea who told you that but He certainly never got Sunderland to their highest ever league finish .

I thought Peter Reid achieved this? - sorry to go off topic 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Because the expectation and pressure will still be there. Why would a top manager want to try and get a massive club like Villa promoted without the right tools to do it? 

Thats career sucicide in my opinion. 

But people keep telling me we're not a big club anymore. There should be no genuine expectation or pressure. We can't even mention managers like Eddie Howe, and Aston Villa in the same sentence. Here you are saying we're in fact massive ?. Now I'm really confused.... Which is it!? 

2 minutes ago, vreitti said:

But people keep telling me we're not a big club anymore. There should be no genuine expectation or pressure. We can't even mention managers like Eddie Howe, and Aston Villa in the same sentence. Here you are saying we're in fact massive ?. Now I'm really confused.... Which is it!? 

I don't really want to wade in to this part of the discussion, but I will add this.

If Newcastle can get Benitez in the championship, then you are correct @vreitti we should be looking at managers of a high calibre, whether they decide to come or not is their challenge to face.

1 hour ago, vreitti said:

Well at least Bruce seem to think so, as he keeps mentioning it almost in every interview. 

I agree, it shouldn't be used as an excuse. 

He mentions it in every interview because there are a lot of fans like yourself that cling on to Aston Villa being a big club still.

Now yes we were a big club and we could yet again become one, but we spent 5 years scraping to clinch survival and 2 years, about to be 3 years in the Championship.

We're not a big club anymore... You can't spend 8 years as a non-entity and still claim you're big. Our history is huge, but our current standings aren't even close.  

Edited by Daweii
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

I don't really want to wade in to this part of the discussion, but I will add this.

If Newcastle can get Benitez in the championship, then you are correct @vreitti we should be looking at managers of a high calibre, whether they decide to come or not is their challenge to face.

Newcastle were not in the championship when they got Benitez though - granted he decided to stick with them but their finances a year ago were far better than ours are now to attract a top manager .  

My only problem with Bruce going is who will be bring in? He has definitely failed and he knows this, but we need a good replacement, not just anyone. How would Bruce cope with a weakened villa team next season when he struggled at times with a good championship team this season. I can't see us being as strong next season, although even if Bruce stays, I can see us challenging for the play off spots, but whether we get there is another thing. 

Just now, AshVilla said:

I think i'll open a relegation thread if the club confirm Bruce is staying on as manager.

Won't get that bad, but might want to open a apathy thread.

But I just couldn't bother doing it.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I have little doubt that if Bruce stays, we'd plod along, making the same mistakes, playing shit, predictable football,  but we'd probably make the play offs again. Almost certainly if we have a season of Grealish, Kodjia and Chester. 

All season Johnstone's first thought when clearing is to hoof the ball up the pitch, has Bruce not coached him to do that?

None of the midfield come deep enough to support the defence if he throws the ball out especially not Connor who is usually wandering off doing god knows what.

Too often Bruce has set us up negatively, lumping the ball forward is pointless when we only have Grabban on his own up their flicking the balls onto, nobody.

If Bruce stays he can't continue to be shocked at why we don't win, he has to re-watch the times we destroyed teams like Wolves and play like that, he has an army of assistant coaches to help him, many of whom have and could be managers in their own right.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Newcastle were not in the championship when they got Benitez though - granted he decided to stick with them but their finances a year ago were far better than ours are now to attract a top manager .  

Yes, I know they were PL when they attained his services.

To retain a manager like Benitez for a season in the championship is still quite a coup though.

I didn't consider the financial side to it all, I am ignorant to it.

I should probably look in to it to better gauge where the club should be directing itself.

21 minutes ago, Daweii said:

He mentions it in every interview because there are a lot of fans like yourself that cling on to Aston Villa being a big club still.

Now yes we were a big club and we could yet again become one, but we spent 5 years scraping to clinch survival and 2 years, about to be 3 years in the Championship.

We're not a big club anymore... You can't spend 8 years as a non-entity and still claim you're big. Our history is huge, but our current standings aren't even close.  

Well I disagree. Don't think division really matters in this regard, since we aren't exactly in the conference either. We have a big following, both domestic and abroad. We have a great big stadium. We were an established Premier League side for over 20 years. We are IMHO a big english football club. This will of course fade away given time, if we remain absent from today's media coverage, and the top tier. We're not there yet though. I'd suspect the likes of the great Eddie Howe even regards us a a big club.

3 minutes ago, vreitti said:

Well I disagree. Don't think division really matters in this regard, since we aren't exactly in the conference either. We have a big following, both domestic and abroad. We have a great big stadium. We were an established Premier League side for over 20 years. We are IMHO a big english football club. This will of course fade away given time, if we remain absent from today's media coverage, and the top tier. We're not there yet though. I'd suspect the likes of the great Eddie Howe even regards us a a big club.

I don’t think Howe would even consider villa for a moment at this moment in time - had we won yesterday then a premier club with cash would have been a much more attractive prospect .

However we are a championship club with little cash to spend and whilst we may attract other championship  managers I can’t see any premier league manager leaving their  club to drop down a league .

The climate is very different to when Taylor left Watford for villa - money to a large extent has ruined the game I loved . 

• Like 1

Â